free hit
counters
Looking to buy a Turbo Esprit - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
wolflyn

Looking to buy a Turbo Esprit

hi,, i have just joined the forums,, im from Neath in South Wales, UK, are there any local owners?

im interested in buying a Turbo Esprit, (Giugiaro) i currently have approx 10k to spend, would prefer something that doesnt need restoring, any advice greatfully recieved,,

anyone know anything about the following cars?

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2283868.htm

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3356750.htm

several posts that i have read suggest not buying the turbo esprit as your first esprit,, but it is the car i have always wanted to have, but could never afford one,, i have owned several renault 21 turbos, but now its time to finaly look for the car i have always wanted, unfortunately i missed out on GBO 07 last year as the ebay sale kept getting pulled, and although from the the comments in here that it needed work carried out on it,, its a dam shame another Essex lotus has left the UK

anyways hope to heare from some of you,, and possibly local owners

cheers lyndon

1981 Turbo Esprit

esprit-avatar-lew.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Lyndon

Welcome on board.

Don't know either but if you're serious I'd try and have a look at them as it's hard to tell from pictures alone. On the face of it I'd say that the white one looks slightly better, being a slightly later car, but it's really hard to tell as so much is dependent on history and condition. The carpeting in the boot (missing on the red one) suggests that it has been looked after but of course could be a replacement.

Isn't there a red HC Turbo for sale from somebody on here? - that would be a better proposition I suspect. There was also the two tone Celebration HC model at a garage in the South West.

The Essex 007..? - You honestly had to see the car to appreciate the work required. It may have been okay mechanically but how much would a proper complete respray plus interior cost?

Hi Lyndon,

Although I'm no longer an owner I have owned 4 Esprits over the years (check out my web site) & as I live just down the road in Jersey Marine I'd be happy to give advice on any problems that arise or even go to viewings with you.

Good luck with your search. :thumbsup:

Cheers,

John W

http://jonwatkins.co.uk

Hi Lyndon

Welcome to the forums.

I recently went through the same process you are going through and also was looking for a car that did not need restoring. After looking at 7 cars I bought the Black Turbo and am happy with it, however I still ended up having to do a fair bit of work to it and it's still not right. In that short period of ownership I have learned quite a bit about the car and would look at other Esprit's very differently now, so my point is that it's best to take somebody along who has, or does own one wherever possible because there's no substitute for first hand experience.

The red one was on my list - I did not look at it in the end but spoke to the dealer who told me it had just had a new manifold fitted, which is pretty handy! That one has been up for sale for about a year now.

Good luck

Rob.

Edited by robington

Welcome to the forum Lyndon. :welcome: Other guys that should be able to help with the cars will pop in soon.

Other than that, if you have any trouble or issues with the forum, contact us guys in blue. We're here to help. :)

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

I suspect the 1st isn't in original paint and looks a little tarted up to me (seems a big difference in condition between inside and outside). 2nd looks much nicer, has glass roof and superior front suspension. I'd ask for some photos of the interior and engine bay. I reckon that's a simple way to check for a looked after car.

Hi Lyndon

I live just north of Caerphilly and have an Essex Blue Turbo.

It's not MOTd Or Taxed at present but if you want to come see what it's like in person and see if you fit in it then just give me a shout.

Chunky Lover

My first Lotus is an S3 Turbo, my second is an Excel (in name only its really hubbys car).

I highly recommend ownership :)

hi guys thanks for the welcome,, much appreciated, ive aspired to have an esprit since i was a kid,, im now 43,, so obviously i am in no rush to purchase one yet,, and obviously waiting a little longer will increase my funds (as long as values dont keep going up)

John and Simon good to hear from some local guys too,,John, yeh im only a few minutes away , Simon as it happens im in Bargoed most weekends visiting friends,, so would love to meet up at some point

as for working on the cars,, having owned renault 21 turbos for over 12yrs, i can be pretty hands on mechanically, but i miss that turbo feeling so much, and although the volvo is pretty quick, its just like driving a barge, what volvo was thinking when they threw the suspension together!!!

1981 Turbo Esprit

esprit-avatar-lew.jpg

2nd looks much nicer, has glass roof and superior front suspension. I'd ask for some photos of the interior and engine bay. I reckon that's a simple way to check for a looked after car.

I agree :thumbsup:

Cheers,

John W

Ok here is where I get picky! lol Both the G cars look nice. The first red one they say pretty much totally original but one thing you could use as a bargaining point is the bumpers and wing mirrors have been painted...I think. I’m sure they didn’t get painted at the factory until the 1985 change and so should be black. Weather you would want to change them or not it up to you but could help in negotiations?

Buddsy

If your looking at a later car Bibs might know where there is a nice SE!

Buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Bargoed..... You drive past our front door....

We live by what is now Taylor's motor company, previously Dans Bangers, previously David spears commercials.

Thank god Dans Bangers have gone, it was always a little embarrassing using their name for directions but that's just cause I'm a bit of a snob! :)

Chunky Lover

Good old Bob Basted car sales. Nice guy actually!!

Anyway, hi Lyndon and welcome to TLF.

Rob is 100% on the nose I'm afraid. Unless you buy one from a guy on here who is fussy as hell its rare to find one with no work needing doing. At £10k you should get a decent one but an £8-9k one should do with £1000 for remedial work.

One of the issues is that they are cheap to buy for a classic Supercar, but they are just that, an 80's supercar. People buy them thinking they can maintain them on a shoestring and you can't. I bought a newer S4 and still ended up spending £3000 to get it right, to my standards. However it never failed to put a grin on my face.

Good luck with the hunt. You have Simon down the road from you and he knows his mechanical stuff and what to look for.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

found this one still for sale

http://www.esprit4sale.co.uk/Sale/UsedCarCentre.html

1985 Lotus Turbo Esprit Libary Picture

Fabulous looking red 1985 Lotus Esprit Turbo 2174cc - Full service history. 69,919 miles - had engine rebuild in 1997 at cost of £5000 - plus around £20,000 of receipts for all completed works since new. Full service history. Stainless steel exhaust. All new shock absorbers and new springs in 2004. Good Pirelli tyres. newly fitted cam belt (with receipts) fitted 5th September 2011 and 12 months MOT. £7,500 - no offers

anyone know of the car?

1981 Turbo Esprit

esprit-avatar-lew.jpg

It's quite a way down the list - A red Turbo G car. It's about 30 miles from me if you want somebody else to come with you to look at it. I am no expert, but having already spent many hours under mine I have a pretty good idea.

Rob.

Ah, opened the page in IE instead of Chrome, now the rest of the cars show.

I'd suggest (despite it stating Library picture at the top) that could be the car itself. It maybe that the owner didn't have any photos originally so used a library picture to start with.

have spoken to the owner, ,and the photos shown are now the ones of the car

having read through the forums, it appears the s3 can be slightly cheaper to run and buy,, but the turbo esprit has always been the one i have wanted, and dreamed of owning. later 87 -HC models also appear to less problematic from some of the comments in posts,

S3 cars seem to be more common than the turbo and in my price range,, along with a few of the stevens shaped cars.

for the guys here that have started with an S3 and traded up, or even if you have gone back to an S3 i would love to hear your views,

theres a few SE cars for sale at the moment and although i like them,, they just dont have the same appeal to me as a G car,

1981 Turbo Esprit

esprit-avatar-lew.jpg

I started with an S3 21 years ago and have kept it despite getting a 1980 (Essex) turbo about 4 years ago. The S3 is a fantastic car to start with and I'd say in most respects its a better ownership proposition. It looks great, arguably better than a Turbo (cleaner lines etc), is cheaper to maintain and goes almost as fast. The ONLY difference in my mind is the push into the back of the seat you get from the turbo kicks in. The S3 seems nimbler and quicker off the line. In a drag race to 60 the turbo is fractionally quicker but it would depend more on your ability to drop the clutch - it's that close in reality.

On balance they are just different, one is not better than the other. If you've always set your heart on a G turbo then I wouldn't buy an S3 as you'll always think in your mind that you've got the wrong one.

Earlier this year Classic and Sportscar did a review of my S3 v a Delorean and the mortoring journalist was blown away by what a fantastic car and hidden gem the S3 was compared to the DeLorean but also to the Esprit Turbo.

Oh and personally, its got top be a G car.

Edited by Bazza 907

On balance they are just different, one is not better than the other. If you've always set your heart on a G turbo then I wouldn't buy an S3 as you'll always think in your mind that you've got the wrong one.

thats exactly what i was thinking,, i know the turbo is going to cost more own, and having felt the rush i had with the renault 21 turbo,i wouldnt want to miss out on the turbo esprit, the reason i bought the renault in the first place was because it had similar perfomance,, but i didnt have the budget,, similar questions are asked on the 21t forums with regard to the different models, as that had 4 versions, PH1, PH2,PH3 and Quadra, and everyone had a favourite, as they all drove and performed differently, although the PH1 is still my favourite,

your comments are appreciated, a later G car it is!!! unless an essex make an appearance one day

1981 Turbo Esprit

esprit-avatar-lew.jpg

I went from a '74 Europa (1500cc twin cam) which I thought was fast to an S3 Esprit (which was about the same speed wise but a lot more sophisticated) to an '98 Esprit turbo and the extra power of the turbo was fantastic.

Trouble was I then bought an S4s & chipped it which made everything else seem pedestrian.thumbsup.gif

Cheers,

John W