free hit
counters
Team Lotus to be 'Caterham Team AirAsia' in 2012 - Page 16 - Motorsport & Trackdays - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Team Lotus to be 'Caterham Team AirAsia' in 2012

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

^^ I heard they had been looking for investors... I knew they were struggling for cash that much was obvious. So in a way I knew it was coming.

GENII got into F1 because two of their board members Mr Lux and Lopez are racers. When Renault Bailed they got the team for nothing at all, and in addition they were given money to run it. 3 years later they have probably one of the strongest pairing on the grid. But they are not getting money from Renault any more. They haven't found the mega multi year sponsorship they were looking and they don't have an engine deal in place after next year.

If you remember about a year ago GENII was tipped to buy out Group Lotus. It made sense for them at the time. But in the mean time GENII European endeavours have taken some hits. Their joint venture and b to b facilitation business is just not generating as much money with the current climate.

Now for DRB to be in the loop to buy this team is... Not that great or cool an idea... Reuniting the brand, yeah sure... Putting both entities together not so. Running a F1 team is not cheap. Running a niche sports car maker requires funds... Running both businesses successfully at the same time is no easy feat. Finding someone looking to buy both entities... I say long shot!

In my opinion, the best way for Lotus to reunite the brand is to end the F1 branding agreement and leave the sport. It only makes sense to be in F1 as a sponsor if you can activate the sponsorship and at the moment they cannot. Get in talks with IBM and buy the Lotus.com domain from them as they are not using it anymore. Get in touch with the Taiwanese party that somehow owns the rights to the Lotus car brand for Asia and find a common ground so that there's only one Lotus car company worldwide.

As for the "Enstone" team, the way I see it only a very few people will be interested to buy them right now. I would put David Richard (from Prodrive and Aston Martin) at the top of the list... He still has access to funds, he does have something to market so he won't be interested in the current brand.

• 2 weeks later...

CEO Cyril Abiteboul takes over as TP at Caterham.

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2012/11/08/a-new-team-principal-at-caterham/

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

From that article:

"Caterham Composites is also in rude health, working with CTI on the Airbus project in addition to a variety of other cutting-edge programs that will soon see the light of day."

Would be most interested in some elaboration on this aspect of the ever growing Caterham empire.

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

• 2 weeks later...

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Charles Pic to Caterham for 2013.

http://skiddmark.com...-year-contract/

Well, he did well for Caterham today, didn't he?! Overtaken for 11th by Petrov in the last few laps, so Caterham not Marussia get the 10th place in the constructors championship and all the extra money that goes with it. Big relief for the team after really quite a disappointing season, appeared to be going backwards towards 11th/12th not forwards to 8th/9th, looks like Kovalainen is leaving too, he was always very engaging (Twitter etc) and the dominant driver over most of the 3 seasons. Slightly odd that they now seem to be going for pay drivers when they made such a big deal of paying Kovalainen and Trulli at the start, just reality setting in I suppose.

David, David, David....Are you implying that Charlie let the Russkie by in order to feather his future nest? :whistle:

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

Mike Gascoyne's immediate future...

693993368.jpg?key=640480&Expires=1354110940&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=TNxEBZAbaGCThBQGuIzQHDaZ9NtJZOQZA87EUlYdGurv5foy6B6Mq0CvSKl1q04XQ8ZbFOBtWscVYKJoaBBW5WDqq3rlrtq1iTk26ZickyU2wcjLxm6bZsCQMsToBMxvK-0iEZl7EqmjkVFB1HBg0gawOWVvl4xsd0hOPa5soMs_

Evora NA

Well, he did well for Caterham today, didn't he?! Overtaken for 11th by Petrov in the last few laps, so Caterham not Marussia get the 10th place in the constructors championship and all the extra money that goes with it. Big relief for the team after really quite a disappointing season, appeared to be going backwards towards 11th/12th not forwards to 8th/9th, looks like Kovalainen is leaving too, he was always very engaging (Twitter etc) and the dominant driver over most of the 3 seasons. Slightly odd that they now seem to be going for pay drivers when they made such a big deal of paying Kovalainen and Trulli at the start, just reality setting in I suppose.

I believe Caterham took a big loan, a few months ago, in order to get that 10th place. So this is where a big part of the money is going to.

Calypso Rose Rules the World!

• 6 months later...

Evora NA

Evora NA

• 5 months later...

Talking of Caterham...

http://skiddmark.com/2013/11/caterham-launches-new-bikes-division/

1150x713xCaterham-Carbon-E-Bike_G0.jpg.p

Makes about as much sense as looks as sensible at Lotus's non-foray into 2 wheels recently.

Evora NA