free hit
counters
Just fitted a late V8 lower front spoiler lip - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Just fitted a late V8 lower front spoiler lip

Hi,

The weather was nice over the weekend, so having had a late V8 front spoiler lip and rubber skirt sitting in my workshop for at least a year, I thought I better fit it.

The whole job wasn't that bad, the lip is a SJ fibreglass copy, nice gel and fibreglass work, only needed a small amount of rework. The only thing I did do that's different to the originals was to get rid of the centre join. this was a simple job of some P40 to hold it quickly, then once off the car again I laminated it up with some fibreglass matting.

A final bit of P38 filler and a quick blocking and it was ready to paint. A quick coat of high build primer, then a bake in the sun, finally a dust coat of black and then a wet flat. the final paint was another coat of primer to cover where I had wet flatted through, then on with the colour.

I used white primer as it was yellow, the yellow was a can of mixed paint made to order. Just go to a paint factor shop, provide the colour code and they mix it and supply it in an aerosol, neat. The only down side with them is, once you have activated the hardner, you have to use it, it only has a 4-6 hour pot life. I was really pleased with the finish for an aerosol, a deep shine. The whole thing is held on with some massive roofing bolts, stainless steel as well. They are the self tapping type with a washer already attached, so where ideal for the job.

I know the colour is slightly off, but they only mix to the paint code, plus I am hoping to get the front end of the car repainted next year, so it will be done again any way. Here are some pictures of the results. I have never liked the style of the GT3/S4/S4s lower front lip, the reason for replacing it, I think the later one is so much nicer with it's simple lines.

Owen.

5995982754_369fbc3880_z.jpg

5995987598_c72c671fc6_z.jpg

5995415607_4cbb06ed90_z.jpg

5995990434_b61ec23219_z.jpg

5995440351_9dc5eb0656_z.jpg

5995423045_2e95219fea_z.jpg

5995444085_73d11dfaa0_z.jpg

Edited by OwenGT3

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you now have something like -lets say a 'front splitter/spoiler' ..right ?! So for what at least, can you make a use of it -as there is no active underfloor & diffusor on our Esprits in stock condition.. :huh:

..anyway -nice homework done ! :smoke:

Edited by Günter

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

£5 says you break it in the first 1000ml........................

Well my car is lowered, and I've been driving that now for a while, so know what to avoid and when to slow down so the front doesn't get damaged. I added a rubber lip to the old one, that would scrape the ground, so I know this one is going to as well. the thing is with this one, it's a proper Lotus rubber spoiler, so is not attached to the actual lower lip, so flex's without stressing the lower lip, hopefully it will be alright.

Did the V8 have different spoilers then? I thought I'd made my mind up that what I needed was a V8 mainly because I didn't like the front spoilers so much of the other models, but how many types were there? The ones I've seen look a bit more 'scoopy' with more holes...

Also Bibs said it was a nightmare to change them and it doesn't seem you had too much trouble, I would be happy to buy the spoiler bits I wanted if they could be added fairly easily.

"All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad."

~ Jeremy Clarkson (about the Lotus Esprit)

Did the V8 have different spoilers then? I thought I'd made my mind up that what I needed was a V8 mainly because I didn't like the front spoilers so much of the other models, but how many types were there? The ones I've seen look a bit more 'scoopy' with more holes...

Also Bibs said it was a nightmare to change them and it doesn't seem you had too much trouble, I would be happy to buy the spoiler bits I wanted if they could be added fairly easily.

Hi Roz, the lower lip I've fitted is a late V8 version, I think they were fitted from 2002. The earlier models had the same lower lip as the GT3/S4/ S4s. Most were straight black, but some people do have them painted body colour.

As for fitting, expect to do some grinding of rusted bolts to get the two front under belly enclosure pans off, plus the original lower spoiler. All the caged nuts will spin round, so most will have to be grinded off as well. As mine has been off about a couple of years ago it wasn't so bad to remove it this time around, although some grinding of bolt heads was required. Once all off it's easy to get to the other half of the grinded off bolts so they won't be rattling around in the car.

As mine is now all held together with stainless bolts it shouldn't be so bad if it has to come off again. The only other thing I had to do was to remove some of the fibreglass from the enclosure pans as they were tight against the rubber lip. I'll take a photograph of the underside and post so you can see how it's held together. The bolts I used were 40 mm long self taping style, threaded right into the valance plastic.

It had it's first city speed hump test this morning. Just a small scrape as you go up and down off the speed hump, but it is only the rubber. I check once at work and it just leaves some minor marks, which is to be expected. The thing is just to go slowly over them thus reducing bounce.

Edited by OwenGT3

Very nice Owen.

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Hi Owen, I think I made a mistake thinking you'd fit the entire front spoiler, but I now see where the lip is, and it does look very nice. Thanks for the detailed explanation though. :D

"All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad."

~ Jeremy Clarkson (about the Lotus Esprit)

• 5 years later...