free hit
counters
This is a joke, right? - Page 8 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

This is a joke, right?

I don't care why they may be attracted to Lotus, what their reason may be for liking Lotus, or how deep or of what nature their appreciation is for the cars, the marque, the brand, whatever. If more people are exposed to and like Lotus, that's one more little thread to bind us as human beings together, one more thing to share in common, in a world that can be so divisive.

Great post, Tony, but the notion that "let Lotus attract whoever it wants to" can only be a good thing requires a flawed assumption: that Lotus is what we all know and have known it to be and that will remain constant. Most here are attracted by Lotus' heritage, ethos in design, and the cars that brought both to life on the road. But, what happens when the tail wags the dog? What happens when, in trying to attract a different demographic, the core changes? What happens when, in the process of attracting a different demographic and being inclusive, what attracted YOU to Lotus no longer exists and thus Lotus no longer attracts YOU? Do we all just get our wind breakers on and start theFOGforums.com for support? It's really not about marginalizing people. Lotus is a product that either needs to sell itself for what it is or change its product into something else. I, for one, don't see the former happening, but the latter. The Swizz thing is one sign, the Tony Shute thing is another. I, for one again, want to follow/drive/buy Lotus, not Caterham.

This all just creates a constant unease about the company's directions and products. The leadership's mixed signals do nothing to ease that feeling. On the one hand Dany and Donato have implied disdain for the current product but continue to "do the right thing" (IMHO, or maybe they are allowing the right thing to be done) in supporting a racing evolution along with the evolution of its road-going style and performance, all the while throwing gobs of cash at an extremely limited demographic, with one car left and little more than etherware in the pipeline. Which begs the question: there's a very limited pool of professional athletes and hip-hop artists to which a high dollar Esprit could be targeted, and it is fair to ask what the median income of their followers is, so is Lotus marketing to the followers or the followees? Either seems to be a strategy worth questioning. At last check (if I could check :) ) I don't think Lambo, Ferrari, Porsche, Bentley, etc. had or needed entertainment types in VP level positions of marketing or product design and seem to have little trouble fielding cars on Rodeo Drive, if that is a goal. Consultants, sure, spokespersons, OK, media product placements, absolutely, but "VP"? That's just daft. The vast majority of the above cars are sold to upper middle and upper class professionals which is a huge pool in "first world" countries. Most owe their success to being able to see through fluff and BS and will take some very savvy marketing (not to mention confidence in product and dealer support) to win over. This aint it. :rant:

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Exactly Eric. It's not about the fluff, it's about the cars. The rest is extraneous and IMHO a wasteful and needless distraction. If a hip-hopper wan'ts to buy it, fine, no problem at all, but the message should be about the universal admiration of the car, not any singular lifestyle. We can all line up beside it and admire it for the Lotus factor, not the pushed lifestyle factor and talk in "Lotus talk", not raps.

Edited by comem47

Exactly Eric. It's not about the fluff, it's about the cars. The rest is extraneous and IMHO a wasteful and needless distraction. If a hip-hopper wan'ts to buy it, fine, no problem at all, but the message should be about the universal admiration of the car, not any singular lifestyle. We can all line up beside it and admire it for the Lotus factor, not the pushed lifestyle factor and talk in "Lotus talk", not raps.

100% with you on that. By all means extend the net and take Lotus to new markets but the danger is alienating not only the existing client base but also reducing the chances of tempting clients away from companies like Aston and Ferrari... even the Audi R8.

Currently having an illicit affair with another marque, be back in the fold one day... B-)

You'll never see some rap crap in an R8 or a real Lotus they are not drivers they are posers..

Positive about that?

Here are some R8 references in rap & hip-hop links.  I didn't bother to look for any Lotus content as a quick Google for R8 content seemed enough.  The last one is particularly precious as it suggests rappers may want to look to the Russian underworld for prime examples of ostentatious displays of wealth.

http://board.rapmusi...t-sinister.html

http://euro-rap.com/...r8-v10-finally/

http://blodic.us/spo...monaco-25-0.htm

http://www.ihiphop.com/?p=60602

And a link to a gunshot riddled R8 due to the owner's poor choices after a domestic dispute in Germany:

http://www.mate1chan...-on-an-audi-r8/

The point of my original post in this thread was that the culture we are discussing is pervasive, aspirational and global, regardless of any personal opinions and prejudices we may have.  Personally I think associating the Lotus brand with rap culture is risky, but perhaps by controlling how the brand enters the rap scene links like those above can be minimized or counterbalanced.  I would consider preemptive image control a reasonable goal for a premium brand.

I also agree, as others have opined, that Lotus might be better served by actually delivering some knock-out products and then carefully marketing them across whatever cultural boundaries are necessary to begin improving mainstream awareness and desire for the brand.

This was the lead story in this months newsletter which has just been sent out - The poll is now almost equal and I'd imagine 1's will be overtaking 5's again shortly. Visitors to the site are welcome to make their own minds up, Swizzy's fans were always going to vote for him so I think that popular opinion rates this as a bad idea overall.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Heres a new photo of our new good friend Swizz, sitting in a red pre-production Esprit, showing all of us unbelievers he is 100% hard core Lotus :)

swizzb4.jpg

Whoops apparently that was a Ferrari Enzo he was sitting in , sorry my fault.

To put things right, here is a photo of brilliant car designer Swizz Beatz admiring the designs he just did exclusively for Lotus :)

7c38b5a969674b93b69579b87db5f7ed.jpg

Bloody 'ell, they look like Aston-Martins!, must be a part of the plan to bring Lotus upmarket.

Anyways , here is Swizz sitting on the bonnet of a Mansory Evora he totally designed just after designing the special backpack(wearing) he designed exclusively for Dany Bahar to keep the money in that he is saving Lotus with ATM.

My heros, the pair of 'em :)

Swizz+Beatz_1.jpg

Edited by billy fish
SUNP0003-1.jpg

Bloody 'ell, they look like Aston-Martins!, must be a part of the plan to bring Lotus upmarket.

True but why would Lotus want to appeal to Aston's client base of well heeled, upmarket people with an obvious interest in sports cars from a historic UK marque? :rolleyes:

Currently having an illicit affair with another marque, be back in the fold one day... B-)

How the hell do you drive a sports car with your hat on backwards with the brim pushing your head away from the seat back ?

Seriously who would take some fool with a flat hat brim off to the side to be a VP of anything more than kids clothing company...

If he doesn't know the function of the hat brim Lotus are as stupid looking as he is in that photo...

You only get one chance to make a first impression and he is a total fail..

Edited by ronin

I think it's fast enough…maybe

Do you judge everyone by their hat? :huh:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

If they wear a flat brim backwards while sitting in a sports car and off to the side to protect their ear from the harmful effects of the sun,,,,,,,,,YES...oh I forgot dark sunglasses at night... He shows a true disregard for function over fashion.... :w00t:

Edited by ronin

I think it's fast enough…maybe

OK. You know he wears sunglasses indoors too...

Evora NA

Hats on backwards.....hmmm.....I recall the days when Moley was manning the borders of the UK at Terminal 4 Heathrow. We used to get phalanxes of US studenty types with hats on backwards. One of my colleagues found the answer...he'd lean forwards over the desk and say, quietly "Forgive me if you know already, sir, but wearing a baseball cap with the peak at the back is, in the UK, a sure sign you're gay...." This would be followed by very rapid cap rotation.....then the student would rejoin his cronies and further cap rotation would take place....in the end, we were all issuing the same advice and the backwards baseball cap had disappeared from Terminal Four......

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

I really wish this conversation had started at the next TLF Christmas Party because I'm fairly certain that the combination of everyone being face to face, with booze, riffing on this topic would render me unable to breath. All I know is I know who I'm dressing up as for the party...and screw you if you don't like my hat and shades (hat will be reversed for party)!...

post-6978-0-42513800-1314199335.jpg

(Just trying to get as much mileage out of this photo as possible.)

Speaking of the party, I will personally hand off my coveted can of BS as an award at the party to whoever shows up with the funniest joke about Swizz & Lotus. The winner will then be forced to chug the BS (yum, tastes like raspberries!)...

...and then sing the karaoke version of Swizz's "Everyday." Let the games begin!

1983 "Investor's Special Edition" Turbo Esprit (#43/50) | 2012 Evora S

The point of my original post in this thread was that the culture we are discussing is pervasive, aspirational and global, regardless of any personal opinions and prejudices we may have.

I also agree, as others have opined, that Lotus might be better served by actually delivering some knock-out products and then carefully marketing them across whatever cultural boundaries are necessary to begin improving mainstream awareness and desire for the brand.

I agree (and made it earlier myself) your last comment. 100%.

I have to query how you think Rap culture is aspirational though, unless you mean to those who aspire to gang bangin', killing people, swearing constantly at their Hoes, promoting drug use and violence and generally acting in an unsociable manner. Not a thing I would think any company aspires to be associated with.

True but why would Lotus want to appeal to Aston's client base of well heeled, upmarket people with an obvious interest in sports cars from a historic UK marque? :rolleyes:

Well they aren't because Aston were so impressed that nothing exists apart from the picture Billy put up, of his time with Aston.

If they look like a total twat yes. That plus the fact he's dressed like some of the 9 to 12 year old kids I've seen who aspire to punching people in the face cause they is gangsta.

Sorry, but that last picture looks like one of thousands you would see of some bloke having his picture taken at a car show, with his 6 year old sons backpack on. Sad he couldn't find his own shoes either and had to wear his 9 year old daughters moon boots.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Bad Hat

adolf-hitler.jpg

You say that but everyone agrees the Germans had the cool uniforms, (Hugo Boss designed them) :sofa:

Back on track with Swizzy McDizzy, didn't Lady Gaga do a similar role for a Mobile Phone Company?

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

What, design and brand cars? :huh:

Evora NA

Doesn't Swizzle know replica boom box bling is so 70's..... Now why is this guy VP of Lotus Global Marketing ?...

Haha. I know. If you saw him walking down the street you'd laugh your ass off!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)