free hit
counters
Lotus take on Caterham head-on with new Se7en! - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Bibs

Lotus take on Caterham head-on with new Se7en!

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/exclusive-interview-with-louts-ceo-dany-bahar-39496.html

ae: So you’re saying a Lotus Seven revival is indeed possible?

DB: Well, I’ve seen some drawings and they look very nice, we have to see. It’s always possible, it’s just a matter of timing.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Didn't Lotus sell the license for the design of the 7 to Caterham? Does that preclude them from being able to revive the design themselves? If they can, good on them, but you have to admit that it looks a bit more like "What's TF doing and can we stick it up him?"

Also found the comment "All our hybrids will be based on a hybrid technology." amusing.

What else would you base them on? Steam engines?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

The respective legal departments/council must need something new to keep them busy and justified. :devil:

I did say last time I was at the factory there was a transporter full of Caterham sevens all painted up in Team Lotus colours in the car park near the track!

Buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Do you mean Team Lotus as in Tony Fernandes F1 team?

Why would a transporter full of them be at the factory?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Was that before or after Fernandes picked up his custom painted Evora? :huh:

post-1-0-45307000-1319189186.jpg

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I don't know but it's a very nice colour combo! :turned:

Ok I buy it theyc come with a 20XX seven! Considering the new line up price hike, how expensive would it be?

Do you mean Team Lotus as in Tony Fernandes F1 team?

Why would a transporter full of them be at the factory?

Yep it was this one

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=team+lotus+seven&hl=en&biw=1024&bih=653&gbv=2&tbm=isch&tbnid=bttVU5WtXsXx4M:&imgrefurl=http://www.gmotors.co.uk/news/team-lotus-buys-caterham-cars-celebrates-with-special-edition-seven/&docid=Zqy685mJyQSN0M&imgurl=http://gmotors.co.uk/news/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Team-Lotus-and-Special-Edition-Seven-650x292.jpg&w=650&h=292&ei=QvahTsirO8K98gONvJ36BQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=61&vpy=333&dur=137&hovh=150&hovw=335&tx=160&ty=92&sig=111794049357266810140&page=3&tbnh=80&tbnw=177&start=24&ndsp=12&ved=1t:429,r:8,s:24

http://www.teamlotus..._ipad_h_pdf.pdf

There was a lorry full of them. I could only think maybe they were there as some thing for the driving academy? It was when I was there for the win an Evora comp day. I had my phone in my pocket and was in two minds of taking a pic, I was about to but the chap at the gate had asked me to leave any cameras in the car etc. I felt after the free day out and them being so nice it would not be right...

Buddsy

2010mainsplash.jpg

How times change.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Surely A.C.B.C. sold the rights of the series 4 to Caterham, not the Series 3. Caterham produced the Series 4 until they realised that it was not as good a seller as the original 3.

I know there were court cases, but I think that was more over the use of the name 7 than other companies copying the Series 3 design.

Im sure the Lotus legal team could find an evocative name that would be ok...maybe Lotus 2-Seven?

I wonder if a certain Gordon Murray has been working on this project? Sounds right up his street to me!

Buddsy

THe above quotes:

ae: So you’re saying a Lotus Seven revival is indeed possible?

DB: Well, I’ve seen some drawings and they look very nice, we have to see. It’s always possible, it’s just a matter of timing.

are part of a larger interview with Dany:

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/exclusive-interview-with-louts-ceo-dany-bahar-39496.html

It was precede by this:

autoevolution: We understand why you chose this new pathway for Lotus, but why does this have to exclude an ultra lightweight car? You could introduce your planned offensive and also create such a car. We’re not referring to a

track toy like the 2-11, but rather to a Lotus Seven revival...

Dany Bahar: Say again, why did you have to exclude an ultra lightweight car? Who excluded that? I think that what we showed at the Paris Motor Show was a great lineup that included main models, Elise, Elan, Esprit, but we never excluded any exiguous or hardcore lightweight car such as a Lotus Seven or a 2-11 or something. This are considered products, Lotus will always do lightweight hardcore products even if we have a four dour sedan in the market. So one doesn’t exclude the other one. All we want is a comprehensive lineup that offers products for all sportscars enthusiast.

There would surely be legal issues if Lotus tried to make a car and call it a Seven especially if it looked like a calssic Lotus Seven or Caterham Seven. But I suspect the (concept) drawings that Dany is referring to are more modern in design than a Caterham (or Lotus) Seven.

Kyle Kaulback

I doubt this is nothing more than an off the cuff remark. It would be madness of Lotus not to do some concept sketches of lightweight models etc, but there is a big difference between this and putting together a business case for such a vehicle.

As was suggested by someone else in another thread I doubt there are concrete plans for anything beyond the next couple of models. The claimed high commonality of parts between the Esprit and Elite (was 80% mentioned?) means that car is probably a dead certainty, but I think there will be a year or two between the Esprit launch and the Elite appearing as lessons are learnt from the Esprit launch, initial orders fulfilled and profits from that car used to finish development. However that means it might be 2015 before they are really stuck into the next significant new model to follow the Elite by which time it might be the Evora that needs replaced.

As I've said before I don't think that the new Elise could be profitable without a joint venture or new technology being available to reduce productions costs. It may be therefore that Lotus could look to a single track day car (with no need for air-con, retractable seat belts, airbags, door seals or a conventional roof) to replace the Elise/Exige/2-Eleven. Such a car I would imagine would be more a spiritual successor to the 340R rather than a direct new 7 replacement as it would surely be mid engined and reflect Lotus' modern design direction.

The bottom line is that I don't think Lotus has a fixed model line up, it will develop as the new product is released.

Was that before or after Fernandes picked up his custom painted Evora? :huh:

post-1-0-45307000-1319189186.jpg

Hey up, its Jack.

What is the difference between an overtake and a crash? An overtake is a crash that never happened!

I think Lous will struggle to retain any credibility if they buy Aspid & stick on a Lotus badge. You could call the hotwheels concept of a few years ago a modern Seven

I think Lous will struggle to retain any credibility if they buy Aspid & stick on a Lotus badge. You could call the hotwheels concept of a few years ago a modern Seven

Yeah, that was superb! Also does anyone remember the Lotus Echo concept from the mid-90's? Can't find a picture of it online but it was very 7-ish but mid engined! Would make a great road legal mini F1 car.

But wasn't the S1 Elise really a modern day Seven? I can't see Lotus going down that route again, mind you if Gordon Murray has the Rocket Mk2 up his sleeve...

Currently having an illicit affair with another marque, be back in the fold one day... B-)

But wasn't the S1 Elise really a modern day Seven? I can't see Lotus going down that route again, mind you if Gordon Murray has the Rocket Mk2 up his sleeve...

The Elise concept from the 2010 Paris motorshow suggests not, but a limited volume car in the mould of the seven might make sense if there isn't funds to develop that car or the capacity to manufacture it. It would allow Lotus to stay in the track day market and if built in limited numbers they could probably sell the car at a higher price than the current Elise. Was just on Pistonhead's looking at 340R's and they still sell for about £35,000!

I don't think they should try reviving the seven name though if they do go down this route.

Elise is more of a modern day 21 (Caterham 21... look it up) kidding.

I remember Lotus had a Seven concept on the stand at an auto show around 1993-1995... I just can't find aany photos or mention of it. It wasn't the 340r or any of those. It was basically an open wheeler with no doors..

Of course if Lotus show a Seven like design now, they can always gauge reaction and see if they can build a business case for one... Just like they did with the Elite, Eterne, Elan, Esprit, and Elise... I just can't figure out why they decided against the Elan, since as far as I saw, that one got the most praise!

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

I remember Lotus had a Seven concept on the stand at an auto show around 1993-1995... I just can't find aany photos or mention of it. It wasn't the 340r or any of those. It was basically an open wheeler with no doors..

That was the Lotus Echo concept, I have an old copy of Autocar I held on to just because of this car (i know thats quite sad!). As you say no pics online, but I think it was a project with a Swiss design school rather than something designed fully in house. Still a great concept though!

A 2-11 with a windscreen would be pretty close TBH

Totally agree, though it could have a funkier design. The 340R had a more emotional look with the exposed components and open wheel style design, plus it had a funky but still very spartan interior.

Another interesting design by a student was the Sunbeam Tiger that was shown a couple of years ago: http://www.carbodydesign.com/archive/2009/04/13-sunbeam-tiger-concept/. That nose/grille shape is already quite similar to the new Lotus style!

I'm sure I heard rumour of a '3'-Eleven some time ago?

Evora NA