free hit
counters
Cold air intake - Page 8 - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lotus run the car rich for a reason. It doesn't run too rich. It is to add cooling at the flame front. Whether its the best way to cool is a moot point, but that is what it does. Overheating of the he

A stock V6S runs at WOT at redline an AFR of 10:1 on stock tune. A V6S with CAI, Larini headers, NO CATS, OEM backbox runs at WOT an AFR of 10.5:1 on stock tune.   Still seems pretty ri

Spent another day testing the intake at the track during the Lotus cup usa HPDE, zero issues with the intake, no CEL, no idle issues and the car felt fast again compared to the stock intake. I w

Posted Images

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

This is not the case. The S has a supercharger that requires the induction to come in at a different angle to the N/A. The pipework needs to be adapted for this. There is also the technical aspects of superchager air flow figures, which will be different to the N/A requirements. My guess is that the superchager 'sucks' as much air as it can handle, the restriciton is the airbox itself. Without that restriction will the Radium type system suck too much air and then need a remap to compensate? I'd like to give it a try but haven't yet found anyone to do the work at an affordable cost.

Anyone taken a look at what the GTN kit includes in this regard? The brochure just refers to a performance air filter, so not clear whether that is just a different filter element or changes to the whole unit. Given the GTN kit also includes the supercharger I assume the two are compatible.

It's simply a performance air filter

With a forthcoming super-performance optional upgrade: 1) Open filter housing 2) Remove air filter 3) Close filter housing.

Edited by mdavies

Hi Michael - Please place ads in our classifieds for free - http://www.lotusforsale.com

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• 2 weeks later...

Tip for highspeed driving with the Radium CAI: I drove yesterday to Düsseldorf in the early morning and back in the evening=a lot of higspeed driving on german highway. To solve the "above 3000 RPM noiseproblem" I tried earplugs... and it worked. OK, no sound listening possible. But in fact, after totally 9 hours of drive no headbuzzing at all. Topspeed was 300 km/h visible, was 280 Km/h on the Alpine Navi scale. (Tires still alive).

280 Km/h = 174 mph from your satnav, so pretty accurate.

Ritchie, that's a lot more power than standard, giving 167 mph or whatever!

Thank you for that, and as the first here to post about the big difference the CAI makes, I'm pleased at yet more confirmation! The first regarding top speed that I'm aware of. Also long distance high power and no problems!

To repeat, repeat, repeat, if only Lotus had put some of that into the Evora from the beginning, what a difference it could have made - not to mention the sports car sounds. A "spotter" recently heard me accelerate away and un-prompted posted a comment saying "glorious"! (I think here, but it might have been the other forum.).

Edited by mdavies

Again, it's legislation. Lotus wouldn't be allowed to, there are regulations they have to comply with.

Evora NA

Again, it's legislation. Lotus wouldn't be allowed to, there are regulations they have to comply with.

Yes, I appreciate that, but I can't believe that "some of that" could not be achieved with Lotus' skills. Primarily I mean now, rather than looking backwards. I'm hoping the Goodwood announcements may help.

Squidward, your video is private when I click on it.

Bibs,

How do other manufacturers get away with things then? The y probably don't, but it feels (sounds) like they do. I remember the drive over in WA with the lambos and ferraris. I swear blind all of them, stock, belted the evora (decibel wise) that was there (also stock) at idle. And definitely when driving.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

They're type approved, they've passed the tests.

Evora NA

Obviously that is the case, but I still don't understand why the radium would push the evora past the drive by limit when the other marques I mentioned are much louder?

Am I missing something?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

They aren't?

Evora NA

The Radium passes the drive by limit easily. It sounds absolutely like stock when under 3,500RPM. It is only under heavy acceleration that it gets loud, and only then relatively so - it would still be much quieter than a Lambo at full bottle.

I have driven my IPS with the CAI at well past 180kmh and I certainly did not need ear plugs, although the IPS is probably geared very differently than the manual and revs lower at high speed in 6th.

I have it on good authority that the "Supercar" (Evora) drive by test (there are various drive by noise categories) consists of the following:

Enter the Test at a steady 50km/h in 3rd gear, accelerate with WOT (Wide Open Throttle) for 20m then exit the Test. The car must attain at least 61km/h by the exit. The noise level at midpoint (10m) is the certified noise for the car, maximum permitted is 76.5dB

Ged

The Radium passes the drive by limit easily. It sounds absolutely like stock when under 3,500RPM. It is only under heavy acceleration that it gets loud, and only then relatively so - it would still be much quieter than a Lambo at full bottle.

Yes indeed. I and others have posted about the CAI noise levels in some detail several times previously, on this thread and I think the others where people have marvelled about the CAI difference.

As Koorby has said, you would never know - re noise - in "normal" driving. At medium power there is an increase to a deeper more powerful sound, but well within a normal range. It becomes really loud - yes, loud! - only at high power and high revs. For autoban trips such as Anubis describes above where high power is used constantly, yes I would want earplugs too. But (on an airfield) over here 90-100 mph steady cruising is not loud. In accelerating to that speed, the sound depends on how you do it. Max volume is available at any speed with foot on the floor at 7000 rpm! IMO if you want a quiet (high speed) cruiser, avoid the CAI. If you want a sports car, it's a must.

PS: The top speed increase to 174 mph, from Anubis' drive above, compared with the stated standard (I think) of 163 mph is a power ratio (according to the 3rd power that I believe applies at these speeds) of 1.21. That is, an extra 21% power is needed. I suspect there is likely to have been some incline/wind factor in play there! I found about +10% in my acceleration tests. But it's noticeable, as everyone who has tried it says.

Might be that the longer the engine runs, the better the power. I am nearly 60.000 KM now and I feel (not measured) my Evora goes the longer the easier. Throttleresponse is sensational, gearchange fluid, consumption steady, It really runs like hell. Despite of the CAI and some special sparkplugs I did not changed anything. Maybee also my longruns have an impact (I do not drive at all in cities) I dont know, but... it is fantastic.

Ritchie, I would not dare to disagree with you! Every time I take mine out I think the same - fantastic! Even though I don't have a chance of such high speed as you. Of course you know about the road where you measured your top speed - I was only expressing surprise, and of course, pleasure.

Mine has done only 20,000 Km so far and I am glad it only gets better! It is a terrible shame that Lotus have not marketed the modifications that we have, as dealer or after-market items. It makes the Evora a marvellous sports car and very cheaply. A dealer contact admitted it to me recently. (Not my nearest one, to avoid false assumptions!) It may be that there are concerns about the effect on the S.

Please tell about your special spark plugs. Why the change from standard, and what are they? Is it to do with your long high speed runs?

In all honesty if you add the CAI, Lotus factory sports exhaust and the de-cat of the resonator, the base NA Evora is a better car than the S, and much lighter.

Mine is only 9,500kms but it seems to get better with each drive, and it is not burning a single drop of oil.

IMHO these mods should be factory standard and if they were they probably would have sold double the number of cars. To hold back the NA to favor the S is a blunder on Lotus' part, enough said.

Hi Mel, my dealer here is acting in historic Formula 1 Racing. He has about 5 old F1 cars (Lotus JPS, Brabham <BT, McLaren, Williams-TAG ...) So he has experience in mechanic stuff because they take care about those cars to be ready to race the whole year. So those people know what they talk about, they are racing mechanics for real, not on the paper only. So... I could immagine that they sometimes try things out inofficially (not to loose their reputation against the carmaker) with clients cars.

OK, I have the stage 2 in the back, so with the CAI it gets really loud and I was forced to put earplugs in.

I will check about the sparkplugs... But is is like I told before. The longer the car runs, the better he feels. It might be that in the Evora there are some "harmless items" which burns out the longer you drive. I often make 1800 KM a day, so all is real hot and

I think the machine is in a fantastic condition. Anyhow... lets be serious: to drive such fast on a public road is not the safe way. Above 200 KM/h it gets real quick... look throu the sidewindow... it is fast and I have not the physics to do this longtime.

Ritchie