free hit
counters
When might the new esprit be seen road testing? - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

When might the new esprit be seen road testing?

The launch of this new car is a little way off yet, but assuming things stay on schedule, when ought we to expect the first test cars winding their way around the public roads?

..or are they out there now, dressed up as robin reliants? (Well obviously not that!)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Test mules with running gear may already be about, they only need to run bits of drive chain, ecu's etc not the whole thing to start with. Then it depends if they are being tested on public roads or just test tracks. If they are testing full size prototype cars they may be running them on track at night to help elimnate pictures. Then nearer release date 6-9 months they may start to use camo cars on the road, and may be up in the artic for cold weather testing and down in spain for hot weather testing. And remeber alot more is done on Computer these days before pouring cash into building a real car. then of course a few will have to be built and crashed for testing I belive these are then destroyed by law.

If you hung around Hethel you would probably see test mules with holes drilled in the dash etc and leads sticking out to feed data units etc.

They may also have built a full size clay buck for styling etc along with a mocked up interior.

I used to work at Ford Dunton where they build and develop new cars. the above is basically what they did. Also remember they test stuff in middle of the knowheresville to try and avoid pictures etc.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

I work in nowheresville and we once had a guy who had crashed a jaguar 'test mule'. All very sad I'm afraid.

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

I think they're too late!

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

. Also remember they test stuff in middle of the knowheresville to try and avoid pictures etc.

Which is exactly why I've been camping out all month in Stornoway, camera in hand, hoping to observe the windows/sunroof/doors weather seal testing trials, part of the new "move to upscale market" water ingress elimination program. October is the rainiest month here. So far the only mules spotted have been the ones with hooves. Fingers crossed.

taking%20a%20photo.gif

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.