free hit
counters
Lets see your axes - Page 9 - Guitar Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Mark Blanchard

Lets see your axes

Yes, very nice!  I love it when you pay a small price and sudden all those years go by and it's a classic.

Never realized some of my guitars are nearly my age either.  My Rickenbacker 330/12 FG turns 47 in March.  My PRS I believe is almost 25 years old-just like my Esprit.  Hopefully we will all turn into classics one day.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

By far my weirdest axe--a one of a kind 2011 Moog Paul Vo Collector's Edition Guitar, in Black Burst on a AAAAA flame top, with w/ MIDI & Vo Power Control Mod. It might as well be a completely new instrument and I'm still learning the ins and outs. Got more switches that the Battlestar Galactica. Last two shots are before the Vo Power Control mod was done. You can click to blow them up.

IMG_20141211_143609.jpg

IMG_20141211_143634.jpg

IMG_20141211_143656.jpg

IMG_20141211_143726.jpg

IMG_20141211_143647.jpg

MG1.jpg

MG2.jpg

I had a BC RIch Bich 6 String in purple that I traded for Moog Taurus Pedals (the Rush, Yes, Asia, U2 type Tauras pedals

and not the other ones).  I can honest say your guitar has more knobs and switches than that BC RIch.

By the way it was a real BC Rich Bich from the got it from the factory direct in 1982 - not the NJ series garbage.  Another guitar that I probably should have kept.  Oh well.

You win the guitar with the most knobs award.  A guitarist one of my bands had the Roland GK-77 Guitar Syn.  What a $2,400 US piece a crap as well.  That was the first attempt at a Midi guitar I believe aside from the 70s Arp Avatar (remember that one?).  It took me so long to record songs because the tracking was so terrible.  I forgot what he did with it.

Any way, your guitar is very stunning.  I'm glad people on this forum appreciate these things.

Thanks very much. I'm not too proud to admit that number of switches is inversely proportional to talent.

Also, just to seal my reputation as a complete gear whore (quantity of gear is also inversely proportional to talent), I have Moog Taurus 3 Pedals...in a flight case.

Roundel less painful than a tattoo. Great story behind this axe, including luthier John Bolin speaking with Lotus as to the specs and process to match Burnt Orange, but full-story and more photos for another time...hopefully with MP3 for the brave-of-ears! 

Moxie%20Burnt%20Orange%20Billy-Bo%20Pro%

Looks wild!  So that's as close as were are going to get to an official Lotus Guitar then. I'm sure it's worthy of a press article.

Thanks, but nope...this is: http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/46402-lets-see-your-axes/?p=430812

Although lots of great people, both in TLF and Lotus HQ, were kind enough to help make the Burnt Orange guitar happen. 

1.JPG

That does look the nuts :D

Only one nut, and it's bone. And to Mark B's point, I'd be happy to write something for TLF News about my various Lotus guitars if you like.

Has anyone here attempted the clear sign of mental illness known as "Why yes, I am building two Coodercaster clones!"?

My Lollar "Oahu" and "Gold Foil" pickups showed up today...and my TK Smith CAR blade pickup is on the way...and I sourced an original DeArmond neck pup. 

image.jpeg

This time I've gone too far. (You can put that on my tombstone, along with the half-finished Coodercasters.)

• Like 2

I got a company bonus this month, so had a few beers tonight and some Blanton's Bourbon and decided it's time to buy another guitar.  So bought a new Gibson Explorer.  Sold my old Explorer a few years ago and always regreted it, so time for another :)

Here's my new one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282288354684?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

s-l1600.jpg

Mark,

Something psychic must be going on. Of the dozens of axes I've had, the only one I ever deeply regretted selling was my Gibson Skunk Baxter Firebird. I ended up missing it so much that I set up Google, eBay, and Reverb search filters for it in order to find another one. Then after several years of no hits, I just yesterday lost my patience, called an old college friend who used to work in PR for the Gibson Custom Shop and left him a voicemail asking if he might be able to point me in the right direction. Five minutes later I did an eBay search and BANG!...there was one, dead mint condition from a seller with 100% feedback and several thousand transactions. I'm swapping a few lesser axes for it, but I can't wait to get my hands on one of these things again...tomorrow!

Skunk Baxter Firebird.jpg

Psyched!!!

- Matt

P.S. That Explorer is stunning!

10 hours ago, Mark Blanchard said:

I got a company bonus this month, so had a few beers tonight and some Blanton's Bourbon and decided it's time to buy another guitar.  So bought a new Gibson Explorer.  Sold my old Explorer a few years ago and always regreted it, so time for another :)

Here's my new one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282288354684?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

s-l1600.jpg

That's it, I'm not talking to you anymore!

• Like 1

Does that mean I can finally reveal the one-of-a-kind TRON Les Paul that Daniel Simon agreed to design for me?

IMG_2511.JPG

(Kidding. It's a Photoshop job.)

I used to think Explorers, Firebirds, etc., were absurd, oversized things, but they're the most comfortable axes out there and consistently sound amazing. And that one is sweet. Real men play natural finish mahogany. 

• Like 1

Real Men play natural finish mahogany - well So does the Edge in U2.  He probably has several Explorers in his collection.  It's the "I will follow" guitar.  I might be wrong on the finish of Edge's Explorer, but he still plays it today along with the 1967 330/12 FG Rickenbacker which I helped his guitar tech Dallas Schoo refurbish with all new chrome bits back in the 90s.  Probably needs new chrome again.

I never played one, but I'll trust you on the comfort comments.

I've been after a 76 reissue for many years but there aren't many around and I've lost out to crazy bids on eBay.  They come up once every few years on eBay and tend to be expensive.  This one was a buy it now so I just grabbed it.

You have to be a young, wiry, guitar hero to strap on an Explorer. Which, despite my total craving for one, rules me out*.

*Says the bloke that has a Flying V as the weapon of choice.

Cant argue with that reasoning, it about sums me up. I just need to persuade the other half, then.