free hit
counters
silly question about turbos - Induction/Turbo/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

silly question about turbos

on a v8 the turbo on the left hand bank supplies air to the right hand bank cylinders, and the right hand turbo to the left hand cylinders with a small balance opening at the throttle housing. is this done as a balancing effect. the reason for asking is i am building a chargecooler set up using pwr barrel coolers and one of the pipe routing options would involve swaping the pipe feeds so each turbo would supply the same cylinders in which the exhaust gasses came from.ie oposite the what it is as standard, would this effect the balance of the engine or not. any ideas steve

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gosh that's a silly question Steve. What's sillier is I have not got a clue.

However, DanR knows a guy in Sydney that has added charge coolers to his V8 that he bought. This was a fair while ago, so I'd suggest it was all finished. Try and PM DanR and see if he can give you any info. I can't remember the guys name but the V8 was yellow and was retrieved from a crash in Tasmania I think. I have tried searching for the thread on here, but can't find it.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

I built a complete charge cool system with the PWR barels and swapped the feeds. No issues at all in swaping them. I used all v-bands and hard lines except for the BOV connectors and TB conectors to provide some flex points. In order to get the best fit I also shortened then cooler cores themselves. I will post up pics of my setup later today for you.

Here is a short video of them: http://db.tt/vtpNKA0j

I really like this setup. When I'm ready to upgrade the transmission I will be using a PWR liquid to oil cooler to create a trans cooler. They are small enough to run one along the cross member and I will T off the intercooler feed line and add a second return to the tank. Has anyone seen or know of a source for a -10AN single input to 3 -10AN outputs or -10AN distribution block of some kind?? :)

I also verified and installed a new trunk liner by these guys: http://www.lotuspbc.com/Photo_Gallery/Photos_New_Products.htm

The new trunk liner fit perfect without an modification, you can see it in the first complete package picture but they sold me just the liner without the rest.

I have to pull my system one last time soon to get my methanol nozzle bungs welded in and the last of the pipes and the cores ceramic coated (might use a different heat dissipation paint on the cores). When I do this I will make sure to take and post a bunch of pics of the completed system.

From the service manual section EMM.2.O

Charge air from each turbocharger compressor is discharged via a cast alloy duct, to a throttle body at the

rear of the engine. The throttle body contains two butterfly valves, one for each cylinder bank, operated by the

throttle cable via a rising rate linkage. Air then flows into an intake plenum comprising a common chamber,

two plenum chambers, and eight inlet tracts. The small common chamber sited immediately above the throttle

body, allows air supplied from the two turbochargers to mix and balance pressures before separating into two

plenum chambers, one mounted over each cylinder head’s cam cover. From each plenum chamber, four inlet

tracts lead to a short injector housing (intake manifold) on the opposite cylinder head.

To summarize, there is a mixing chamber above the twin throttle butterflies, so both turbos are feeding both sides of the plenum.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

If both turbo feeds mix before supplying each bank (so as to balance pressures) aren't you potentially unbalancing the potential power on each bank if you have one turbo that is not producing the same output as the other?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

If both turbo feeds mix before supplying each bank (so as to balance pressures) aren't you potentially unbalancing the potential power on each bank if you have one turbo that is not producing the same output as the other?

No, that's exactly why they mix. With the common pressure in the mixing chamber, one turbo could be at 1/2 power, and all 8 cylinders would still see the same 3/4 boost.

If they didn't mix, then the cylinders fed by the 1/2 power turbo would see 1/2 power, and the other 4 cylinders would see full power.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Just read my post again Travis and I wrote it incorrectly. My concern was if the feeds are split which my post does not indicate, but was meant to.

I am beginning to think though that Steve and Dave possibly have not split their turbo feeds if they have connected to the original plumbing.

I did not split my feeds, they operate the same as the factory setup (just swaped them). The mixing chamber is really just a spacer (IAT also attaches to it) with a slit in it between the throttle body butterflies and the plenum. You could weld up that slit and isolate the feeds one for each bank but having that mix/balance is a good thing because it masks any variances in the turbos and keeps both banks running at the same boost level as was mentioned already.

The common chamber is actually in the EGR manifold, where the exhaust gases are fed from the left hand exhaust manifold. Typical Lotus to combine one part for several purposed - it also makes sense to ensure that the hot gases are being shared between the banks.

The sensor in this casting in the EGR temperature sensor. The IAT sensor is located in the right hand compressor duct - next to the IAC port. If you still have the EGR components in place, you would definitely not be wanting to have your IAT sensor there !

Cheers,

Mike S

Edited by mike_sekinger

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica