free hit
counters
Road Testing - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Road Testing

Why does Lotus along with every other performance car manufactuer always show their cars on track drifting around a corner at speed clipping apexes and in general showing the car as it should never be driven on public roads ?

I would love to see Lotus paint a 12 ft lane on their track and show the world why you should buy a car built for the real world not some kids video game.

Maybe teach Lotus owners to stay in their own lane instead of playin Ricky Racer...

Let's see a Lotus stay in it's own lane at speed and not the usual hype of smokin tires and clipin apexes..

Maybe they will sell a few. :whistle:

I think it's fast enough…maybe

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:huh:

Because it's exciting and appeals to people who are looking to buy a performance car... Ability on the limit is more appealing that it's straight line stability or reverse parking skills! That's like asking Hussain Bolt to walk and giving him a gold medal!

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Why does Lotus along with every other performance car manufactuer always show their cars on track drifting around a corner at speed clipping apexes and in general showing the car as it should never be driven on public roads ?

Because they are performance cars?

Fantasy sells - its like asking why lingerie companies never show their products on an average girl rather than a supermodel.

Edited by Nelly9000

But the real test to see who's got the best performance car is the real world.

Can it stay in it's own lane on a twistie bit of road at speed and stop in a straight line.?...

Seriously test the Lotus against other performance cars on a track with a 12 ft lane painted on the tarmac....

I know I've never seen any other car but a Lotus stay in it's lane at speed... Porsche, Lambo, Ferrari are all over the centerline....

Cross the centerline and you are an accedent lookin for a place to happen....

Come on Lotus show the world what a true performance sports car can do against the big guys...

If you want to sell fantasy remember this, everyone will wake up sooner or later and dreams fade as do customers...

Edited by ronin

Something a bit like this, eh Frank?

http://youtu.be/sGHOYZ8r_oI

Now who might that be at the helm?........ :whistle::D

Edited by Iconic Ride

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

:whistle: Nahh that would be too unfair giving the Lotus a major advantage.

Just paint a 12' lane on the Lotus test track and have a nice even handling shoot out at real speed, not some autocross BS but all out around the track as fast as you can without crossing the centerline..

If need be I think this may be a better road for a fair test.... I hear Porsche drivers like the mountains but I never seem to find any up here.. :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bNGBZAg4jc

Edited by ronin

Aren't test tracks one way? So moving "out of your lane" means going on to the grass - it's the same for everyone. What an odd complaint.

If you regularly see "Porsche, Lambo, Ferrari are all over the centerline" when driving on roads then maybe the drivers are drunk, rather than it being an inherent and undiscovered flaw with all thier cars which only Lotus have solved.

From driving my Landrover this morning it seems that even vague steering 4x4s on off road tyres can stick to their own lane. Porsche, Lambo and Ferrari clearly have a lot to learn.

:huh:

Because it's exciting and appeals to people who are looking to buy a performance car... Ability on the limit is more appealing that it's straight line stability or reverse parking skills! That's like asking Hussain Bolt to walk and giving him a gold medal!

Actually I am not convinced. When i first got my elise, the OEM P-zeros were just frightening on a damp road, not sure I would have kept the car as an all year drive if the Advans had not come along. Straight line stability at up to 100mph is FAR mre important in the real world, as is the ability to talk to a passenger at 70 mph without shouting (if you go upmarket from original Elise).

To me "pin sharp to the limit" steering will be better on the road, where gradually increasing understeer may prevent dramatic oversteer, but can also put you over a white line

The point is to have a test to see how well a car can handle real world conditions..... Staying in your own lane is tha hardest thing to do on a twisty section of road at speed..... I say paint a lane on the new test track and mount a video camera on the door to prove what a proper handling car can do in the real world.....

Smokin tires and driftin around a 60' corner would never make me want a new car or would fastest lap times at the "Ring".

There are no apexes in the real world of 12' lanes.. :whistle:

Edited by ronin

The cars do hundreds, seriously, hundreds of thousands of miles on public roads before they are put on sale as part of their development. I thought that was pretty common knowledge, Lotus don't just test cars around the track at Hethel then put a sticker in the windscreen.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I think the point Ronin is making is valid and very similar to a comment Jenson Button made recently and was pooh pooh'd by Clarkson for it.

Basically Jenson's point was that the fastest way round a racetrack or road is not sliding wildly beyond the limit of adhesion but actually being on that limit.

Whilst I agree that wild drifts and sliding look great and provide a spectacle they are by no means the fastest way around.

This is also being proved throughout motorsport. Loeb is not a wild tail out merchant like McRae was and he is all the faster and more consistent for it!!

It makes me laugh that Clarson was the criticiser on this point as the faster 'Star in a reasonalbly fast car' laps around the TG track are actually the least dramatic ones. There is the odd quick wild one but then you have to wonder how quick that person would be if they weren't as wild!!

Also I have to say that I would have thought Lotus would stay away from the lairy slidey stuff, Admittedly it proves there cars are easy to control on the limit and balanced nicely but they are renouned for compliant chasis that allow you to go very quickly without crossing that boundary!!

Bibs, dude I know that, the point I'm tryin to make is Lotus needs to show those that don't know how well a Lotus handles in the real world is to compare cars in real world conditions.......

I'll never take my car to the ring and try for a Lotus lap record but I do know first hand what it can do in the real world and how it compares to Ferrari, Porsche and the like in the real world..

I think that kind of marketing approach is far better than a $150.00 tee shirt... :ermm:

But I do have to tell peeps all the time what kind of car it is.... :wallbash:

Edited by ronin

"Yeah, but who makes it?" :D

I had a little run up and down our "Great Dividing Range" yesterday and I can tell you I was using all the road, both sides of the line, even the other Lotus's couldn't keep up. :ninja:

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Well, I've let go of my willie, and am now preparing to [possibly] step on it by asking a hypothetical question.

I've not had the honor of participating as a driver in the Monaco Grand Prix, but, like many, I have had the priviledge of driving its circuit on its more "ordinary" days, and can vouch for the fact that it in fact contains striped lanes. So..........would this race be a more exemplary test of chassis (and driver) performance if Vettel, et al, were required to stay within the appropriate lane during the annual competition? Except for passing, of course (and the gentlemanly use of turn signals :innocent: ), though there are those who swear that overtakes in Monaco are as likely as running over a unicorn (but this is mostly conjecture).

Lines, white red, green, purple, maybe yellow, are put there by the "authorities" to separate vehicles travelling in different directions. No vehicle coming the other way ? they are superfluous, to be ignored, unless Mr Plod is around, in which case he request "contributions", in which instant the lines become a revenue generator. So long as you keep it on the black bit, she's all cool. Or as Lewis would say "Wicked". :D

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)