free hit
counters
This is a joke, right? - Page 11 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

This is a joke, right?

You don't think they've more column inches, more people don't know who they are, the public and car buying public don't see Lotus as having a higher profile?

Seriously?

Come and stand with me on our stand at the Classic Car show. 4 years ago people we aghast that we were keeping Esprit in such lovely condition "because you just don't see them anymore", 2 years later everyone was abuzz with F1 talk and last year everyone, and I mean everyone had an opinion about Lotus, what they were up to with the new cars, the F1 'situation'. Lotus are 1,000,000 times higher in the public conscience than they were before, I can assure you of that from 1st hand experience.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

100% seriously. IF the company has a higher profile TF's team played a large part of that. The TV commentators don't even refer to GL's sponsored team as "Lotus". I suppose you could argue that all publicity is a good thing but the legal battles can't been creating a positive image of the company. Sorry but I just don't see how the company's profile has been raised by 1, 000,000 times... and you still don't see Esprit's anymore!

Currently having an illicit affair with another marque, be back in the fold one day... B-)

Heres where Lotus were 3 years ago. Looks terrible. The management hadn't turned it around and it didn't look a viable concern! Oh and of course the company hasn't made a profit in 10 years.

From Lotus's own press release:

Improvements in efficiency, careful cost cutting, together with steady sportscar sales and increased 3rd party engineering consultancy sales, contribute to a £2 million profit for Lotus Group International Ltd, (LGIL). Investment into R&D and new products rises by 95%.

Lotus Group International Ltd, which includes Group Lotus plc, the global sports car manufacturer and engineering consultancy, has filed and had published its financial results for the year ended 31st March 2008:

Year from / to: 01 April 2007 to 31st March 2008

01 April 2006 to 31st March 2007

Turnover for the year:

£108.796 million 2008

£133.190 million 2007

Profit for the year (excluding R&D)

£2.023 million 2008

(£4.888 million) loss 2007

Investment in Research and Development and new products

£11.934 million 2008

£6.115 million 2007

Commenting on the latest financial figures, Mike Kimberley, Chief Executive for Lotus Group International Ltd and Group Lotus plc said, “These results are a tremendous turnaround achievement for Lotus. I would like to thank all Lotus staff for their exceptional dedication and hard work to ensure the effective turn-around of the business. We are also tracking our strategic five year plan which enables Lotus to deliver an exciting new range of vehicles, develop and sell new advanced technologies through our extensive global operations and engineering client base and ultimately put Lotus on a greener and firmer footing and a consistently profitable commercial basis for the future.”

Key commentary for the above figures:

LGIL increased its cash reserves from 2006-7 by over 1200% from £640,000 to £8,223,000, thanks to the shareholders’ support of the new management.

By achieving the £2.023 million profit, LGIL has exceeded the first year target of its strategic Five Year Plan.

Investment in Research and Development and new products has risen by 95%. This investment includes advanced engineering research and development into future technologies and capitalised R&D into new product development including the new Lotus Evora and updates to the current Lotus line up of the Elise, Exige, Europa and 2-Eleven.

Over the last financial year, Lotus Cars introduced three new market derivatives to its small vehicle platform: the Elise SC, Exige S, with 240 hp Performance Pack and the Exige Cup 260. These three versions of the award winning Elise and Exige are selling well in the global market.

The exceptional success of the 2-Eleven track car required production to be increased and transferred from Lotus Sport to the main Lotus assembly facility at Hethel.

New markets were opened successfully during the year in South Korea, Thailand and Estonia.

Lotus Engineering, the company’s high technology engineering consultancy business, grew its global third party customer base and was awarded with new and valuable contracts worldwide – 340 projects with over 140 clients. Lotus Engineering Inc. in the US made record profits and Lotus Engineering Malaysia returned to profitability. Further expansion overseas took place including the opening of a sales office in Japan and setting up a subsidiary in China.

Customer demand has lead to the creation of new departments within Engineering, especially focused on biofuels, electric and hybrid electric vehicles. Over the next year, six different electric and hybrid demonstration cars, using different technology, will be delivered to different global customers.

In January 2008 the first product from Lotus’s relationship with Youngman in China, the Europestar, was launched in Beijing. Lotus’s collaboration with Youngman and Proton continues with various other projects.

A major strategic alliance was initiated and formally signed with King Abdullah Centre for Science and Technology (‘KACST’) in Saudi Arabia and is progressing very positively with Lotus and Proton Joint teams.

Looking to the future:

The new financial year has seen the acquisition of a key strategic supplier, Holden Aluminium (Worcester) Limited, which has become Lotus Lightweight Structures Limited. This additional facility, which complements the facilities and IPR at the Hethel Headquarters, supplies the Lotus lightweight, high technology chassis for Elise, Exige, Europa and for the new Lotus Evora which was unveiled at the British Motorshow in July 2008.

The Lotus Evora, the first all new Lotus in 13 years is a 2+2 mid-engine V6 sportscar and first deliveries to customers are expected to commence in Spring 2009.

New markets are being developed in China and the Gulf States for Lotus Cars.

In the forthcoming year, a sales and technology alliance venture will be set up in India to deal with the increasing level of work and enquiries from our automotive industry customers.

In summing up, Mike Kimberley said, “Clearly we are very closely watching the state of the global economy, and it is obvious that the world is changing very rapidly. Lotus, by being small and flexible, is set to deal with the new demands from our global consumer and business customers and over the last few months, the demand for our green and environmentally sustainable technologies has increased, with many of the world’s car companies working with us on alternative fuel vehicles, electric and hybrid vehicle solutions and lightweight structures.

“Lotus is now recognised as a world leader in research and development in these exciting areas of high technology, green and sustainable driving and we have a duty to share our advancements with the rest of the automotive industry for the sake of the future of personal transport and the car. We are proving that it is possible to have a guilt-free car in the future with desirable and enjoyable levels of performance, economy and sustainability and Lotus is one step closer to this utopian solution. Lotus has taken the necessary steps to reduce the impact of the global financial crisis and will continue to do so.”

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Where were Lotus 2/3/4/5 years ago? Where are they now?

I'm sure you'll agree their profile has been raised somewhat considerably. Money well spent? (Some of it, anyway!)

Thank god Kimbers is on this forum to put things straight.

Anyways, where were Lotus 3 years ago?

Well I remember MJK was bought back in to straighten things out, economies were made and a SOUND business plan was put together to enable the company to survive and grow (at an achivable rate) into the future.

The Evora and the MSC Esprit was concieved, the Evora was released to the public and was well recieved.

Members of the Esprit forums graciously were invited to events hosted at the Lotus factory and a certain forum owner was given a showing of the MSC Esprit, which at the time he seemed to like (alot).

Now of course its all changed, Dany Blah Blah is in charge , and is re- writing recient Lotus history to serve his own ends.

What dissapoints me more is the way some people seem to change their alegances depending on what they are going to get out of it and become parties to what essentually is nothing but a dressed up lie.

As for money well spent?

Well Dany certainally has spent money on the things that he likes that are showy (the track, his office, helicopters, jets, parties etc etc) whilst other aspects of the company are very neglected (employee morale, paying suppliers etc), and as yet the company has not made a cent of PROFIT whilst he has been in charge, nor IMO never looks likely too.

Edited by billy fish
SUNP0003-1.jpg

Interesting...

Wayne, thought you were never coming back? Lotusbuzz not busy enough for you?

Why the pretence, why hide?

Have a quick glance of the forum rules too mate. Your original account never deleted or banned, this is very underhand.

Do not impersonate other individuals or falsely represent yourself. Multiple accounts are not allowed and users who create multiple accounts will have all their accounts revoked.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I havn`t really followed the fortunes of Lotus in recent years except through the standard motoring press (which as we know, has its fair share of cliches and generalisations) and because of that, I do agree with Bibs post above - hopefully speaking as "an ordinary punter" in that sense, Lotus`s profile is much higher for me just from the past year- nearly a year ago now, I specifically bought Auto Express because of the "new line-up" on the cover- and the new Elite is all over Youtube.

Of course, there has to be a lot more done than just announcing new models which aren`t in production, but if they accomplish only 60% of that "target" in the next 2-3 years, it should revive their fortunes significantly.

I believe everyone is entitled to their opinions and wouldn't criticise anyone for what they think (not matter how misguided it may be in my own opinion Hehehe). Bibs has always supported Lotus, but I wouldn't say he's blind to the negatives maybe overly optimistic but we need someone to counter my eternal pessimism. :harhar:

I totally 100% agree with all your other sentiments.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

:)

Surprised it took 150 posts for you to figure it out, Sherlock.:lol:

Sorry I didn't read the forum rules or I would have definately closed my old account down (which hasnt been used for years), most on here now wouldnt even know who I am or even care for that matter.

As for the hiding behind another name, its no different to alot of the other forum members choosing another name to go by on this forum, I have no dark ulterior motive or nothing to hide

Ultimately, all I want is whats best for Lotus as do most Lotus Enthusiasts like myself.

SUNP0003-1.jpg

Wayne, you have your own interest which you pursue, if you wanted the best for Lotus you would offer them some support rather than your silly vitriolic one man hate campaign.

Your not welcome on here any more, don't bother returning. As is now evident I think you're a manipulating liar and a fraud. I know you've made a few of my friends lie to me too which shows the sort of manipulating arsehole that you are and as such you're banned. This Billy Fish account is deleted and your WayneB account is banned.

For everyone else's info, Wayne is a serial troublemaker on forums. He's left every forum in the world in a pique of selfish arrogance making sure each time that everyone knows, he's never been able to just delete a bookmark as he seems to crave people wishing him to return. This has happened on seloc, yahoo (uk & usa), pistonheads and the old Unity forum, plus here twice). Wayne is well known for this and was well known on here which is why it's very underhand that he's been posting under a false identity. He's even banned me for no reason from his own little lotus forum that no-one visits as in truth, if you've only got him to talk to, it gets boring real quick!

Evora NA

I wonder what they have against more conventional advertising. I would have thought that just running some commercials would be more effective than hiring some rapper that nobody has heard of.

Here are a few ideas for them that have worked many times in the past but which seem too conventional for Danny:

• Television Commercials
  • Print Advertisements
  • Radio Advertisements
  • Billboards
  • Film and Television Product Placement
  • Internet Banners and Adwords
  • Viral Advertising

You could probably fund a fair bit of each of these if you dropped all the pointless celebrities, parties and other stunts.

They've a full page in this months Octane for the Evora S and last month there was a 4 page insert in the same mag. I only subscribe to Octane, it's my favourite magazine but I'm confident these ads will be running on websites and in magazines all over the world in their key markets.

They a banner advertiser on here and have a fairly aggressive adwords campaign on the go.plus the hugely publicised Evora Champion campaign.

I'm not sure why everyone is so worried about their current finances. They've got budgets, the money is available. They're spending huge amounts in Hethel, on developing the new cars and the new engines, marketing is budgeted for and they're spending the money on it. They're not taking cash out of design or engineering to hire rappers, it's just the marketing budget and with Bahar being as he is, he's budgeted (and accounted for in the money raised) for a big marketing spend.

Evora NA

I have heard that they have placed lotus adverts within a big worldwide viewed sporting event this weekend, with CABC [sic.] logos and heritage colour schemes. Will have good coverage on TV (probably bigger worldwide audience than a mid Corrie advert), plenty on sport radio, and in the newspapers (pantomime and fantastically high budgets does help with the print media)

Interesting concept that we spend pages and pages discussing swiss cheese, and the serious motoring press discusses the strategy. Would it really be better to have lotus glossy adverts rather than Lotus editorial?

Maybe having somebody like DB is worth a try. He's a punter as are the majority of first owners for Ferrari, Aston Martin, Maserati, Porsche etc etc. Historically Lotus has been one where the cars have been built by boffins for boffins.

Most of us on TLF fit the boffin category. We love the engineering and driving aspects of the Lotus brand. We tolerate a lot of quality issues for those aspects. Just look at the admiration and accolades one of our members is getting for the massive improvements and refinements he's done to his red Esprit.

This new change of course and pitching the brand at those who don't really know a valve from a shock absorber but have the money to buy the best is worth cultivating.

Many, many years ago BMW here in Australia set their sights on Mercedes and had a very non-auto centric PR campaign. They kept themselves more than arms length from anything to do with motorsport. Instead BMW marketed itself to those who were into theatre, opera and frequented the members stands at horse racing meetings. Basically high society, toffs and the top end of town. They succeeded.

Lotus may too, regardless what us boffins think or like, and a "punter" like DB could be the one to do it. Yes he knows little or nothing about the engineering side of things but as a punter he does bring a fresh perspective. We boffins find it unpalatable but he has called a spade a spade. His target brands ooze quality which is where he wants to elevate Lotus to.

It ain't what you do it's the way that you do it...or maybe Lotus, Proton and DB end up with both. (That v8 they're working could be an awesome powerplant.) And if they have vehicles that can stand toe to toe in quality with the others, their plan may pay off. Especially if it incorporates that other aspect of what Lotus do so very well, be flexible and lean in development and manufacturing costs.

DanR

I know I'm not as eloquent as most of you guys since I retired 15 yrs. ago I really don't give a shit or feel the need to impress anyone..... But Lotus aka Dany Bahar is a joke, to think he is selling this lifestyle crap. He is looking at car guys as fools...

I'm typin this from my 61 ft custom sailboat [ronin] off the coast of Malibu and can't stop laughin at the bullshit Lotus are pushin off as "lifestyle", if I want foul weather gear I buy Helly Hansen not Lotus ..... Come on Proton dump this chump and get a real car guy back in control...

What lifestyle are Lotus aiming for I wonder ? Certainly not mine...

Edited by ronin

I think it's fast enough…maybe

Yeah, but it's too expensive. Some of the prices I have seen i.e. driving gloves are just plain outrageous as far as I'm concerned. I don't mind paying for quality, but I'm not going to get ripped off for quality. Sorry.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

I really like that and would happily pay £52.50 for one. I'm sure the decimal point has been put in the wrong place.

Running an Internet store allows me to understand how easy it is to make such a mistake, I'm sure now we've identified the pricing error it will get fixed pretty quickly.

If they not noticed it then maybe someone could call Danny Boobaa and let him know.

Chunky Lover