free hit
counters
Red Arrow Crash... - Page 2 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Red Arrow Crash...

Bibs

I'm just going to wait for the results of the Board of Enquiry.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whilst over at Pprune, I noted that Jon Egging was due to take part in a charity cycle ride from coast to coast across the UK. This was with other Red Arrows and the RAF Historic Flight. It is to raise money for the RAF Association and the charity fly2help.

It would appear that Jon's incredibly dignified widow, Emma, will be doing the ride in his memory. Now that, for me, is worth a few quid in the electronic bucket..

http://uk.virginmone...Url=RAFATrider4

• 2 months later...

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Unbelievable.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

Don't these things have interlocks or something of that ilk to prevent exactly this?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

I have no personal experience of the Hawk; however, I understand it has a command ejection system which allows either occupant to initiate both crew ejection. Martin Baker's website details the Mk 10 seat:

http://www.martin-baker.com/products/Ejection-Seats/Mk--10.aspx

It has a nominal zero-zero capacity..this means that it ought to provide a survivable ejection from zero feet altitude and zero knots airspeed, altitude to realise this being gained by use of a rocket pack mounted below the seat, which also gives diverging trajectories to both seats. Conversely, the seats fitted to our much lamented Mk4 Jet Provost were zero-90 seats, which needed a forward speed of at least 90 knots to deploy the main parachute. Seats have multiple safety pins which are removed before flight, after strapping in...one for the seat pan handle, one for the face blind handle (either of which can initiate the ejection sequence)..one for the sear which fires the ejection cartridges.. one for the manual seperation lever and one for the drogue gun. This goes back a few years (!) and I may have made errors in the list; but the basic idea is that the seat is inert when all the pins are fitted...and the first thing you do before you get in is to check that all the pins are fitted and that the seat is serviceable, by carrying out the Ejection Seat Checks.

Only then do you get into the aeroplane and strap in...then the pins are removed and stowed in a special panel which has holes for each pin; only when all the holes have pins in them is the aeroplane ready to fly. This is often done with groundcrew assistance, as getting at the sear pin when strapped into the seat is jolly difficult...in the JP, with two crew, you could reach your oppo's sear pin...but, if solo, you needed some help! The rocket seats have also got a pin for the rocket pack, I believe. These pins have red aluminium tags attached which are printed with the pin's location, and they have a mechanical locking pin which prevents inadvertent removal. Canopy ejection,if fitted, occurs before the seat fires; the Hawk has a frangible canopy with det cord in a pattern..this goes BANG and breaks up the canopy into small bits, through which the seat and it's occupant may safely pass.

An ejection at ground level as occurred in this tragic event ought to have been survivable, if the seat occupant was correctly strapped in and the ejection sequence worked properly. Obviously, in this case, something went wrong...we must wait for the Board of Enquiry to pronounce exactly what it was.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

I just hope the people on site investigating Seans Death take the time to read the internet forums, as they seem packed with 'off site' ideas on exactly what may/may not be the cause of his death.

I'm not saying these enquiry guys do not know their job but i have read such detailed accounts on several forums of what might have happened that, despite the authors being hundreds, sometimes thousands of miles away from the incident, and none of them being on site at the time or having any access to any on site information from the enquiry team, it would be sheer madness for the investigators not to read this stuff before coming to any conclusion.

FFS, really!

Seans last post on the 911 site was promoting this:

http://uk.virginmone...Url=RAFATrider3

smile.png

Edited by Paul C

Paul, sorry to hear that you knew Sean. (meant to say it earlier)