free hit
counters
Technical Section - Forum Info & Help - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Technical Section

Bibs

I'm thinking of changing the technical section and would appreciate your feedback.

Currently there are 3 sections. G, S & V8. What I propose is 2 extra sections; General Esprit Maintenance and Performance and Upgrades.

The reason for this is that I believe that some aspects of Esprit Maintenance are pertinent to all models and would be better served by being viewed by all members and also that performance and upgrades also fall into this category being model independant.

Thoughts?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally feel the same way as Jamie...

I find too many sections make it unwelcoming... One of the reasons I don't bother with places like SELOC etc. Too fragmented.

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

I agree with shade incorperate the two together. Although I do see this as moderators nightmare as we will be moving posts about a fair bit. But even with that in mind I say go for it B)

IMO keep it as it is.

I don't look at the G car forum (because I dont own a G car hehe) but I try and help on the others so I am familair with them and it's running smoothly if you ask me.

In that respect if someone with a G car has bad chassis corrosion don't you think they would benefit from your experiences? This is the point of why I want to open a 'general maintenance' section exactly.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

When it's up and running, if you search G tech for 'rusty chassis',

If the topic is in 'general maintenance' does that mean it will not

show in the G results?

If so, then i think its bad idea. But if topics in 'general' are found by

someone searching G,S or V tech areas then its a really good idea.

:P

If I see the search page correctly, you can indeed search "Esprit Technical" and it will search all the sub fora :P (G, S, 8)

Trouble is there are so many posts already existing in teh G & S sections...

IMHO it ought to be:

Carb 4's

EFI 4's

V8's

General (brakes, chassis, electrical, running gear)

Might get the V8 guys wondering what a trunion is tho! :(

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

I'm thinking of changing the technical section and would appreciate your feedback.

Currently there are 3 sections. G, S & V8. What I propose is 2 extra sections; General Esprit Maintenance and Performance and Upgrades.

The reason for this is that I believe that some aspects of Esprit Maintenance are pertinent to all models and would be better served by being viewed by all members and also that performance and upgrades also fall into this category being model independant.

Thoughts?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As I said to you the day you mentioned the idea about having a Performance and Upgrades section, I don't think it will a good idea to further fragment the sections. People already have a tough time understanding the sections as they are.

We could end up going the way of SELOC where it's become a jungle and you need qualifications in using it.

The LotusEspritProjects site I have been setting up will really be just for this purpose, a place for the more mental enthusiast to promote his project ideas.

I agree a General Esprit Maintenance section might be a useful addition. However, many months ago when I suggested that as part of the re-jig plan I gave you, you said the general maintenence section was not needed and would be an extra complication, so we went with only three model specific ones.

You agreed that my idea to have a General Chat and a Motoring Chat would be the way to go and that the Motoring Chat bit would double as a general Esprit maintenence queries area.

I think we could handle a fourth technical section as I previously suggested. But another for hardcore modders would see limited useage IMO. Having it couldnt hurt, but is it needed?

In that respect if someone with a G car has bad chassis corrosion don't you think they would benefit from your experiences? This is the point of why I want to open a 'general maintenance' section exactly.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well I'd put that on the Motoring/Lotus/Esprit forum.

I guess it can't hurt, actually if you click 'Esprit Technical' can you not post in there and still keep the sub forums ? Looks like you can ATM (haven't tried).

Yeah you can group search the 3 techy forums as well.

facebook = [email protected]

IMHO it ought to be:

Carb 4's

EFI 4's

V8's

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:( what about mechanical fuel injection? :P

JK :( I think we might as well mush em into one forum.

Slade

"It's called a fire hydrant. Firemen like to stick their hose in it, and eventually squirt water from it."

Owner of 86 TE HCI, and 55 Chevy. Stare at broken down TR7

I read all 3 tech rooms :(

I think there is interesting stuff in all of them.

I think the modders will be overjoyed to get their own room, where they can talk about moddin" till the cows come home. :P

As for general maintenance, that would be a good idea, to stop the repeated subject matter I see alot of in the tech rooms. :(

If it doesnt work, you can always change it back Bibs :P

til%20the%20cows%20come%20home.jpg

Edited by WayneB
SUNP0003-1.jpg

I'm with Wayne, look at everything, it's all good stuff....who's to say what's really appropriate to who? And they're are a bunch of people out there with bags of experience who might not own that exact car, but will have something useful to contribute.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

I'm on the too many section thing too  :o

At the moment for example a useful 'carb balancing' thread

could be in g tech or stevens tech. Add a general and it could

go in either of the three. Or worse, go in general and not be

found...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As my car's a G/S crossover, mechanically, I fall into this trap a lot by forgetting to browse the G-car technical section... indeed, I shall go and peruse this 'carb balancing' thread now :lol:

When we used the old email-based forum, I tended to read everything apart from stuff that was obviously V8-related from the titles, as it was mostly about prices, liners, V8 clutches and de-catting at the time...so I'd say we just amalgamate the Technical sections into one. Having all the mechanical experience in one section following all queries/problems/upgrades would benefit everyone in the long run, I believe.

Dan.

Dan

"He who dies with the most toys wins..."

I read all 3 tech rooms :o

I think there is interesting stuff in all of them.

I think the modders will be overjoyed to get their own room, where they can talk about moddin" till the cows come home. :lol:

As for general maintenance, that would be a good idea, to stop the repeated subject matter I see alot of in the tech rooms. :(

If it doesnt work, you can always change it back Bibs :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, any change made can be revised if it doesn't work out. Generally, I concentrate on the Motoring and Stevens sections because that's my main interest on here. An extra "Modders" section would be no more trouble as again it's another of my personal areas of interest in the cars.

So we have:

Esprit technical:-

-GENERAL ESPRIT MAINTENANCE (ALL cars)

-G-CARS

-STEVENS

-V8

-MODIFIED AND NON-STANDARD

Or... What I think might be better is based on Evil Doc Fishy's idea:-

-GENERAL

-4 CYL EFI

-4 CYL CARB

-V8 TT

-MODIFIED

:o

Dude change it. If it is not working then the moderators can go through all the threads and put them back where they should be. If we did that between us it wouldn't take long.

I say go for it!

Make it so number 1

Sorry couldn't help it I was looking through the members section and of course your name come up as the first member

• 2 weeks later...
:) Is there any way of alphabetically listing the tech posts to make it easier to find a specific item and maybe have an initial section for the latest posts, as well as posting them in the alphabetical list? :lol:

Cliff

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. : Albert Einstein

Or a button on the page that says "Sort posts by: Date / Alphabetically"

That would do the trick - I wonder if it's in the latest software?

Trouble is, the latest s/w update costs

:lol: Just tried this didnt realise you can sought by post title as well as other ways. Come on Cliff read the manuel.....Then again who does.. :)

Not wishing to be Controversial but I would be happy to contribute by way of subscription to help in some small way to improve matters and hopefully assist in all the work that goes into the forum. Seloc costs to join so why not LEF. :P

Remember the old saying guys ........there's no such etc...

cartoon3088xm.gif

Edited by gghc87

Cliff

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. : Albert Einstein

I can't believe I'd never spotted it either!!! :lol:

I've never even noticed people used this section for the forum (Forum Info & Help) :(

But now I've spotted this, I just wanted to add that personally I think the current technical section split is correct and has always been easy to follow with the three section as you always know were you are. If there is a general point then I would post to the section Motoring/Lotus/Esprit General Chat.

If you are going to change would you guys consider giving the membership a vote?