free hit
counters
Cold air intake - Page 4 - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lotus run the car rich for a reason. It doesn't run too rich. It is to add cooling at the flame front. Whether its the best way to cool is a moot point, but that is what it does. Overheating of the he

A stock V6S runs at WOT at redline an AFR of 10:1 on stock tune. A V6S with CAI, Larini headers, NO CATS, OEM backbox runs at WOT an AFR of 10.5:1 on stock tune.   Still seems pretty ri

Spent another day testing the intake at the track during the Lotus cup usa HPDE, zero issues with the intake, no CEL, no idle issues and the car felt fast again compared to the stock intake. I w

Posted Images

Does anyone know if they can be fitted to an S or would that be a waste of time?

When I made some enquiries a while ago I found Radium very communicative and helpful via email, and quick to respond, allowing for the time difference.

Radium to response to my S question...

We have not yet test fit on an Evora-S. We are currently looking for a vehicle in our area to use for test fitment.

We will make a public announcement when we have sorted this out.

Radium Engineering LLC

www.radiumauto.com

(971) 221-6417  M-F 9am-5pm PST

To receive product announcements, promotions and more, like us on Facebook at Radium Engineering

"Simplify, then add lightness”

Radium to response to my S question...

We have not yet test fit on an Evora-S. We are currently looking for a vehicle in our area to use for test fitment.

We will make a public announcement when we have sorted this out.

I wonder what the CAI effect on an S will be?

I imagine the improvement on the NA comes from: a) less restriction on the inlet air flow; b) the pressure waves from the resonant intake length "pumping" more inlet air flow at some rpm range; c) accessing cooler air, nearer to external ambient temperature than the standard intake which draws from one end of the engine bay.

With a supercharger fitted I would imagine that its pumping of the inlet air might overshadow effect (a) unless the standard inlet actual gives a significant restriction - unlikely (surely not in a Lotus!), and the standard intake doesn't look that bad.

Effect (b) surely can't apply in the same way. The sc is "in the way", though of course some quite different intake tuning could be relevant.

Effect © would depend on the air temperature effect of the sc - about which I know nothing except that compression generally heats, but the "effective compression" in operation might not be that great. However I guess the inlet air temperature reduction effect would be masked to some degree compared with the NA.

I look forward to learning!

Mel

Secret exhausts, whatever next :lol:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I can't sway because, at the moment, I don't know what like it is, what it sounds like or how much of a difference it makes. All I know is it will be a full system, manifolds, cat and silencer in SS which will, hopefully, yeild good results as a stand alone and get closer to 300bhp when coupled to the CAI.

That and I am some 5000 miles from my car right now makes further evaluation a bit difficult.

My Radium is sat with customs according to the tracking info :(

I assume they are planning on robbing me of my money, this could get expensive.

.:: Lotus Evora 400 - Red ::.. | ..:: Tesla Model S - Midnight Silver | Renault Twizy - Brilliant Black ::..

I can't sway because, at the moment, I don't know what like it is, what it sounds like or how much of a difference it makes. All I know is it will be a full system, manifolds, cat and silencer in SS which will, hopefully, yeild good results as a stand alone and get closer to 300bhp when coupled to the CAI.

That and I am some 5000 miles from my car right now makes further evaluation a bit difficult.

Sounds like 2bular. I was very close to letting Jim use my car to develop his exhaust, but the project started growing arms and legs

My Radium is sat with customs according to the tracking info :(

I assume they are planning on robbing me of my money, this could get expensive.

Dale, sorry to hear that. No hold up or charge happened on the delivery I know about - it arrived by courier at 10.00 am the morning after it landed. Perhaps customs just look in some boxes picked randomly. It was a very large box compared with the size of the bits, which were protected and packed around with lots of foam chips. In fact the box is quite big enough to hold the huge standard intake parts when you put them away! Radium think of everything!

What silencer will you use? I believe the Lotus Sports (made by Janspeed I understand) is a good combination with the CAI.

If you would fit the CAI first, I expect many people would like to hear your thoughts about the CAI with the standard exhaust - well I would anyway! And also, afterwards you could say how things change again with a free flow silencer.

But as it's your car, your CAI, your silencer and you will be doing the job, I wouldn't try and influence you!

Mel

Mel, sorry. I got up early and fitted the Larini and Race Pipe this morning.

I am happy :) Although the pipes did catch on the heat shield on the first run with accelerating, so got a slight rub on the one pipe (no doubt can get it replaced if it bothers me long term for a spare kidney :) ).

I have done a quick video at stand still, but it just doesnt do it justice.

The car is perfectly normal at low revs, but give it some and its super / sport car sounding. So I am a happy chappy :)

Also CAI has apparently now cleared customs.

.:: Lotus Evora 400 - Red ::.. | ..:: Tesla Model S - Midnight Silver | Renault Twizy - Brilliant Black ::..

Tracking update says I have customs fees to pay :(

No idea how much yet, but this really could have been an expensive experience.

Well here it is. I had to pay customs and parcel force a total of £79 to get my hands on it. Sure hope its worth it.

CIMG3068.JPG

Now just need time to fit it :D

Look forward to your feedback :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Well here it is. I had to pay customs and parcel force a total of £79 to get my hands on it. Sure hope its worth it.

Now just need time to fit it :D

All in from Radium delivery charge about £40, paid direct to them, and no customs payment for the one I know of - did you pay anything direct to Radium as well? Do press on with fitting - you know you want to! Any fitting queries, just ask - made a few comments previously. As others, awaiting feedback.

Edit: http://photobucket.com/caifit1

That's a pic of what has proved a satisfactory way of tying down the sport intake actuator solenoid that has to be retained even though all the intake has been removed. Radium instructions don't say how to do it, just that it must be secure - obviously! There don't seem to be many options - seemed about the best. (And that spare length of tie was chopped off after the pic was taken!)

Edited by mdavies

All in from Radium delivery charge about £40, paid direct to them, and no customs payment for the one I know of - did you pay anything direct to Radium as well?

Yup the delivery charge to Radium is $66.95. So like I say not the cheapest of mods. When I get a chance to fit I will give an update.