free hit
counters
Central Door Locking on 1993 SE Possible? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Central Door Locking on 1993 SE Possible?

Howdy yet again!

I am tired of trying to use the key as lock covers are so stiff and some nights, I can't seem to find them as easily after a night out. What is suggested to add on to the Central Locking System to run the system remotely? No factory alarm on this baby that I know of. Not looking for a complete alarm system per se - too much fiddling required, just the KEY FOB facility at this time. Wondering why I did not find the cash to buy one of these animals to drive years ago when parts were cheaper! What a thrill to drive!

Earthquake a couple of days ago, raining now and awaiting a hurricane's arrival here (Washington, D.C.) so figured I would actually think about updating the missile since I can't be out driving in it.

MikeP

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold FFM

I added an alarm to my 89 SE - which had the wire to trigger locks - so I added door lock plungers (bought then from Best Buy).

It is nice to be able to unlock / lock both doors with the key fob.

Lou Senko

Austin, TX

more, more, more....

Hi Lou,

Did your car already have central locking when opening the driver's door? Was hoping to just trigger that line with a alarm's fob to stop using the key all the time. what did you buy and did you use all the features or just the lock/unlock?

MikieP

It must be possible as my 88 has remote central locking. in with the alarm

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

If I understand you, your saying you have Central locking?

Mine operates off the alarm, I do not see how else you would get it to work remotely, as your going to have to wire it up to use the door actuators.

Chris

Amateurs built the Ark

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Hi red,

What I am saying is am I correct in assuming that whatever alarm I buy that has a remote unlock & lock function, I will only need to wire the alarm to the hopefully existing door solenoid wiring in my 1993 SE?

MikieP

Sounds right to me, but if your doing that why not wire in the whole alarm?

Amateurs built the Ark

The central door locking is the same that Citroen AX or Saxo (And many others cars). You can get the remote receiver (Very cheaper) and wire to central; the official Citroen service deal can help you.

Feijucho.

Edited by Feijucho

Hi red,

Thanks for your reply. Basically just need the doors to be operated without key for the most part. Also, after attempting to do minor other things like replace the windshield washer jets, and with two replaced hips, not too sure I can do all the required modifications for the other features at this time but certainly would consider them if physically feasible for me to do them. Would love to find solenoids strong enough for trunk release as well to give an alternative to the cable faults discussed here as well but that is one strong set of springs to operate.

Feijucho,

Thank you for your reply however Citroen has no presence here in the USA that I know of so would be difficult for parts acquisition. But thank you for the information and I will pursue that online to see what might be available.

MikieP

• Gold FFM

my 89 SE did have central locking - so as you manually unlocked or lock the driver's door it activated the plunger on the passenger door.

what I did was add a plunger to the driver's door - operated by the alarm (i installed) and it triggers the driver's side door plunger, which then uses the central locking to unlock the passenger door.

The alarm has a million feature - of which I only use two - door unlock/lock and vibration sensor.

Lou Senko

Austin, TX

more, more, more....

Hi Quikr,

I do have central locking, that is the driver's door unlocks the passenger's door, passenger door does not unlock driver's door. Well, after reading up on the Viper 5701/5901 it seems that there might be an interface module that would lessen the wiring effort perhaps? Did your SE have this D2D thingie or did you just wire each wire up to where it was supposed to go? Or, can your tell me type of alarm and provide me with places wires need to be attached, how many, etc. in a PM please? Have the MY93 schematics, but it does not tell you where all the places actually are located. Mostly I just want door locking/unlocking available, remote start does not interest me since I can not currently use the handbrake as it sticks on badly, alarms would be nice but not essential, temperature in the cabin, not really, Turbo Timer would be a nice function to have functioning though. Either way, my hips will not allow me upside down under the dash very much. Any advice aside from having some installer goofing around in the SE is not palatable. lol.

MikieP

Quikr,

One other thing, the fellow that is now maintaining my SE advises me that the factory wiring does not enjoy adding electrical addons and cautions me against them, except for this: he would add the alarm but would spend the time to install as per factory, meaning lots of $92/hr time to do it, so am hoping to do it myself to save that money for cambelt, etc coming up soon (never ever done since new by any of the PO's).

MikeP

Did I read that right, the original cam belt? :shock:

If you're riding around on a 20 yr old cam belt then I'd suggest you park it and don't touch anything else until it's changed. Door locks and $92/hour labor will be the least of your problems.... :popo:

Edited by lotus4s

1995 S4s

^ What he said. Get that changed before you turn the key again or save up for a new engine.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Hi Bibs and lotus4s,

PO had not one record of any maintenance (nor from any of the three prior PO's). Not even an oil change! How's that for the American school system? It was on Lease for its first 9 years in Miami, FLA so it probably had something done, but not one record, ergo I am assuming the worst case, but the belt has been thoroughly looked at and no cracks, wear etc can be found, AND C parts (including racing cam belt) plus rebuild kit for the pump have already been ordered from JAE (Jay) and car was already scheduled in September for this service. Thank you all for your concern however and I did not mean to arouse your worst fears. I want to keep this on the road more than any other car I have ever owned. So much so, we are contemplating a 375 HP dyno'ed-at-the-wheels build up after the C service works itself in. heh heh.

One other interesting thing about this one: CarFax said it had a Clear Title = No Lien, when in fact there was a lien at a Credit Union, so beware of CarFax, CarFax is rubbish.

Now fellas, back to my door locking desires and the easiest, perhaps the cheapest method of getting a key Fob to do the work on a 1993 SE.

I've got the later Cobra alarm retro fitted to my 89SE, central locking works a treat :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Hi Bibs.

I'll bet it does and that is why I am searching for the simplest way to get it! Tearing into the dash is not something I am looking forward to - the "Service Manual" I have has the wiring diagrams but apparently not the locations of the wires themselves, or some guidance would be extremely helpful locating the pieces needed to be tied into... Not really certain I actually want or even need an alarm at this point although some of those I have looked at include a turbo timer and that would be helpful at times. A blinking light somewhere would be nice perhaps, but keys need to go their merry way, at least until the battery is kaput. Will browse the various Cobra models and see what's what.

Hi sailorbob,

Passenger door key does not lock driver side door, but driver side key does lock the passenger door. That means I need a solenoid there. Where, how much, how to mount, how to wire? I can read schematics, solder, tie wrap, shrink wrap, et al, am just very afraid of being daft and putting the car in hell... :wallbash:

Thank you both for your replies!

MikieP

The Owner Manual that came with the car, says that driver door unlocks passenger door, but not the reverse, so I must presume no plunger on the driver door so looks like I will need to add one? Same plunger as passenger door? Easy to mount? I do not have the schematics per se for this car... I have not been able to find a correct set, and I only have the MY93.5 and forward (S4 thru V8) and mine has a door plate stating a build date of NOV 92. The Service schematics show an alarm system installed so they do not match this car's system at all apparently, so I am sort of stuck. Perhaps I am wanting something not possible?

MikieP

Ok, here's the deal on your cdl according to the Service Notes. You have actuators in both doors but only the passenger one is motorized. It also says the wiring harness is setup to accomodate motorized actuators in both doors so you may be able to fit a second passenger door actuator on the driver's side. Then it would just be a matter of tapping into the correct wire with your remote opener system.

The later S4 and S4s have motorized actuators in both doors so it's a simple deal to wire in a remote opener.

If you want to PM me your email, I'll send you the relevant info from the Service Notes.

And on the cambelt, get it changed asap. You can't tell by visual inspection if it's going to last another year or a day. Search the archives and you'll find many stories of broken belts that looked just fine...

1995 S4s

lotus4s

Note taken on the belt... have parts incoming. Will see mechanic this weekend and get it scheduled sooner if possible or perhaps not drive until appt. Will pm you with email shortly. The schematics I have show one motor per door, but internal switching is different in each, I suppose it is for the S4. Much thanks!!!

MikieP

• 2 weeks later...

dont they all have CDL? I replaced my worn out solenoids with $10 units and added a $50 alarm/keyless entry system. I mounted it under the bonnet next to the CDL module and tapped into the trigger wire on the OEM CDL. its on the electric schematic in service notes; easy to find but i could look if you have trouble

chris

90SE

just because I don't CARE doesn't mean I don't UNDERDSTAND

Hi Chris,

My coach does indeed have the CDL module, but, the driver door plunger has no motor (plunger), just the switch to activate the CDL and the passenger door plunger motor. Where did you get $10 units and what kind of alarm/keyless entry unit, please? Looking around and have not found either a $10 solenoid nor a $50 keyless entry system as yet. lol

MikieP