free hit
counters
Evora Turbine Wheels - Page 2 - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Keeping the brakes cool is a good thing too, motorsports cars have extensive ducting for exactly this reason.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

How do I put this without coming across as offensive.....

I think they look a bit to American, you know a bit blingy/showy. I don't want to tar all Americans with the same brush but you know what I mean right??

Of course I do. I'm an American, and many Americans are quite hideous. Well, many people in general are quite hideous, but yes, I get what you mean.

I think the basic problem is that for the extra cost, I'm not sure I like them better than the original classic silver wheels, which I think are great. The only wheels I really don't like are the forged sport wheels, which just look blocky to me.

1983 "Investor's Special Edition" Turbo Esprit (#43/50) | 2012 Evora S

They are hideous!

Not sure I would go that far Justin

Murrays have an Evora for sale with them on

...........................and it is truly disgusting Moxie! Don't consider!

Ahmmm.... ;)

Bloody hell, who'd have thought this would bring up such strong feelings! Screw it, I'm getting these...

post-6978-0-54182000-1337716003.jpg

I hear the Turbine rims look especially hot on a silver, light blue, mid blue or grey. :lol:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Implication being it'll look like crap on Burnt Orange? Have mercy!!!

Ya know what--I might get them anyway. I really dig 'em. One technical concern would be that they would drive rain on to the rotors and induce initial brake loss.

Honda Prelude VTECs have handed wheels for this very reason to cool the brakes, it is the same principle

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Justin - My defense for the original posting is that was before I saw them in the alloy on an Evora. :harhar:

Moxie I'm with you on the original double 5 spoke design in any of the permutations (silver, stealth, satin or gloss black). Not a lover of the the forged wheel no matter what it does for dynamics. They were actually on my new car when traded in and I had MMC swap me out for the originals on my first car even if forged were originally more expensive.

Ah, this argument discussion is like trying to decide on which lady is the hotest when looking through beer goggles. :animier: All down to personal preference and how pi$$ed you are! :wub::cheers::hrhr:

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Autocar's Best UK Drivers Car 2009. Car's Performance Car of the Year 2009; Evo's Car of the Year 2009. Top Gear Sports Car of the Year 2009

I'm still not decided on those wheels. An interesting option for those who are sure about them and don't care about what others say.

Lets start a poll and Matt promisses to abide by the majority decision :gathering:

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

Thans you Jim. Just remember--if there is a poll and you vote yes, you'll have to suffer their sight at LOG 32.

I say it all depends on if they're extra rare and say "Lotus Sport" or not. I really dig that and would live without the badges. Plus I want to see what kinds of humorous insults Kyle and Art can muster.

I stopped by my dealer today and stared at the classic wheels on a few cars. Still hard to beat. They look great, but it would be cool to have something different, preferably inscribed with the phrase "Lotus Sport for a Tacky Yank" on them.

OK, the plot thickens. According to unnamed sources the turbines with "Lotus Sport" engraved on them but no badges are prototype versions, and both are manufactured by Rimstock. Production versions are the opposite, with no script, but badges. The eBay seller finally posted photos from all angles, below. Assuming the price with standard P Zeros isn't insane, I'm totally sold. Damn the torpedoes--seen from all angles I don't think these are blingy--I think they're beautiful, tasteful, and compliment the flow of the car and are just plain different:

post-6978-0-14672400-1337865294.jpg

post-6978-0-13247600-1337865301.jpg

post-6978-0-05328400-1337865310.jpg

post-6978-0-64808100-1337865318.jpg

post-6978-0-05756800-1337865326.jpg

post-6978-0-70720700-1337865333.jpg

post-6978-0-11825300-1337865342.jpg

Matt,

The photos you posted of the grey car with turbines actually looks pretty good. The Evora is very much a car that lends itself to certain looks. I personally think it looks best in elegant conservative colors (which explains my order) but other really like the bright colors (like the one you ordered). THe turbine wheels have a bit of a boy racer look to them (not that that is a bad thing) and I think on cars with bright colorful exteriors they'll look a lot better than on the mundane grey scale or dark conservative color. I also think they look better with the Lotus badge centercaps rather than the Lotus Sport script.

Looking forward to seeing them in person.

Kyle Kaulback

Somehow they remind me of these wheels.

gl3180_1024x768.jpg

You wouldn't want to be seen in those would you?

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

Dunno, they've had those on VWs over here for years and I sort of like them on the GTI.

As I see it this is what will happen eventually...

When you go to change out your tires for the first time ( I will be conservative and say 5000 miles because we all KNOW you will be using your Skip Barber training that you have acquired to drift every on and off ramp of the LIE and the NY Thruway driving to Jill's for TSL meetings )... anyHOO...

What will happen is the first time the tires are replaced by the young tire technician, of whom never saw one of his teachers ever at P.S. 230 because he skipped everyday so he could spend all of his time smoking weed and eating White Castle burgers for breakfast, he will pull off all four wheels at the same time and lay them in a pile next to the tire removal machine. Then he will proceed to install the directional tires the wrong way on the rims and some if not all will be reversed.

At this point Iconic Ride ( Calling John ... ) can explain the physics behind the turbine wheels no causing disturbances in the force...

Otherwise...I say if you like them get them...purchase for what you want...not resale.

Edited by cjtpb13

For what it's worth I think they look great on that grey car.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Due to exorbitant cost ($8K+ ?!) and my being convinced, rather brutally, by a friend that while they are indeed nice wheels they nevertheless distract from Mr. Carr's lovely design, I'm going with Stealth Grey Classics, which will hide brake dust and those annoying dings you get with silver. I used to think they only looked good on Chrome Orange, but having done some digging, I'm digging them on Burnt Orange...

post-6978-0-72267100-1338216772.jpg

post-6978-0-14034400-1338216786.jpg

post-6978-0-71599100-1338216795.jpg

Due to exorbitant cost ($8K+ ?!)

Wow, over here there are listed at €3,999. And that is already expensive!

Wheels: ~$1,500 per, ~$6,000 per set

Front Tires: ~$300 per

Rear Tires: ~$450 per

Center Caps: ~$35 per

Total: ~$7,640, not including mounting, balancing, or TPM sensors

The hell with that.

When you go to change out your tires for the first time ( I will be conservative and say 5000 miles because we all KNOW you will be using your Skip Barber training that you have acquired to drift every on and off ramp of the LIE and the NY Thruway driving to Jill's for TSL meetings )... anyHOO...

I think I actually learned more about drifting from Bibs on roundabouts than from Skip Barber. :)

Matt, so glad you didn't get the turbines. The selection you ended up with is so much better looking. That car with the turbines in So-Cal is still for sale, and I'd say the wheels are part of the reason why. Not to mention I'd think they would be hella hard to repair or replace later on in the car's life. I think the wheels you've got will be much more usable.

With the turbines reaching in to clean the inside of the wheel would be almost impossible!

Thanks Josh, but now that I swapped them out for the 19"/20" diamond cuts, I'm having a hard time swapping back:

Oranguthang-Manhasset2.jpg

Bob Fogle and I are going to split the driving down to Orlando for LOG 32 next weekend and will put the Stealth Grey Classics back on because they're so much quieter, but I found a way to ship the diamond cuts super cheap down there for the track day.

When's your baby showing up?