free hit
counters
is it my Turbo - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

is it my Turbo

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lack of boost could be many reasons, turbo is an extreme and costly possibility. First check the waste-gate is moving when positive pressure is applied to the small pipe, check that the waste-gate isn't stuck open. You could take the air inlet pipe off the turbo and check if the impeller rotates by finger, just turn the spindle by gripping between thumb and finger.

A hose has popped off, if the turbo had gone you'd know all about it.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Well ive been in the garage trying to look like I know what im doing,thanks for the reply's but :lol:, I like all the easy fix'es,but it is my car so why should you think its going to be some thing simple.

I done what Andy suggested and yep its jammed,after turning it a bit it went loose,so I put it back together and tried it again, came back,and it was jammed again it felt like something caught inside.

So its coming off tomorrow for a full fettle :shuriken:

was it in the clean air side that the flakes were found?

If that's case you might as well pull the turbo apart to make sure, but don't do anything beyond taking the ali casting off. Undo the bolts from the iron side that go into the ali, and it should gently prise off. You'll soon see if the clean air impellor has been damaged.

Andy

In that case, put it back on an hopefully all is good.

If it is metal of the iron casting breaking away it's not likely to be any worse that what you have just encountered. Fixing it after more flakes have come free shouldn't be any worse than fixing it now, so get out there and enjoy driving it with boost again.

Interesting thread. My turbo attached to manifold has been leaning against my garage wall for a few months whilst I rebuilt the engine. I picked it up the other day and some oil ran out of the turbo both back into the exhaust manifold and out of the air passage going to the carbs. Everything looked ok ie blades all fine, spins nicely with no play. I wanted to get it looked at but frankly wasnt that happy with what tubo technics were suggesting ie they arranged courier to pick up turbo, strip it and produce report on what needed doing. This would cost £50 but if I decided not to proceed that would send the lot back dismantled. For any work needing doing they charge a minimum of £150 but said I should expect the bill to be much higher than this. Can I trust them or is this a good money spinner.

A repair kit costs about £35 whilst an exchange turbo seems to be £797 at another turbo shop. What would I be getting for my money that warrants this variation in price. As it only appears to be the seals on my unit has anyone stripped down the turbo and was it difficult

Yeah thats what they said to me Mike,but I figured they know what they are doing unlike myself so what the hell send it to them and see what happens.

Well the turn round is quick cos I rang up today and got the report, :lol: yeah as i thought a list as long as your arm wrong,but the main thing i wanted to know was,did the rust flakes come from the turbo or else where,he said the iron/steel part of the turbo was rusted inside and thats where the flakes came from.

Also all the seals had gone and the case was cracked,so i asked the price for a turbo to be done with the impoved 360 bearing,£502.00 delivered back to me :shuriken:

That exactly why I am not keen on sending them my turbo. £500 is a fortune to me and I bet everyone gets this sort of bill irrespective of what work they do. Also why is the rebuild kit as low as £35. I appreciated balancing is involved but in the kit all parts are balanced individually.

I am beginning to think I might get the kit see how it goes and then advertise my services for a fraction of what these companies charge. A good money spinner for a poor old retired person.

Hi Nigel

Just been rereading this thread,i had a similar problem as you on my S4s a few years ago. Have checked your exhaust manifold is not breaking up ? any loose rusty flakes will screw your turbo up,i took my manifold off the car and sure enough it was breaking up just really through age,you only need a small flake to completely destroy the turbo.

Nick S4s

Simplest things first.

Nick that was my first thought when I saw the flakes,although the flakes did seem to have more of a rounded look to them which did match the curve of the turbo.

At the end of the day I could not strip the turbo down and put it back together to have a look see, so I got a recommendation from Dave aka Changes for who to send it back to,Turbo Technics Northampton.

I sent the flakes up to them and asked the question and they said it was coming from the turbo case,so really I had to go with them and hope they are correct.

Although it had the flkes in the turbo did not seem to hurt it,once I removed the flakes the impellor spun as smooth as anything and I was tempted at Andy's suggestion of just bung it back on and see what happens. :shuriken: