free hit
counters
New Speed Limit - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

The transport secretary is to announce an increase in the speed limit to 80mph with a concommittent decrease to 20mph in some parts of town.

As you probably have gathered I am no Tory supporter, but this is an eminently sensible move. Whenever I try to keep to 70mph as a normally law-abiding person, everyone passes me-that hardly needs saying. Now I just hope that more people will adhere to this more logical limit. If it was up to me there would be styretches of motoway with no speed limit, like Germany-with correspondingly harsh laws against tailgating.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah - you'll be doing the law-abiding 80, and you'll have an Audi up your arse wanting to do 90. It'd be the same effect whatever the speed limit.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

It's more the douchebags in 10 y.o hatchbacks caning it that concerns me. Agreed though.... this won't make any difference and our scumbag government will probably put toll booths up the following week "to pay for it".

Currently having an illicit affair with another marque, be back in the fold one day... B-)

It's more the douchebags in 10 y.o hatchbacks caning it that concerns me. Agreed though.... this won't make any difference and our scumbag government will probably put toll booths up the following week "to pay for it".

What about 30 year old sportscars?

I for one look forward to the opportunity of driving at 80 on the motorway :whistle:

Have not read much about this, but my gut instinct tells me this is just a balm to try and balance the fact that frothy mouthed, curtain twitching, early-retired, "public-spirited" pressure groups will now be demanding 20mph zones.......everywhere? Great.

If people stuck to the 30 limit, there would be no need for 20 zones

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

I did hear you cant get done for breaking the 20mph speed limit as the speed limit in uk is between 30-70mph Is this an urban myth?

When they go to 80 I bet they will fine much harder from 81mph to get more money!

Also Im more concerned with the way councils are reducing national speed limit applies areas even in rural places from 60 to 40 or even 30. I think they are doing this to reduce their carbon footprint (and to catch more speeders). Totally unjustified in my opinion.

Buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Well we've got:

50km/h in built up areas (30mph)

60km/h in less built up areas (37mph)

70km/h and 80km/h on single and dual lane roads (45mph and 50mph)

100km/h and 110km/h on freeways (60mph and 70mph)

Any quicker than those and your meant to get fined. Even with all of these, I still get passed nearly all the time by all sorts from P-platers thru to octagenarians. I even had one old dear pull out from behind me and go around me through a red light because I didn't go thru the yellow.

I'm with Sparky. It doesn't matter what the limit is. People will still break it. A speed sign is read by most as a suggested minimum.

I have also heard talk here in Victoria of suburbs going to 30 or 40km/h.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

20mph speed enforcement is a moot point. It is intended that enforcement be by means of "traffic calming" measures, humps, chicanes etc. or repeated reminder signs. I do know that, by the church at Hampton on the Thames, 20mph signs were erected...followed later by a speed camera. It was found that speed cameras could not be used to enforce a 20mph limit, so the original 30mph limit was reintroduced in order to allow the cameras to legally claim their victims!

An 80mph limit on motorways is merely legalising the status quo, and not before time, either. 20mph limits are idiotic....as there are times when 20mph is too fast, and most of the time it's too slow. 20mph near schools in term time when the pupils are entering or leaving...but at 2am or during the holidays there can be no justification for it. Speed is always relative to circumstances....and drivers know this and drive accordingly. If they don't they shouldn't have a license.

Top of my "wish list" is confining all trucks to the left hand lane with no overtaking allowed...they are all supposed to be governed to the same speed anyway, so overtaking shouldn't be possible in the first place.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

On my recent trip to Frankfurt a Brit lorry tried to overtake another on the 2 lane motorway. When we turned right hand corners he lost his 0.1mph advantage and was back to square minus one! A driver with lesser patience than I would have probably used a joining lane to undertake them both after following this bizarre game for a couple of miles!

I'm with you there moley, throw them in the stocks!

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Agree with Johns comments on 80mph.

TBH I have been to some fatal RTA's in built up area's involving young children so I am overly cautious in those area's anyway. 20Mph doesn't bother me as long as it's justified (Don't introduce it on a main road because theres a house somewhere along it!).

We have the crazy situation of the main trunk road between Norwich and Ipswich (A140) is 50 and 40 mph most of the way along it. Even in big open area's with no houses! And thats the Labour council in Suffolk that introduced that, so lets not turn this political!

I agree with Johns assessment of trucks but only on dual carriageways. The A14 is a nightmare to drive because of idiot truckers sitting side by side for miles because 1 is doing 0.25 mph more than the other! Having been in the Truck industry working for manufacturers I must point out that the speed limiter is set by the selling dealer. Many companies specifically request 54mph, whilst others the legal limit of 56mph. But the system that sets the speed limit is not 100% true. At Mercedes we had the program that no matterwhat speed you put in it it automatically set it 1mph lower than you put in, for safety sake.

Because of factors like this you will always have discrepancies in Trucks speed and overtaking delaying all us good folks in a hurry!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

My chum Bob (ex- 3Para) has a system for such trucks...only works on 3 lane motorways. He pulls over in front of the offending "overtaking" truck and brakes...this baulks the truck and the cretinous driver has no option other to pull back in behind the one he was alongside!! Since the "tailback" produced by such dumb overtaking attempts invariably spreads back along the motorway and results in the traffic a couple of miles back coming to a standstill, I wonder just how many accidents these "knights of the road" in their trucks have actually caused??

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

There is a lot of talk about educating drivers and I always slow down for things like children on cycles even if they are on the pavement cause you never know...but some education for people to be the hell careful on roads wouldnt go a miss! There we some little sods cockily crossing the road (plumstead rd by Aldie/tesco) with no regard and obviously felt no one would dare run the little 5h1tes over! All the cars had to deal with it!!

Buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

I like they way they say it will bring more people inside the law , perhaps we shold all rob banks.

Not the same thing, Peter. Stealing is regarded as absolutely wrong but a speed limit is an arbitrary thing. That is to say, there is not speed at which it becomes dangerous under any conditions. As such, in a democracy, the limit should be set to what the majority think is acceptable. Generally drivers drive at a safe speed. This may or may not be less than the speed limit.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

As such, in a democracy, the limit should be set to what the majority think is acceptable.

Are you really serious Trevor?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

An outfit called the Association of British Drivers has a lot to say about speed limits, and setting them by proper scientific principles based on the 85th percentile.... and not the prejudice, emotive and pejorative language employed by those who currently shout about "speeding".

It's worth a read.....

http://www.abd.org.u...limits_85th.htm

Edited by molemot

It's supposed to be set by 85th percentile most everywhere over here too, but municipalities often ignore this (despite it being law) for one reason or another, usually revenue collection.

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

In S.A. we have the opposite. Our present regime wants to drop our present 120 kph speed limit down to 100 kph due to the high carnage on our roads.

What they are actually referring to is the fact that we get, on an almost daily basis, 18 people killed in one accident due to an overloaded taxi driving at high speed on the wrong side of the road. Passengers do not have to wear seat belts even if they are fitted. Dropping the overall speed limit is not going to deter these idiots who think they are above the law, just annoy the general public.

A better option would be to have taxi drivers with actual drivers licences that were obtained legally and not through bribes and then have all of these Toyota Taxis fitted with electronic speed controllers to limit their speed at 80 kph.

Speed limits produce bad cars

Speed limits produce bad drivers

Speed limits will not increase safety

Speeding fines are a firm part of every community's annual budget to help compensate for incompetent monetary management

...and worst of all : These waylayers are not seen in front of schools or Kindergardens where it is necessary

NO, they ambush us during shift changeovers alongside dual carriage ways when we rush homewards after a long workday.

Mind if I cut in ?