Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Gearbox oil? TAF-X No more? - Page 6 - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Gearbox oil? TAF-X No more?

Rich H

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rowge,

Probably the thing to do. Lotus dropped a lot of coin testing more than a couple of oils and only came up with one they felt would work long term. Were they right> I dunno, but testing beats advertising every day of the year.

bibs,

But production has been discontinued. So what is still on shelves is all there is.

Edited by MikieP

• 3 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

So, I'm still confused. Lotus have announced that it's OK to use Syntrans, in spite of contradictory findings by others?

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

I asked Opie about Millers CRX 75w-90 NT as a replacement and they agreed it should be fine, I'm just waiting to hear back from Millers themselves but the specs look right.

Edited by PhillipM

• 4 weeks later...

I didn't bother to ask the dealer, I probably should have asked as I bought some wheel centre caps of eBay assuming I'd be making a saving foolishly, they turned out to be for an elan, the local dealer had some correct centre caps in stock at the same blooming price !

Since I changed the gearbox oil my of side drive shaft seal is leaking, the oil that came out was as clear as day so hopefully this means it had the right oil in from the start or it has been driven well? I'm wondering if there wasn't 3 litres in before and now it's filled up the leak has started.

Will try the dealer, otherwise getting back on to Castrol classics for another 4 litres to keep topped up and save some for the next change in a couple of years.

• 3 weeks later...

Somebody can say if I can mix the old TAF-X with the new Syntrans?

Thanks for your help,

Feijucho. 

I wouldn't do it. It only takes 3 liters just change it.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

• 4 weeks later...

The new stuff, Castrol Syntrax Universal Plus 75W/90 is good. I had been critical of low temperature performance with the old  product, but this is noticeably better. Bloody expensive, but good.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

So............is it Sntrans or Syntrax we're supposed to be using now???

If Lotus say its the Syntrans, which is GL4, and TAF-X was GL5, how can this be?

All I really want to know is which GL rating should be used, or just go for a GL4/5 and hedge my bets?

I've been using Syntrax now for 4 years with no issues.

syntrax_zpsd031eb2a.jpg

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

• 3 months later...

Sorry for asking once Again, but what is the current status on un1 Renault gearbox oil?

Should we use old stock TAF-x, or

Should we use new stock Syntranx, or

Should we use new stock Syntrax?

Any good long term, those new oils?

If we one day find no more taf-x, then how about using the oil that does not contain enough additives to attack bronze, and that have a high pressure oilfilm to withstand the gears crunching oil effect?

So, is it more important to meet GL5 or having less bronze attacking additives? (as in gl5)

Edit: I've been looking at various Danish oil sites/sellers, and they write that Castrol Syntrans is the replacement for Castrol taf-x, and that it is GL4+.

Moreover they also write that Castrol Syntrax is GL5.

Further I do get a Little puzzeled, when I can read that Castrol demands apprx. 230 Dkr per liter, and other sellers Sells the same bottle for 118 Dkr.?

Does anyone have the same experience? What to chose?

Kind regards,

Jacques.

Edited by Jacques

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

• 3 weeks later...

As far as I know from my official Castrol supplier TAF-X is old stock as is the Edge Sport engine oil. Ive been using sytranx or whatever its called..GL4 AND 5 spec without any issues for 3 odd years. Now I cant comment on 10 years down the line but Ill be on a different geabox by then anyhow..

I've been using the new syntrax for a good 6 months now, excellent, and improved "Cold" performance.

As posted on the Yahoo Turbo Esprit list recently the recommendation is apparently Castrol Syntrans Transaxle 75W90.

Note the "Transaxle" in the product name as there is a Castrol Syntrans without that in the name which is a different product.

Following is an excerpt from Tim Engle's post regarding the subject:

*~*~*
Sent:  Wednesday, June 27, 2012 2:28 AM
To:     Rick MacLeish,  rmacleish@...
Cc:     Dave Simkin,  dsimkinlcu@...
Subj:  RE: Esprit V8 transaxle oil

Hi Rick,
I can confirm the new Oil specified for the Esprit Renault UN1 Transaxle is Castrol Syntrans Transaxle 75W90.

This replaces the now obsolete Castrol TAF-X

Cheers
Brian

*~*~*
Sent:  Thursday, April 19, 2012 12:18 PM
Subj:  TAF-X

As you may know, TAF-X has been discontinued by Castrol.   We have just run out of the last of the supply.   While a replacement has not been officially tested and approved, here is the information I have from the factory:

Quote:
Castrol TAF-X Transmission Lubricant
The TAF-X has been discontinued by Castrol.
They have advised that the replacement is Castrol Syntrans.
We have a sample here.

Due to the current Situation, we are unable to do any testing / validation as our cars are currently not able to be used.   However our Engineers have been evaluating the Specifications.

We agree with Castrol that the Syntrans is a suitable replacement for the TAF-X.
We know that Syntrans is being used in the Renault UN1 Transmissions without any reported problems.   We would expect it to perform as well as the TAF-X.

Other lubricants like Redline MT 90 have been used for years without any problem.
We only have experience of the Castrol Product so can’t say anything about the other lubricants.

At this point in time the Castrol Syntrans is the preferred product.
End Quote

Please note our new address.

Best regards,

Rick MacLeish
Director, Parts Operations
LOTUS CARS USA
2402 Tech Center Parkway, Suite 600
Lawrenceville, GA  30043
T (770) 476-6552
F (770) 476-6541

1995 S4s

That info is all in this thread from a couple of years back, nothing new there.

Brian is obviously now happily retired so it's unlikely to ever be tested at Lotus but from what they know of it, as per this threads recommendation, it's a suitable substitute if you can't get hold of any TAF-X.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

• 1 month later...

Yesterday I was called byt a Castrol dealership WHO told me, that TAF-X is inded rebranded to "Syntrans Transaxle".. He told me it have the very same indgredients and additives.

Anyone know about this?

Kind regards,

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

Below the answer of BP Europe SE - BP Nederland on my question about the successor of the TAF-X last november:

"De opvolger van de TAF-X is Syntrans Transaxle 75W-90"

Translation: The successor of TAF-X is Syntrans Transaxle 75W-90.

Esprit Freak