Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Gearbox oil? TAF-X No more? - Page 4 - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Gearbox oil? TAF-X No more?

Rich H

Are you sure? Hated spilling blood for the six liters of TAF-X but since I am hunting for more torque and HP. Others are using Redline, et al, but most of them get changed out far more regularly than what I am expecting to do (C-Service) so did the dance. From what I have read so far from this and many other sources, there is no suitable exact equivalent to TAF-X, anywhere. Bummer, but await Hethel's pronouncement...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold FFM

Yup. I have a GT3, on Britain's roads, with no intention of ragging the crap out of it or achieving any more than it was originally designed to do. Were I desperate, with no alternative, I'd throw the Syntrans in. Academic though as I'm a long way away from a C and Lotus will have an answer by then. And, as you say, there are alternatives. My last stock of TAF-X has been exhausted though - shame.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

I thought some people run Redline MT90? I'm sure I have read it on a Lotus site.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Yep I had read that Bibs about better shifting, I do wonder if it is a short term gain.

My Ma and Pa make Olive Oil in Cyprus :) maybe we could have an outlet for it bibs?

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

I only repeat the factories recommendation. They are the only people I know who have done exhaustive testing of the different oil and know the exact specs of the materials used in the gearbox. Why would you trust another recommendation over that?

I too am confident they'll approve the Syntrans and will sing it's praises too but Redline/Royal Purple etc have never been tested, they just have a similar number on the front of the tin.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Castrol Edge sport has also been superseded by Castrol Edge FST

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400,2019 Lotus Elise Cup 250

Am I to remove the Mobile1 placard from my engine bay?sofa.gif

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

Is morrisons olive oil OK, or do will I have to use Waitrose extra virgin?

I think the point is that the Factory approve certain oils based on testing, not on the numbers on the tin.

These oils perform in similar manners at the required test points but their properties very significantly away from those test points.

From my point of view, while I am always willing to challenge the reasoning behind using the extra virgin option over the garden variety (Being an argumentative type), there are no benefits I can see to using non-factory tested oils. I had not appreciated/considered the implications of the oil's performance away from the mandated test points stated on the tin.

A smoother shift might be a short term gain but if the oil breaks down faster and the gearbox life is reduced you will never know until it's too late.

Lotus Esprit S4 - Work in progress

Porsche 924 Turbo - Parts chaser

Smart Roadster Coupe - Hers

The big deal on the Esprit is the temperature changes and pressure at the crownwheel/pinion. If your oil can't withstand those pressures, you've got more than 300 lbft of metal-on-metal in a fast & dynamic environment and that won't last long.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

"Is morrisons olive oil OK, or do will I have to use Waitrose extra virgin?"

What I really want to know, Rich, is if (as our bee keeper in residence) you've done the requisite testing of beeswax shear values?smile.png

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

Now there's an idea! lol

Might be a bit thick in the winter, I'll thin it with vodkarobo.gif

Lotus Esprit S4 - Work in progress

Porsche 924 Turbo - Parts chaser

Smart Roadster Coupe - Hers

• 1 month later...

For what it's worth, I have been using the RedLine MT 90 and I have to say that it made a very positive improvement to the gear shifting in my '91 SE. I have noticed that the oil has remained relatively clean for in excess of 20,000 miles and when I had the gearbox apart for the installation of a different diff, everything looked great in there. This obviously isn't a comprehensive "factory" evaluation, but it works for me. I don't know if RedLine is available in Blighty, but if it is, i would recommend you give it a try.

Yes, I have heard of Redline MT being used. However, I am having things done to the SE in order to hopefully have around 350 HP and 335 ft-lbs at the wheels. I am fearful that unless I use the specified oil in the LSD and UN1 I will succumb to an early failure using other oils. Anyone confirm these figures using other oils in the non-improved UN1?

I certainly understand your concern. However, I have been involved in some high performance applications and I have the greatest respect for RedLine Gearbox oils. Some of their other oils leave a little to be desired, but in the US at least, their gearbox oils, including MT90 are widely used in very hostile environments. Of course I'm just a consumer so I can't back this up, but I know what I would use in your application.

I'm not affiliated with or have any financial interest in RedLIne other than being a consumer.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, seeing how the UN1 will cost way more than I would ever want to spend to fix it, I will try to stay with factory spec'ed oil The fact that Castrol says it is the replacement may mean nothing more than that they do not wish to continue making TAF-X for the amount of sales it has encountered for it over the years can not justify its cost to manufacture. Of key importance, to me at least, is that GL5 rating. Of course, use what you believe will serve you best.