free hit
counters
Future Lotus Cars - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Past ,present and now future.

At the moment ,i have grown to really like the Evora ...reading a lot more about it these days ....

The new future cars though have taken some time to "sink" in.

I personally think the best looking future Lotus is the Elise ..modern with all the right curves and i bet its gonna be quick.

Richard

Technically sound ...Theoretically poked !

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too like the 2015 Elise, but if this reads true there may not be one !

Лотос - для тех которые знают разницу

ENIGMA for those who are paranoid or download one :)

I'm slowly falling for the beautiful Elite. Lotuses have always had a certain poise/elegance, and the Elite seems to have supersized that characteristic AND be a powerful four seater convertible!

I like the idea of the Esprit / elan / Elise line up, and think that the shape of the Elan over Evora is a massive improvement, and the concept of the 2015 "modern" elise is the best - the S1 Elise was retro looking, this has been modernised over time, but not nearly so much as the concept.

They all need to lose the very generic headlight / front end treatment

The new Esprit shape is growing on me (I hated it at first) and I like the new Elan shape.

The only thing I wonder about is the big slanty black air intakes where the front spoiler is. Are they grilles? Won't they get full up with dead insects on the motorway - I don't see how you could clean them. :hope:

"All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad."

~ Jeremy Clarkson (about the Lotus Esprit)

WHen Lotus announced the new line up I was not put off as so many Lotus enthusiasts were. But I think the mid engined offerings look too much like other mid engined cars to be all that distictive. Though when put side to side with other cars like Lambo they will surely be easy to tell the difference.

I think the most exciting of the bunch is the Ethos which highlights Lotus technology in the range extender engine and will have real worl use. THe Eterne is also exciting as Lotus has never done a bespoke 4 door GT type car.

Kyle Kaulback

I like the look of the new Esprit, the Elan was also nice but I think a stripped out, entry level V6 Esprit would do the same job. The Eterne isn't my kind of car and the Elite is a nice concept but I didn't like the fairly anonymous rear styling.

Overall though the Elise was my favorite as it looks fantastic and I could actually own one...... if they make it or something similar (e.g. prices starting just below a Boxster).

I agree the Elan and Esprit are quite close in the market, "Fishing from the same pond" I think DB called it!

I prefer the Elan, it's a little more understated and I think once the Esprit's been in the showrooms and probably been developed a little more it'll be a good time to launch a 'budget' (£70k ?!?!?!? ) version. I think McLaren are talking about a simliar strategy with the follow up to the MP4-12C and in a sense that's what Aston did with the V8 Vantage.

Currently having an illicit affair with another marque, be back in the fold one day... B-)

Elan and Esprit will pretty much steal clients from each other! Elise makes a lot more sense in my opinion! Bahar wanted to position Lotus in the same market as Ferrari and after decided to go head to head with Porsche! You can't go after Porsche without a competitor for the Boxter and for me that's the 2015 Elise so I really hope they make it cause personally that's as far as my teacher income will take me! Elan will be a no go but I'll be glad enough to get my hands on a used Evora in 2/3 years!

Elan and Esprit will pretty much steal clients from each other!

Surley with big differences in engine & basically the Esprit being about twice the price I cant see how they can be in the same pond? I would think of it more like the little Gallardo & the bigger Murcielago?

Buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Elan was/is going to be a 80k in base model

Esprit 110k base and pretty much top spec (I know the R will cost a lot more)

Get Elan in top spec and you get pretty much a 100k car. That is the same pound pricewise!

The reason they slowed/shelved the project is that their market studies showed they would have been in each other's way!

I though the Elan was £65k and the Esprit closer to £130k.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I though the Elan was £65k and the Esprit closer to £130k.

Yeah, they were the original prices quoted. My feeling is that they would be better building a cheaper V6 version of the Esprit and Elite though to boost sales later in those cars lifespans given the investment being put in to develop them. Then the company has more flexibility about what to build below them. If the Elan or a new Evora started from £45,000 or less it might sell in much bigger numbers too.

I guess Lotus would need to see how the car is recieved and how sales progress but they certainly shouldn't rule such a move out.

I thought the reason they were holding fire on the Elan was because it was an Evora in new clothes. Now telling people there is a new sexy Elan soon would deffo cut current Evora sales.

Buddsy

I thought the reason they were holding fire on the Elan was because it was an Evora in new clothes. Now telling people there is a new sexy Elan soon would deffo cut current Evora sales.

Buddsy

Wow, wow, wow.... I think I or someone else might have started a theory here that is being taken as fact! I just put some ideas out there for discussion based on my own opinions and given that a number of articles over the last week or so have suggested that there may be changes to the product line up as they can't afford to do everything they initially intended.

The last I heard the Elan was the only car definitely cancelled, the Evora lives on until approx 2017. The rest is all rumour and opinion!

In reality I know nothing!!!

Yeah thats true but I think the difference in price if not performance between the two Lambo's is much bigger. Looking at the difference in price between the two Astons and what effect that has had on sales of the larger car could be more interesting.

Plus Lambo has VW to help with development funds, whereas Lotus doesn't so I think they need to be careful to only develop models they need. Why spend about £100,000,000 developing a second similar model when you could simply fit a different engine in the similar car? If Lotus can afford to develop the two then fantastic, but I suspect they may be forced into increasing Esprit sales by adding a V6 to make as much money from the investment in the Esprit (and likewise the Elite) and thats why I wonder if the positioning of the Evora replacement might change to be closer in pricing to the Boxter/Cayman or indeed the new V6 powered Jag...

Just a reminder for the prices going back to the big Paris Motor Show unveil! I know pricing has been amended since then but not by much!

http://www.carmagazi...otor-show-2010/

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Search-Results/First-Official-Pictures/Lotus-to-build-supermini-with-Proton---its-official/

Exige would not cost much to develop! Would it?! Essentially, you build Elise and add a roof and a different engine cover! That's quite cheap! Then you tweak suspension and engine for which you charge all customers a hefty premium! However if there's no budget to build the Elise then there's no Exige!

Edited by NedaSay

I think the v6 Exige will make Exige a car that Lotus have to keep

When the Elise s1 came out, the motoring press made the car - it was "best in class" - the best little sportscar out there (and no whingeing about price compared to the mx5 / mgf)

Trouble for all models since is that they have not been that good (some may say "on balance" that Evora is better than Cayman, but it is not such a ringing endorsement).

I think the Exige will be that good, and if journos say it is "must have" it will help the brand

I do think the models are quite different actually. I think the Exige will always exist as its soo extreme and really a track day car. The Evora fills a different criteria for a different owner and likewise the Elise has its own place as a small fun open top car that can be used on the track too. From driving the Evora and Elise back to back on track the other day at Hethel I would rather have the Elise. That’s no disrespect to the Evora S. It’s certainly a faster more comfy car than the Elise and more practical too. It’s just I would rather have the Elise because I just liked it more. Nothing more than purely personal taste.

Buddsy