free hit
counters
F1 split between BBC and SKY. - Motorsport & Trackdays - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

F1 split between BBC and SKY.

L666

WTF.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12433_7066182,00.html

Only half the races shown on the Beeb and all of them shown on Sky - viewable only if you *have* SKY TV and if you can tolerate moronic advert breaks every 7 minutes or during vital overtaking moves. Or you watch a highlights programme on the Beeb and miss out on the entire race.

What a mess :angry:

BSkyB also report £1bn pre-tax profits. Will this be reflected in reduced charges for the customers? Doubt it. &%@*#!

Photography portfolio - www.rache.co.uk

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sky Sports do not have the ITV habit of the breaks shambles you refer to.

Their sports coverage is equal in most respects if not better than any other quality broadcaster.

Don't blame Sky because Bernie wants sums of money that many broadcasters, including the BBC cannot afford.

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Are the races going to be on Sky One or will we have to subscribe to Sky Sports?

PS Ring Sky and tell them you're leaving, you'll get it half price for six months, I just did :D

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I think I would sooner save the money on the sky sport subs and spend it on attending a race once a year.

This is a real shame but I guess its the commercial reality of the world we live in. Personally I think this is a bad move for the sport.

Cliff

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. : Albert Einstein

Whitmarsh states:

Whitmarsh said moves to take F1 off free-to-air could be viewed as a breach of the Concorde Agreement, with him claiming that there were clauses in the deal that ties the teams, Ecclestone and the FIA together that guarantees the sport's broadcast platform.

"We've got a range of safeguards within Concorde, and the right thing to do is to explore how the Formula 1 coverage is going to be dealt with in the future, and take a view from there," he said. "I don't know how many homes in the UK have Sky, but it is a pretty high proportion."

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

A much lower proportion of whom have the Sports package...

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I've been following F1 for 43 years since I 'discovered' it via a school friend. Initially that meant snippets of black and white 'newsreel' type coverage, occasional articles in the press or Autosport coverage. The last couple of decades have been super with the increasing coverage provided by the terrestrial broadcasters.

This is a massively retrograde step for me.... I have a SKY subscription but do not take any of the sports channels as I have only the vaguest of passing interest in twerpball, llama-juggling, fish-tiddlywinks, marsupial-dressage or virtually any other forms of 'contest' based broadcasting with their endless stat-panels, news?-flashes or interminable screen-crawler ribbons which clutter up the landscape on my tv.

Of course it 'increases viewer choice' doesn't it? You either pay for it, or not. At the moment I am favouring the 'not' option but that may depend on how bad the withdrawal symptoms are......

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice.<br />

<br />

In practice, there is!

and how many of those follow F1?

they tried a pay for view system before and it was a complete flop Sky are very clever at self promotion so only time will tell if this works or not.

Cliff

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. : Albert Einstein

and how many of those follow F1?

they tried a pay for view system before and it was a complete flop Sky are very clever at self promotion so only time will tell if this works or not.

'Bernie-vision' is just about the only thing in recent years that doesn't seem to have worked out for Mr E. I can't wish SKY any more success than he achieved.

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice.<br />

<br />

In practice, there is!

One of my main reasons for getting Sky in the first place was to get access to the F1 pay-per-view coverage, and all the interactive features....most of which the BBC currently provide, after the years of the ITV wasteland. Of course, the PPV was withdrawn soon after I subscribed......(!) I wouldn't mind if the Sky coverage was on PPV, as I could then choose whether or not to watch, in full, the races that BBC weren't carrying. I shall NOT be subscribing to Sky Sports as I have zero interest in the tat that they transmit...groups of people chasing balls about in some tribal display. I have been looking back at the joy with which the BBC announced they had got the F1 coverage back....in 2008...with a 5 year deal, which makes 2013 as far as my sums go....so they've redesigned arithmetic, too, it seems. In those days the BBC had a discussion forum, "606" and the joy that their viewers manifested on there is also apparent. Of course, this forum has been withdrawn, so we can't voice our disapproval of the current disaster.....Sky do have a forum, and I've yet to see anything supportive of the "new deal" on it!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

So what will the Sky coverage cost? The thought of lining the Murdoch's pockets to watch what's been available for free since the beginning of F1 TV coverage is sickening.

Currently having an illicit affair with another marque, be back in the fold one day... B-)

You got 12 months? :huh:

Evora NA

Made me giggle the other day when Sky ran an advert saying how they where listening to customers by freezing the subscriptions for I think a year. "Look no price hike this year,gee thanks". Last time I walked down a high street or opened a paper most non essential consumer goods where being reduced, big time.

Cliff

I have Sky and was about to get Sky Sports as well, as I get to watch the footy. But I think this is a bad move for F1 as a whole. Brotish GP saw 8 million turning on. Wonder how many of the 10 million subscribers to sky have sports and would have watched it.

I would very strongly suspect that Sponsors will be very concerned over this move and the reduction in their "Air time to the masses".

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Sky Sport is an extra £20.25/month. They can FRO!!

Evora NA

Really? Holy Crap!! Maybe I won't be getting it!!

Sky has confirmed that it will not run adverts during its broadcast coverage of Formula 1 races next year, and will instead limit them to the pre and post-race show.

Full story: Autosport

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

post-1-0-23428200-1311953877.jpg

Evora NA

so if my sums are right it will cost £477 per year (currently) to get all the F1 races on TV in the future. That's £19.50 for the minimum basic tv pack and an extra £20.25 per month for the sport pack. (£19.50+£20.25 = £39.75 x 12 = £477).

That works out at just over £25 a race (£477/19) for those that only want it for F1 that is. The pub may be a tempting location on race days me thinks :)

Cliff

That works out at just over £25 a race (£477/19) for those that only want it for F1 that is. The pub may be a tempting location on race days me thinks :)

I'd come to a similar figure... in effect that's £25 free beer if you watch the races at a pub! Meanwhile if the Beeb can keep Austrailia, Monaco, Canada, Silverstone, Spa, Monza & Brazil, Sky can keep all the rubbish Tilke circuits. More time to mow the lawn on a Sunday and other such exciting things!

Edited by Stirling_Villeneuve

Currently having an illicit affair with another marque, be back in the fold one day... B-)

I guess that France will be next in Line, TF1 the free to air broadcaster is set to move away from F1! lack of sponsor, french team or driver is not helping the sport much in this country! Canal+ could buy the rights but then again no more free to air although it means no more atrocious ad breaks!

This deal reminds me of the most terrible coverage that Champcar had in the US when the series was still alive! Or the even more dismal coverage Indycar does enjoy these days!

Come on BBC reduce the cost of coverage streamline the production get a better deal with the US, Canada, Australia who are already using your signal and keep the broadcasting free to air! I know it can't be that easy!

However I'd rather have F1 to build a proper online streaming service with live coverage of everything F1 than to pay Canal+ or Sky to watch 20 football games a week and 2 F1 races a month!

Edited by NedaSay

• 2 weeks later...

We will still get all races on the Beeb just half of them will be highlights, just like I remember in the 70's, which means on those days you have to avoid the news till 10pm or whatever time they are allowed to show it. I for one will not be paying for Sky Sports on top of the £43 I already pay. Virgin media is staring to look more and more attractive.

I wonder who they will get to front it? some of the ITV crew went to the Beeb, I wonder if Brundle & Co will head to Sky? I heard Jake Humphry on Chris Moyles the day the announcement came out and he sounded quite emotional and angry.

I bet EJ follows the $.

I like the idea of going to the pub and actually saving money!