free hit
counters
Cold air intake - Page 15 - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Cold air intake

• Gold FFM
20 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

Ffs chap - come on - it’s a bolt on item 

Yes I watched the u tube and I got lost after 3 mins

there are some skills which I admire in folk and those mechanically or DIY minded is those however I am really pi** poor at these things so I rather leave it to those more adept 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Happily agree with Barry, if you can wield a spanner, you can remove the airbox and fit the CAI.

Just approach it slowly, there's nothing remotely complicated involved in the fitting.

Edited by trcm
  • Like 1

• Gold FFM
5 minutes ago, Cdm2018 said:

Yes I watched the u tube and I got lost after 3 mins

Honestly it’s not like you had to take a 110mm holesaw to the side of the car like I did on the esprit.

Only here once

• Gold FFM

after ya have took things off !!! 🙄 id prob be ok with doing it just at mo the evora is a special thing so white gloves involved lol

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@mdavies (Tried to message directly, but I think it's currently disabled).

Apologies for the blast from the past, but....

I am still playing around with my S and am aware from my own testing that the standard box got fairly well heat soaked even after 10 minutes, so - Radium no longer being around - I am experimenting with a 76mm (internal diameter) alu tube with an air straightener and BMC FBTW76-140 filter, no issues so far, but at idle the engine bay temps can obviously rocket so I want to design a baffle to segregate the left hand side of the engine bay.

Would you happen to have any old photos of your CAI and particularly the 'overlapping velcro'd plates' as I'm currently playing around with a cardboard mock up, but hadn't considered a two part design until I read your post.

I appreciate you may no longer have any records, but if you do I'd very much appreciate it, cheers, Tom.

Tom, many apologies, but only just seen your post. I'll try to find some photos tomorrow, but then was using a previous computer, now a stand by. Might have them. Also on Photobucket, but that went subscription only. Afraid can't promise anything though.  Don't know why messaging didn't work - I've not knowingly changed anything. M

P1040166.jpg.e9fcab317f3be1db6bebd8a7317197a0.jpgCAIproto1.jpg.92b40e932de96e645dab975d2b41cc40.jpg

I this helps its the original cai/ radium development pics.  I made something similar using the corrugated heat shield you can buy.  I was looking for the pics of the DIY kit I mad for mine but seem to have lost them along the way. Basically I played with tube lengths and diameters and the MAF positioning until I found the most reliable position/length/dia that gave me the maximum RR figures at TDI.  If I find the pics I'll post them. You will need to check your AFR figures to avoid leaning out.

• Like 1

Collected my photos - masses of them!  Many of my developed Radium intake, with a larger, longer filter - offset as the original had to be. TDI had measured that the basic Radium specc'ed filter was restricting flow. It was too small as easier for "everybody" to fit. I fettled the Radium mounting and the Radium baffle and just managed. (Allowing for some engine movement.) New filter allowed me to fit a venturi inside it which screened out the 90 deg part close to the tube but allowed (I think) 14% greater effective filter area. For that I covered the Radium baffle with cooking foil - reflected a little heat (!?) - Photo 1 but the foil hides where I had to cut the baffle slightly.

The two part baffle was to try a HKS filter - tricky. Radium tube inverted and various changes - TDI thought couldn't be done! - Photo 2, and 3 installed but without baffle as couldn't then see HKS. (Allowed engine movement.)  The two part baffle is in photo 4. Don't seem to have a photo in place.  Strong plastic - much lighter than Radium that catered for  an oil capture tank.  The separate sections fitted right around the repositioned Radium tube, then pressed Velcro together.  It was a pretty good fit everywhere. Better than Radium. Had to remove HKS though TDI tested clearly most power, but AFR was dodgy - over 17:1 or whatever, at all but top revs on the dynos.  As Bruss has warned!

Bruss, interested you were doing similar at TDI. We should have met to discuss it all!

Written all this and now not sure how to attach photos - not done for ages and can't risk losing this. Photos to follow!

• Like 1

Photo 3 - HKS fitted without baffle

Photo 4 - Baffle for HKS, two sections velcro'ed together

Have to take my word that it fitted tightly around the upside-down Radium tube!

DSCN1501.JPG

DSCN1477.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mdavies said:

Collected my photos - masses of them!  Many of my developed Radium intake, with a larger, longer filter - offset as the original had to be. TDI had measured that the basic Radium specc'ed filter was restricting flow. It was too small as easier for "everybody" to fit. I fettled the Radium mounting and the Radium baffle and just managed. (Allowing for some engine movement.) New filter allowed me to fit a venturi inside it which screened out the 90 deg part close to the tube but allowed (I think) 14% greater effective filter area. For that I covered the Radium baffle with cooking foil - reflected a little heat (!?) - Photo 1 but the foil hides where I had to cut the baffle slightly.

The two part baffle was to try a HKS filter - tricky. Radium tube inverted and various changes - TDI thought couldn't be done! - Photo 2, and 3 installed but without baffle as couldn't then see HKS. (Allowed engine movement.)  The two part baffle is in photo 4. Don't seem to have a photo in place.  Strong plastic - much lighter than Radium that catered for  an oil capture tank.  The separate sections fitted right around the repositioned Radium tube, then pressed Velcro together.  It was a pretty good fit everywhere. Better than Radium. Had to remove HKS though TDI tested clearly most power, but AFR was dodgy - over 17:1 or whatever, at all but top revs on the dynos.  As Bruss has warned!

Bruss, interested you were doing similar at TDI. We should have met to discuss it all!

Written all this and now not sure how to attach photos - not done for ages and can't risk losing this. Photos to follow!

Yes shame we didn't compare notes, I started at the beginning of 2012 and final run was May 2013 with the end result. TDI were great once we had worked out how to disable or avoid the Evora's electronic functions.  Very helpful and knowledgeable people down there.

Final iteration.

Run hot so as to include heat soak at track.  A little more available when run just warm. 313 at wheels, approx 355 - 365 at flywheel. Not a bad increase on stock airbox, no other mods.

It's a shame no one now supplies anything like this commercially.

992630570_RX61CVVEvora-4.jpg.72a65246a7b679f7f99323ca0bfab292.jpg

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Mmmm! The threads replies above my last comment seem to indicate fitting this CAI was breeze and I just needed a spanner ! 
after reading the last couple of replies I was lost and my confidence evaporated away 🙁

• Gold FFM

Chap - I’ve not seem a stock Evora intake - but have seem the boe. It’s without doubt an utter piece of pizz to fit. 

Only here once

2 hours ago, Bruss said:

Yes shame we didn't compare notes, I started at the beginning of 2012 and final run was May 2013 with the end result. TDI were great once we had worked out how to disable or avoid the Evora's electronic functions.  Very helpful and knowledgeable people down there.

Final iteration.

Run hot so as to include heat soak at track.  A little more available when run just warm. 313 at wheels, approx 355 - 365 at flywheel. Not a bad increase on stock airbox, no other mods.

It's a shame no one now supplies anything like this commercially.

Bruss, you made a lot more progress than me - great figures!  TDI were excellent indeed, but pity they didn't put us in touch: 2012-13 also. I'd have benefitted - my limit was from not being able to fix the AFR with the HKS - not brave enough to play with the electronics! The HKS venturi was better than mine. Made from plastic tube, bell-shaped out over a funnel under boiling water, then cold to harden. Sliced it to squash overlap smaller to get into filter then held back in normal shape fixed to end of Radium tube.  Bigger filter, plus venturi (also straightened flow into the Radium), plus mixture weakened by better flow (never tripped a fault) together gave just 300.  Hope not boring readers!

• Like 2