free hit
counters
Lets see your axes - Page 5 - Guitar Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Mark Blanchard

Lets see your axes

Thanks. USA Hamers are amazing. Like Gibson Custom Shop amazing. Too bad Fender just rolled up the company.

If you're interested, there's an '82 black Hamer V on eBay at http://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-Vintage-1982-Hamer-Vector-Flying-V-in-Black-OHSC-Great-Shape-/281059452701 and a black '82 Sunburst at http://www.ebay.com/itm/380189385263?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2648

1983 "Investor's Special Edition" Turbo Esprit (#43/50) | 2012 Evora S

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Ok.... I'm admitting defeat for now on the photo front but here's my pride and joy... it's the one on the left.

http://www.medallionflyingv.com/71-340.html

It's a '71 Medallion Edition, completely original and looks amazing for a 42 year old guitar, just enough crazing to show it's age nicely. It used to belong to Matthias Jabs from Scorpians too.

Proper pics to follow one day... perhaps...maybe.  :smoke:

Currently having an illicit affair with another marque, be back in the fold one day... B-)

71-340.jpg

:P

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

It's a '71 Medallion Edition, completely original and looks amazing for a 42 year old guitar, just enough crazing to show it's age nicely. It used to belong to Matthias Jabs from Scorpians too.

Matthias Jabs is a motherf'r and uttered one of my favorite rock'n'roll quotes of all-time when he said of the Scorpians music, "Vee ah building bridges ant tunnels vit our minds!"

I want mine to look like that!  That looks great!

So you bought it from Matthias's guitar shop then?

Thanks! I bought it from Matthias's shop but it was one of his personal guitars.... I didn't know that when I bought it, i just happened to ask if they knew the history! "Sure it's Matthias's, he's coming in later I'll take a couple of photos and get him to write you a letter!"

Low and behold they were in the case when it arrived, saying he'd used in on the 'Sting in the Tail' album. Great shop to deal with, nice guys, sent over loads of pics beforehand, answered every question, nothing was a problem for them. 

Moxie.... great quote and not a bad player either!  :censored:

Edited by Stirling_Villeneuve

Currently having an illicit affair with another marque, be back in the fold one day... B-)

I've stuffed some nickel covers on the V and given it a few coats of teak oil, here's how it looks.  I hope not to far of yours Stirling.

FlyingVb_zpsc529d628.jpg

Edited by Mark B

Very nice indeed! I'll post some pics of mine soon... I'm thinking patina! :smoke:  

Thanks! I bought it from Matthias's shop but it was one of his personal guitars.... I didn't know that when I bought it, i just happened to ask if they knew the history! "Sure it's Matthias's, he's coming in later I'll take a couple of photos and get him to write you a letter!"

Low and behold they were in the case when it arrived, saying he'd used in on the 'Sting in the Tail' album. Great shop to deal with, nice guys, sent over loads of pics beforehand, answered every question, nothing was a problem for them. 

Moxie.... great quote and not a bad player either!  :censored:

That looks awesome Mark. I'm not usually a fan of humbucker covers, but they really makes that axe pop.

DUDE!!!...He used that on Sting?! Man, if he used that on the title track then that's awesome. Maybe he used it on the solo with a wah pedal kicked back a bit?

BTW, I posted some other photos of the Hamer Standard at http://www.hamerfanclub.com/forums/topic/39797-standard-appreciation-thread/?p=626029

I don't know what tracks he used it on but that wah pedal trick is awesome, very Micheal Schenker too! 

Well here's the last two axes I'll ever buy, before I turn muy attention to culling the herd via eBay and getting rid of the axes I never quite fell in love with and don't play. First up an Eric Johnson Maple Signature Strat in White Blonde, aka "Blondie":

Blondie.jpg

Unlike the Eric Johnson Signature Rosewood Strat at http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/46402-lets-see-your-axes/?p=447180 , aka "Lopez, the Heavy," this one will stay bone stock. The tremolo is amazing and stays in tune better than any Strat I've played--probably because they removed the string Ts, decreased the headstock angle, and staggered the tuners pins, but even so it'll go out of tune if you use the trem arm like shifting a Lotus on track, so I started using Big Bends Nut Sauce, or as Guthrie Govan says, "the unfortunately named 'Nut Sauce'", and it's incredible. I'd say you need to abuse the trem bar about ten time more in order to throw it out of tune once you've applied the Nut Sauce.

And finally, a custom Hamer B12M Semi-Hollow Body 12-String Bass in Aztec Gold, aka "The Aztec," aka the "Pocket Piano":

The%20Aztec.JPG

It sounds huge beyond belief, but you can really only play it effectively with a pick.

All the guys in Cheap Trick were close friends with Paul Hamer and Joe Dantzig from Hamer Guitars and one day Tom Petersson challenged them to make a quadraphonic 12-string bass, which they did. Then they made an 8-string version and then variations on mono 12-strings like mine. You can hear Petersson's on "Need Your Love" when it comes in at 0:55. He's got a bit of grind on the tone and it pretty much sounds like the entire bass and cello section of an orchestra: 

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/24954753/TLF/09%20Need%20Your%20Love.mp3

And Doug Pinnick from King's X played a Hamer Chaparral 12-string bass:

And then there's this guy running a solidbody version of my bass through a phaser and distortion pedal, although the distortion pedal crushes the snot out of the dynamic range...but it's still cool he worked out this tune for solo bass:

They did the back of the Hamer in flame maple too. Not sure why. Seems a bit over the top.

The EJ Strats aren't cheap, but I think for the money they beat the pants off anything from the Custom Shop at anywhere from another $1K-$5K more. I love the neck shape and the way Michael Frank-Braun EQ'd the pickups for the rosewood version. Basically I think they're the best Strats I've ever played.

Eric does an overview in these videos of both the maple and rosewood models:

And that Super-Vee locking trem bridge Eric put on his Dakota Red Strat is amazing, if only for the fact that you don't need to modify your Strat at all except for popping out the nut. It's a like a Floyd, but with the tone and feel of a vintage trem and no crazy routing. And you can float it. I put one in Lopez along with a Super-Vee Mag-Lok and I defy any trem system to beat it on all fronts.

Anyway, now all I have to do is lock myself in a cave for the next few decades with Blondie and Lopez so I can noodle the way Greg Koch does on the same axes:

I bought another guitar yesterday, this one's a Gibson Explorer.  I got it for a good price so couldn't say no.  It's not as flash as Moxie's Clockwork orange, just a regular 68 reissue.  It has a lovely fast neck and the pickups are monsters.

Gibson_Explorer_zps5e98ad90.jpg

Edited by Mark B

Survey says...YES!!!

Dunno about you, but I find that aside from the V, the weirder designed guitars are actually more comfortable. Like Explorers, Billy-Bos, etc. Have a great time with that beautiful guitar.

Explorers are amazingly comfortable. I'd like to try a chambered one. I bet that would be the ultimate. I love the way it rests on your leg and you can so easily change the lateral angle via the huge upper/rear bout.

Oh, and that's "Agent Orange". And trust me, with the possible exception of the paint job (highly debatable), yours is a better guitar. The Holy Explorer is sort of low-end. I just pimped it up to match my S1. But wait until you see the axe that's coming later this month or next to match the Evora S--with technical consultancy from the Lotus paint shop [insert demonic laughter].  :devil:

Hint (and the badge has since been countersunk):

post-6978-0-44653500-1366450556.png

The V's a knack playing sitting down but it's fine once you figure it out, love the Explorer, great looking guitars. 

I quiver with anticipation at its completion. The John Bolin Billy-Bo Pro Lotus Custom, in Burnt Orange:

post-6978-0-74718400-1370391545.jpg

post-6978-0-82299400-1370391555.jpg

post-6978-0-59732500-1370391564.jpg

Recently acquired this - Yamaha MSG Standard.

1XHgSMAV.jpg

Nothing special but to me utterly priceless. 

Why? Because it was one of two specially made MSGs that belonged to my guitar idol Alan Murphy (the other was his main cherry burst MSG deluxe used whilst he was with Level 42). I have been a fan for over 25 years and he has been such a massive influence on my playing. After all this time I finally have one of his guitars and I am thrilled!

Seen here on stage beside Alan when Level 42 were the house band at the Princes Trust Concert in 1989. sadly Alan was quite ill by this stage.

sAZqjKpE.jpg

It's goin off to it's spiritual home: Martyn Booths workshop for set up soon
Edited by smash

Congratulations on your recent purchase.  What a fine looking guitar and the quilted maple cap looks beautiful.  And with some proper rock and roll history.  Great to have a story with a guitar.