Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Ale - Page 7 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Ale

Bibs

7 minutes ago, Bibs said:

It doesn't take like pub beer of course, and takes a pint or two to adjust to but I enjoy it very much and at 50p/pint, what's not to like :D

You using bottles, or kegs? I gave up with bottles, too much like hard work, and Storage was an issue, too. I like the Rotokegs because they always take the beer from the top. That meant you could drink it earlier, as the sediment sank gradually downwards.

Margate Exotics.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I've got a keg with a pickup that floats so your beer always comes from the top of the barrel. Have bottled in the past but usually neck it straight from the barrel. Makes for a fun evening. :)

• Like 1

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

1 hour ago, Inkyfingers said:

Woodforde's pub (Fur and Feather) at Woodbastwick.

Many years ago, we came upon this quite by accident after 'parking' a rental boat somewhere.  It was an oasis after walking for what seemed like miles - Can't remember if it was the same walk, but we also called in a pub with some sort of 'talking bird' (with feathers) located outside.  Sure you locals will know that one too.   

I did try the wine kits many, many years ago, but breathed a sigh of relief when the price of a bottle of wine fell to something affordable to me, because they tasted awful.

But again, time may have improved them. Trouble is, with any of this homebrew stuff, it's like putting a rabbit in charge of lettuce in my gaff.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

I'm going to try making wine from my own grapes. I have a vine that grows in the conservatory that produces copious amounts of grapes. Thought I would give it a bash on the wine front. Treading grapes here I come!!!!

20160614_150930.jpg?i=1019764661

• Like 1
Dave - 2000 Sport 350

Apparently in olden days people used to queue up to tread the grapes. In those days foot hygiene wasn't what it is today and the grape juice did wonders for foot health. Learnt this when we visited a vineyard for a wine tasting session.

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

Bibs - to return to the original thrust of this thread, with the second batch of Wherry I made, I took the 'informed' decision to make 20 pints from a 40 pint kit owing to the fact that I struggled to drink 40 pints in the short time that it remains at its best (in a barrel) - I reckon 10 days tops - but I'm fussy!

I have no way of determining strength but the plan didn't work coz I couldn't drink more than a pint before I was pissed :sick: :animier:

• Like 2

Is the price for that bit in Yen or £?

We need to talk beer at the next meet!

I still reckon that even drinking 20-25 pints from a kit makes it bloody good value but like I say, I like my home brew to taste like the real thing - otherwise I'm not going to bother.

Adnams have just bought out a new beer called 'Ease Up' (I think!) - tried a bottle the other night - it is apparently a 'session beer' - I thought it was awesome - definitely one I could drink all night.

Ian - I'm not sure to be honest - I could well be at fault - with letting air in. I've now got a barrel where you discharge a small gas cylinder into the top to pressurize the barrel but I'm not even sure I'm doing that right. Think I need to discuss with Buddsy at our next meet.

If I'm doing a TLF BBQ at mine in the summer (currently planning to sort one) then having a few different barrels on would be great. Plenty of room for tents

I need to investigate rotokegs I think

• Like 1

@Buddsy

Cheers - at less than £2 pint - that's a bargain!

I actually know the F & F quite well as I worked around Woodbastwick for a couple of years and still get out that way on a regular basis

Love the barrels in the wall of the pub! Trouble is I'm always driving so never like to have more than 1 of each :devil:

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, oilmagnet477 said:

Ian - I'm not sure to be honest - I could well be at fault - with letting air in. I've now got a barrel where you discharge a small gas cylinder into the top to pressurize the barrel but I'm not even sure I'm doing that right. Think I need to discuss with Buddsy at our next meet.

If I'm doing a TLF BBQ at mine in the summer (currently planning to sort one) then having a few different barrels on would be great. Plenty of room for tents

I need to investigate rotokegs I think

Yes, it's the air that kills the time the beer keeps, Ant.

There are others on the market, but I only suggested  Rotokeg as it was the first ones I bought., and they worked very well.

I found that as long as I didn't go mad, I could drink most of the barrel without injecting any gas into the keg, as the beer gave up gas. If I had my mate round, and things were getting a bit serious, a quick squirt of CO2 did the trick. Never had any issues with beer going rancid before it all got consumed.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

• 4 months later...

You could have got a 72 pint barrel of Farmers Blond for £85 then nipped over to my place and borrowed my handpump and tilter! 

Got taken round here for my Birthday lastweek > http://www.sentinelbrewing.co/. The Guide informed us that Sheffield is now the brewing capital of the country because of the number of Breweries here.

Top venue - a mate is having his wedding reception here in a couple of weeks. Even the 'Kop Lager' was acceptable, but then again I am biased as the place is just down the road from Beautiful Downtown Bramall Lane! 

• 7 months later...

You should get the app Untappd or Beerbook as I call it.

The app logs your beers and pubs and you share with your drinking buddies you link with. You get a chance to rate the beers, put in your tasting notes and take a photo then toast those buddies. Good if you have mates all over the world. You also collect awarded badges and who doesn't like collecting stuff!.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Trappers Hat for me... made up north at the Brimstage Brewery. 

Also Lemon Dream, can't remember who by, but that is also particularly nice.

cheers (no pun intended)

Mark

• Like 1

Knowing I had tried death wish coffee, my oldest stepdaughter(35 now) and her boyfriend gave me a quart bottle of this IPA to try a few years ago. I can't bring myself to drink it however because a healthy version of the image bears an uncanny resemblance to her. It also reminds me of her looks and problems with anorexia going back maybe 12-15 years ago and my wife agrees, but neither of us ever asked her outright if she sees the irony(or intended it). She's still on the skinny side, but not like she was in therapy way back then.  It's supposed to be an IPA with coffee tones.

CoUPIE0VUAAu1cY.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Buddsy said:

In England? Looks....exotic!

buddsy

Currently here...

Screenshot_20180530-212008_Maps.jpg

Enjoying a beer watching the sunset at my other halfs aunts huge orchard! 

20180530_204024.jpg

• Like 1

This was Sunday lunch, we polished (!) off the bottle and have had another tonight with dinner! They take their vodka drinking very seriously and we picked up 2 more 1l bottles today ready for tomorrow.

20180527_140424.jpg

• Haha 1