free hit
counters
LMP 2 project postponed indefinately - Motorsport & Trackdays - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Gus82

LMP 2 project postponed indefinately

According to this weeks Autopsort the LMP2 project has been cancelled and no timescale has been given for reintroducing it. The focus is to be redirected onto the Evora based GT racing cars (and presumably the new Esprit).

I think rationalising the motorsports projects was inevitable especially as there are now increased signs that Lotus' involvement in F1 is becoming more serious, but its still a shame as I was looking forward to the company having a more significant presence at Le Mans.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I am a real novice when it comes to a lot of the involvement in racing. However, I would have thought it was far more useful to a car firm to circulate a car that people can actually go and buy (albeit without the racing suspension etc). A car that is easily recognisable as the road going cars.

I would think the return for investment would be greater for that sort of involvement.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

I think the business plan for Lotus was to copy what Porsche did with the RS Spyder LMP2 car. Porsche sold the cars to private teams rather than operating a works entry so they actually made a small profit whilst also promoting the brand.

One difference however could be that Porsche had lots of privateer teams who ran 911 based cars wanting to step up a level, whereas Lotus could invest money developing the car and then find there were no teams wanting to run it, particuarly given the economic turmoil. I don't know for sure but I think it likely that competing successfully in LMP2 would be significantly more expensive than GT1 etc.

So I get that its the sensible decision for now, but its a shame none the less!

Edited by Gus82

My understanding of the LMP2 project is that is was to be contracted out to another company. So While I'd love to see a Lotus LMP2 I think Lotus needs to be producing their own race cars (especially given Lotus' history - that they continually promote). The IRL thing fundamentally bothers me (as does the F1 thing) with plunking a Lotus logo on a Dallara(or a Renault) and then going and saying that it is a Lotus.

I am glad they are concentrating on GT racing with real cars produced and engineered by Lotus - even if the individual teams do the development.

If Renault actually becomes Lotus (in name and ownership) and the cars continue with the Lotus Type nomenclature I'll be OK with it.

Kyle Kaulback

Wise move! The Evora GTE program is still very new and in its development phase, it requires the motorsport division their full attention! It's no time to go into LMP2, they have years ahead of them to get there. In the meanwhile they'll have hopefully enough money and energy to make the GTE into a race victory contender!