free hit
counters
Help! Can't Remove Spare from '83 Turbo - Misc including parts cross references - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Help! Can't Remove Spare from '83 Turbo

OK, this is embarrassing. I realized this evening that I'd never checked/filled the spare in my '83 Turbo, but I can't seem to get the damn thing out. Between the jack mounts on one side and the headlight motor on the other, I have essentially no room to move sideways, but the real problem seems to be that even when I pull the wheel up and towards the windscreen, I can't get it to clear the bonnet hinge, seen here with the wheel lying flat...

post-6978-0-56754900-1316404809.jpg

In order to do so I'd have to force the wheel so hard that I'd probably blow a hole in the bottom of the boot. It doesn't look like much in the photo, but even when the wheel is back and up, I need at least another inch to clear the hinge, but have no room to move. Any suggestions? Thanks!

1983 "Investor's Special Edition" Turbo Esprit (#43/50) | 2012 Evora S

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have an S4 and not an S1, but that rim looks a lot deeper than the one in my car. Mine's black as well so I am not sure if you have the original spare? What does the tyre size read?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Yup that is original, I've no idea on how to get it out though....

Does the bonnet open on gas struts? The only thought I've got is that it's not opening fully, if it's on struts then maybe they are too shirt and won't let it open fully leaving the hinge in the way?

Chunky Lover

On my S3 I found you have to wiggle it towards the screen, lifting the edge as it touches the trim piece near the screen, then it should curve around the bonnet hinge as it comes out.

Failing that, let the air out and then work out if somebody has put a bigger rim wheel in there than it should be.

What does the tyre size read?

I'm pretty sure Simon's right and that it's the original tire. It's 175/70 SR 14. Irritating thing is someone's obviously serviced it because it's got a decent amount of air in it already. It's hard as a rock. Worthless unless I can get it out in an emergency.

I run my car without anyway, makes steering much easier at low speeds and tyreweld works! The reality is, my wheels wouldn't fit in the whole left by the spare anyway so it's pretty much redundant unless I want to leave the flat at the roadside.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Does the bonnet open on gas struts? The only thought I've got is that it's not opening fully, if it's on struts then maybe they are too shirt and won't let it open fully leaving the hinge in the way?

One strut on the left side, and the hatch opens to the point that if I push it any farther I start to strain the hing mount on the body. Almost vertical.

On my S3 I found you have to wiggle it towards the screen, lifting the edge as it touches the trim piece near the screen, then it should curve around the bonnet hinge as it comes out.

Failing that, let the air out and then work out if somebody has put a bigger rim wheel in there than it should be.

I'll try that as a last resort, but I'm not even sure I can reach the nozzle to let the air out. Someone must have figured it out since the tire's pretty well inflated already, but they must be smarter than me.

Problem appears to be that hinge.... On mine the hinges are much shallower and are offset much further to the sides (they appear from under the headlight pods). Do you think yours has been modded?

Now that's interesting. Dunno about the hinge depth, but that hinge is at least 9 inches more towards the center than the left hinge, so maybe it has been modded. Still, unless I've missed some maneuver, they must have put the hinge back on after laying in the tire. Bizarre.

I run my car without anyway, makes steering much easier at low speeds and tyreweld works!

I see a can in my future.

Edited by Moxie

I thought the idea with the esprit was that a flat went in the boot Bibs? What I have found funny is the number of people who when trying to put the spare on the car, haven't been able to get it to fit? So if you get it out, try and put it on and if it won't fit, leave it out anyway.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

My rears are 295 wide, they'll not fit in the boot mate.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

My rears are 295 wide, they'll not fit in the boot mate.

So where do you buy your jeans then? :harhar: Oh sorry, you meant your tyres.

I read:

My rear is 295 wide. You can fit your boot in that mate.

Edited by ramjet

Cover yourself in butter too. It will help.

Evora NA

Guest WausauLotus

Interesting that I never noticed that the right side hinge is located almost in the center rather than being offset like the left. Just tried to take mine out and althougth it's tight, it comes out with no real problem. It's a 175/70 SR14. 84S3T

Garlic butter would be better...

Evora NA

Well, after monkeying around for almost an hour, I still couldn't get it out, threw in the towel, and bought a tube of Slime tire goop. Advantage, Mr. Rubix.

Only time (so far) I ever had to use the spare was driving home from a night shift at Terminal 4 on New Year's Day. Front LH tyre burst. Right...out with the spare......hmmmmmm.

Couldn't undo the T bar screw thing holding it in!!!! Would NOT move.....had to wait until the little shop I had parked by opened and phone my brother for rescue....no mibile phones in those days....hooray for shopkeepers from the subcontinent! We ended up having to tear the fastener bodily out of the glass fibre and saw it in two to get the spare onto the car. Don't recall any problems getting the wheel out past the hinges, though. Never have bothered to replace the Tbar screwy thing...wheel sits in place quite happily without.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Would it make any detrimental difference to the handling/weight distribution if I removed my spare? I see Bibs says it makes slow speed handling easier, but what about at faster speeds, would it be too light?

I've never had to use the tyre weld products, but would think that if I did have a blowout, I'd probably call AAA anyhow.

Cheers

Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.

If your car's toolkit is anything like mine, the crappy lil' lug-socket isn't capable of doing the job anyway. I carry a lug wrench that provides plenty of leverage, and I do carry the spare as I've had tyres get damaged way beyond the ability of goop-in-a-can to do anything (as in HUGE holes torn in the tyre by debris on the road, etc.). It's good to be able to throw on the spare and carry on.

That said, if you know for sure that you won't be attempting to mount the spare, you may as well remove it.

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad