free hit
counters
Cold air intake - Page 9 - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

• 3 weeks later...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lotus run the car rich for a reason. It doesn't run too rich. It is to add cooling at the flame front. Whether its the best way to cool is a moot point, but that is what it does. Overheating of the he

A stock V6S runs at WOT at redline an AFR of 10:1 on stock tune. A V6S with CAI, Larini headers, NO CATS, OEM backbox runs at WOT an AFR of 10.5:1 on stock tune.   Still seems pretty ri

Spent another day testing the intake at the track during the Lotus cup usa HPDE, zero issues with the intake, no CEL, no idle issues and the car felt fast again compared to the stock intake. I w

Posted Images

My Radium arrived last week so I fitted it and was happy with the way it went on but today have removed it as the sound is not for me. Will put it up for sale in the classifieds.

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

Just the sound a little raucous for me above 4.5k. Below that it was virtually identical to stock so cruising was no different at reasonable speeds (80-90mph). I didn't get it on a dyno but felt and sounded faster but not to my personal taste. I can see what others like about it though.

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

• 2 weeks later...

Just the sound a little raucous for me above 4.5k. Below that it was virtually identical to stock so cruising was no different at reasonable speeds (80-90mph). I didn't get it on a dyno but felt and sounded faster but not to my personal taste. I can see what others like about it though.

Trevor.

Hi, I think you should only make the same change than i did :

- replacing the OEM air filter by the K&N ref

- removing the Charcoal filter ( that's in the intake box above the Airfilter )

Honestly, the sound is just a bit bigger but above 4000rpm it becomes interesting but not too much, and while accelerating you can ear the air being aspirated : i definitively have the meaning the engine breathes better, and it costs me 52€!!!

Regarding to the full Radium intake price ( and the fact that it makes your car no more under warranty! ) , i don't want to spend more!

But that's my point of view.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have started a new thread for an enhancement to the Radium CAI. It is TDI developed and nothing to do with Radium and so I felt a new thread was important to avoid misunderstandings and also of course to recognise the TDI provenance.

Hi All,

Fitted my Radium recently and got round to taking it out (job was a bit of a ball ache in places but got there in the end).

Was fine at first idling fine and no check engine light but about 10 miles into the journey in sport mode booting it, the dreaded light came on!

Car appears to drive, pull and idle fine (heart sank when it came on). I can hear a slight hissing at idle, it appears to be coming from around the inlet but I think that may have been there before and everything is tight / connected etc.

I also have the Larini exhaust and 3rd cat removal pipe fitted.

- Has anyone else had similar issues? I am no machinic but guessing it will be an air fuel ratio warning or something.

- Lotus is about 70 miles from me and a ball ache to get to. My local garage has a full diagnostic set-up but do Lotus require any special kit to read and re-set codes?

- Is there anyway to re-set it at home or is it a garage visit job?

Cheers

Raf

Raf, sorry to hear that. It doesn't seem to be widely experienced. Check the Allen bolts holding in the airflow sensor are tight. (Been mentioned before, back in the thread - found one of mine slack after a temperature cycle.) Listen around it with the " pipe to the ear" technique. (Are you old enough to have set up SU carbs?!) Not aware of any hissing at idle, myself. Radium themselves used the Larini exhaust. (I have the Sport.) Can't comment re your third cat removal. Perhaps someone else has your exact setup.

As you appreciate, the main thing to follow is your hissing/leaks possibility.

Edited by mdavies

Cheers for that been out and got a OBD reset.

There were 2 codes P0172 System too rich bank 1 and P1075 System too rich bank 2. Also ordered myself a laptop based reader and some software go go with it for futures use!

Just had a recheck and everything as tight as it will go, also no pipe appear to be off, loose leaking etc.

The hissing I mentied is near the inlet listened to old video of engine pre airbox and I can hear I feintly - still way below the right side of 40 so hearing still quite good ;-) My dad couldn't hear it!

Since the reset light has been off for 10 miles and a few boot fills so fingers crossed the ECU has learnt that it needs more fuel to cope with the amount of air that it's now getting. I am guessing that the extra cat removal may be the extra factor thats tipped it over the edge as its ever so slightly breathing more freely than it would with the filter and back box alone.

I will keep you posted and let you know how it goes. Will take it out for a high speed run up in the hilla after golf.

20 mile blat an no further issues, fingers crossed that there are no further issues and that the ECU has learnt.

The OBD2 kit should turn up tmrw so I will get so mass air flow readings, would have been nice to have done it prior to change to act as a baseline (never realised how much stuff you can access with the right software etc)

• Gold FFM

I had my Evora dyno'd before and after the Radium CAI was fitted. Apart from this change my car is totally standard, with a standard rear box and all cats in place. From the graphs the Radium flattens out the power delivery a little and improves the top end, peak torque is unchanged but again a shallow dip has been eliminated in the midrange.

The AFR (on the lower graph) is better but as Charlie at Surrey Rolling Road said there is more power available from a little map work since the AFR dips above 5.5k rpm. I hope it helps answer a few questions.

post-879-0-92757100-1351267439.jpg

post-879-0-67910700-1351267460.jpg

BTW the peak HP of the standard car was 274HP (July) and the new peak is 285.7HP (October). Ambient air temp may have had a minimal impact but I think this can be ignored.

cheers

-Chris

PS Sorry about the poor quality images, this is mainly due to the colours used on the printouts I think. I couldn't get them in electronic format as the software is old and uses a proprietary format.

Chris, not sure what questions you had in mind, but I suggest your post raises more than it answers - none of which I can address! I do note your standard silencer; many CAI installations - and Radium's - have used higher performance silencers. My observations below are made without any reference to the specifics you have reported.

Certainly I would be exploring matters a deal further, given the now extensive CAI information posted on the forums and, of course, the information provided by Radium. In particular I point you towards the results obtained by TDI (http://www.tdi-plc.com/), whose experience and professional involvements are well documented on their website and, incidentally, who have continued Evora CAI related work.

For anyone whose expertise in the field is as limited as mine, there are three PDF downloads on the TDI website via their menu items "Core competences" and then "Dynamometer". Even those who appreciate the basics may find some of the information in the third one of value in illustrating the complexities and pitfalls of dyno testing, even before the many vehicle variables are considered.

Some specific results obtained by TDI (using a hub dyno, as one notable point) that I have gleaned from a post elsewhere, but discussed myself in general terms with TDI, are as follows. I know no details of the Evora except it is stated to have had the Sports exhaust and the cat bypass.

Prior to Radium CAI: 246.7 hp 239.9 lb ft torque Suggested flywheel hp 276 hp.

With Radium CAI: 269.7 hp 245.1 lb ft torque Suggested flywheel hp 302 hp

I drove now over 10.000 KM with the CAI of Radium. No problem at all. Had my car in the last service under warranty (expires tomorrow) and all is fine.

The mechanic told me, that Lotus finds out on the telemetric data if a Radium CAI was used or not. I will keep it, caus warranty expires anyway.

I am sorry for all those who have problems with it.

On the numerous mentionned figures: I fell the Evora breezes much better with the CAI, it runs fully good and I had no complains at all, so I dont care about HP figures, when I feel good thats what I like.

• Gold FFM

Hi Mel,

I don't really have any questions or issues myself with the Radium, I am fairly happy with it. The question I was referring to is how does the Radium CAI perform on a completely stock car, every other dyno report I have seen was performed on a car with at least a sports exhaust and often other mods too. My car is completely stock and the dyno runs were both on the same dyno. I am not saying the figures I have for peak power are necessarily 100% accurate but the comparison of the before and after should be useful. It is good to know as well that with some relatively cheap exhaust mods there is more power to be had. :)

I will also go and take a look at the TDI information you provided, it is an interesting topic and the more information the better.

cheers

-Chris

Hi Chris, yes, I find it interesting too. The problem is that there are so many variables arising from the car, the test equipment, the environmental factors and the test procedures that getting absolute values is not possible without a truly scientific and comprehensive - and expensive - approach. Finding comparitive figures is a little easier, but even that depends on whether the measurements are taken in precisely duplicated circumstances - best if nothing is moved or disturbed apart from the specific change and then the measurements should at least be a sequence of Case A, Case B, Case A, Case B, making sure that the As and Bs are the "same".

My post number 140 at the bottom of page 7 above comments on the bhp aspect of just ensuring cool air for instance.

It's great you are pleased with your CAI so far. I wonder whether the bug has bitten and you will be trying out the Sports silencer too - my combination, I recommend it and I look forward to your post!

• 1 month later...

Hmmm - I have only done about 65 miles in my car with the radium CAI fitted but have heard rumours of others having issues. Someone has pointed me at a thread on Lotus talk and now considering removing it.

I have run a CAI on almost every other car I have owned without issue, some of them for 20k + miles.

Now wondering if I should remove the radium. I did have a ecu code for 2 banks running lean just after I fitted it but no issues since a re-set but that's said have only done about 45 miles since then.

Has anyone had any issues or got any concerns?

Has anyone done big miles with one fitted?

Cheers

Rafphillips,

I have run the Radium CAI on my NA for 12 months and about 3.5K miles with plenty of high power use and no trace of any kind of problem. I value it to the degree that without it I would dispose of the car. That is background and not the point of this post.

From reading through the relevant thread to which you refer on the other forum, IMO, despite there being considerably more heat than light, it emerges (albeit not stated directly by him) that the originator fitted a CAI in company with other significant modifications including, as stated by others, a supercharger.  If that is so, his circumstances would seem irrelevant to the use of the CAI on a standard NA engine.

His initial post requested that anyone who had discovered problems arising from the CAI should contact him privately and thus we cannot know whether any such contacts have been made. At the time of my posting this, I did not see any such referred to.

Within the other thread, potential litigation has been referred to.  I have no idea whether comments made in unrelated forums such as this might become referenced should litigation in the US take place, but I suggest any posts should be phrased with appropriate consideration of that and of any consequential view that Radium might take.

IMO, anyone wishing to take a view on the matter should read the whole thread on the other forum before forming an opinion. Having done so, I remain entirely unconcerned. 

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f170/radium-cai-issue-122003/

The thread's recently been locked, bit harsh.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Thanks for the response, looking to get the views of others who have used so thas useful. I actually waited quite a few months before getting / fitting to hear of any issues and I didn't - until I had a email from a mate saying check these posts on Lotus talk etc.

Now taken time to thoroughly digest and contact someone who is very up on CAIs and the impacts they can have also not as concerned as I was when I skimmed the thread (Internet is great but also a nightmare!)

Not saying its scaremongering / people in the US havent had issues for one reason or another but having spent quite a bit of times in the states, I do find that sometimes in certain states if someone farts it's in the news for days and is mistaken for a dirty bomb (they love a drama ;-)

Done abit of digging and also looks like he had a homemade CIA fitted prior to the radium, which is interesting. As you say in addition to other mods, so his case probably isnt relevant to us people with a few select / subtle mods. My concern was more around 'others who had been in contact' and to hear if anyone else on here has had any issues (sure they haven't as it would have come up before now).

Also PMd the chap in question to ask exactly what issues others have reported to him as I want to know what has failed on the cars of others who have contacted him to see if there is a trend.

With a year left on warranty and also loving the car if there are any side effects just want to have eyes open on them. Would hate for my baby to get any kind of damage (internal or external).

Not saying I will definately remove just thinking I may given my fault codes and if others have had failures / side effects.

I now have an OBDC tool to do any resets required etc and noticed the MAF reading can be a bit erratic so will get some logging done one a few more runs.

I am going to take it off this weekend to have a look for any defects on the welds etc just in case but have to say other than the codes (which fingers crossed wont re-appear any more) love it (sounds evil above 6k rpm).

While the Radium is off I may put the old airbox back in for a run and then compare MAF readings between the 2 for my own peace of mind. To see how steady they are and if the Radium does cause any MAF reading spikes or oddities compared to the air box. Would expect it to be higher throughput but a steady curve.

Contacted Radium about the fault codes and they said its extremely rare and if I want I can return it for a refund minus shipping. Pointless with shipping and tax paid etc but signs of good customer service and a very professional outfit.

Cheers

Raf

Trev I was also pointed at page 2 of this one ...

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f170/performance-mods-121949/

Raf,

Interested to read your "done a bit of digging" post above and look forward to any updates.  I assume you've not yet had a reply from the originator re any specific problem reports he has received. Of course he may not reveal them - good reasons to be cautious!

The second thread you pointed at, page 2, adds considerably what is said on the first thread that I read and it seems pertinent and worth attention.  The background of the posters isn't given but what they say is very plausible. (I see a big chunk of my post on the TDI work and airflow measurement was quoted, and of course is relevant.)

It seems the IPS (ignoring the S for which it wasn't intended) is most susceptible should there be an issue, but for me the most interesting observation is about the offset in the Radium provided K&N filter. It's easy to imagine that at high volume the airflow exiting the filter will not be balanced across the tube and as it has a pronounced curve between the filter and the airflow sensor the exact orientation of the offset in the filter to the tube could be significant. From memory (they are up in the loft with the standard kit) the Radium instructions do mention the orientation but only casually and without any precise guidance.

I fitted mine roughly according to the photos and, as said, have never had any issue, even momentarily.  Now I'm going to mark a filter-tube line on them to get exact replacement!

On this topic I'm very aware of what I've understood regarding the TDI work in the area.  I don't want to go into detail (and I don't have the basis for doing so, anyway) but it is my clear understanding that the CAI was found to give an improvement in metering over the standard - as I said in my quoted post.  But I have no idea as to how the orientation was arranged in that connection; it might have been optimised. Given the nature of the work I doubt they "struck lucky"!

Considering only standard NA cars, it would be surprising if the CAI filter orientation was highly critical or there would be more problem reports. Again it would be surprising if that was the case and it was not highlighted by Radium in their instructions.

I look forward to the results of your measurements and whatever else you glean - and anything re the filter orientation of course.

Mel