free hit
counters
V8 Coil question - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Che

V8 Coil question

I'm in the middle of rebuilding my engine, I have a question hooking up the sparkplug wire to the coil.

I want to make sure I am putting it accurately. Once I put the plenum, it's hard to reach and change it later.

Each coil are numbered (at top of the coil 1-2-3-4). But the numbering position does not correspond to the lotus book coil order. I assumed that Lotus coil was also used in another GM car?

So, I followed & used the Lotus book sequence instead of the coil numbering sequence. Am I right?

Thanks Che

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

From a drawing I made when I replaced my plug wires. (1) the left coil is for the right bank, (2) the right coil is for the left bank. (3) the numbers on each coil 1-4 refer to the cylinder in order from the front to back of engine. NOT to be confused with the firing order of 1,5,3,7,4,8,2,6

The Older I get the Faster I was

The service notes says to disregard the numbering on the coil pack and shows the numbering as:

1, 4, 6 & 7

3, 2, 8 & 5

When viewing the coil packs from behind (read left to right, upper numbers front-most, lower numbers rear-most).

The straight connectors are used on the coil end of leads 2, 4, 6 & 8 (i.e. inboard terminals) and the right angle connectors are used on the coil end of leads 1, 3, 7 & 5 (i.e. outboard terminals).

Edited by sailorbob