free hit
counters
Looking to buy a Turbo Esprit - Page 3 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
wolflyn

Looking to buy a Turbo Esprit

Cheers guys, hopefully get to meet some of the local guys, as I obviously will need lots of advice, even has the roof mounted Panasonic radio, unfortunately the head unit has been changed to a modern one :-(

Forgot to say all it needs is the Essex stickers and don't think anyone would now the difference lol, as for bumpers definately will repaint satin black, plus a few touch up elsewhere

The downside is that it doesn't have full service history, only partial

1981 Turbo Esprit

esprit-avatar-lew.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

You probably know but just in case.. being a dry sump there is a very different method of checking the oil level.

I have a roof stereo in mine, local radio people fixed it and got a line in so I can run an ipod through it - so it can be made to work with modern stuff - main question is whether the amp is still behind the passenger seat - hopefully it is... there should be the clock and small cubby hole where they have probably put the stereo in yours...

WOWSERS! Great looking car! many congratulations Lyndon. I think you got a real bargain there, especially with all this talk of values lately.

I belive this piccy is from Castle Coombe some years back:

Lotus_Essex_Front.jpg

Defo get your bumpers back to black & paint the wing mirrors.... all you would need to do then is glue some tin foil down the sides and youve fot a "fake" essex!

hope you had a great drive home in it. I will never forget my first drive in my blue s3... out of paul mattys and straight onto the M42 in rush hour. I remember thinking specifically that the gearbox was made of a combination of stones and branches!

Welcome also to the exclusive Dry Sump club... rule number one is that you do not talk about Dry Sump club, rule number 2 is that you must check the oil two minutes after stopping the engine..... rule 3 is that you must learn the handshake....

be great to see some more flics of the car once youve got it home.

Regards,

Jon

Edited by hopo

Must be worth even more with the Bond reg plate...Walther PPK must be worth a fortune!!

Buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Dry sump club ? Never heard of it! U must be mistaken!!

My misses always gives our cars nick names, she wanted to call it pixie via it starts with p and ends in x, but I said Walther lol, Sud I spray in bronze and fit a ski rack lol?

Don't think the Essex lads wud be impressed with a tinfoil fake Essex :-(

1981 Turbo Esprit

esprit-avatar-lew.jpg

Well done!

That's a really good looking car and with the roof stereo as well !!

Amazing.

I hope you enjoy it.

Rob.

thanks for the comments guys

wonder if you could answer a few questions,, this is where the complete novice owner questions begin ;-),,, my lotus doesnt have the tailgate release behind the drivers seat,,, as there is lock on the tailgate,,

also the choke isnt under the steering wheel,, but located on the tunnel top mounted in the centre arm rest, between the electric window buttons,, (well i think its the choke)

also there is a rocker switch located there too (photo attached) dont know what this is for.....

med_gallery_13509_190_712045.jpg

is this because its an earlier esprit

1981 Turbo Esprit

esprit-avatar-lew.jpg

Your car is standard with the tail mounted boot lock and the armrest mounted choke. The rocker switch looks to be aftermarket so not sure what that controls.

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

The tailgate release and Choke are correct for a turbo. There also appears to be a non-standard LED next to one of the window switches? Wonder what that is (fake alarm?)

dont know what that is for either,,will have to trace wiring,, the aeriel doesnt work,, did wonder if somone had fitted a switch to it, no alarm fob came with it

thanks for the answers

1981 Turbo Esprit

esprit-avatar-lew.jpg

There is a rocker switch under the steering column which turns on the electric aerial

John

Edited by Mr_John111

Two problems with a roof mounted stereo, it's hard to use and u don't half crack your head on it leaning over other. Side of car when u forget it's there,!!

1981 Turbo Esprit

esprit-avatar-lew.jpg

Yes but it's just so cool to play around with it whilst in traffic..

Edited by Bazza 907

We have great fun at the NEC Classic asking people to tell us where the radio is. They look all over the dash and scratch their heads. We then direct then to the inside of the roof, the comments back are ace. Wow, cool etc.

Cliff

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. : Albert Einstein

sorry havent been around for a while,, but have been working away,, had the history back from lotus on the car, as well as contacting the dvla to get a list of all previous owners,, PPK65X was originaly white when it left the factory...and was resprayed in the early 90's,,

sadly Bell and Colvill cant help with any original history as they have move their archives three times.....as it needs a repaint,, the decision is now wether the leave it blue or put it back to its original colour...

1981 Turbo Esprit

esprit-avatar-lew.jpg

Go back to the original colour and then it won't be pretending to be something it's not, and all the better forit. Bumpers must be blac too. Not that I don't like the colour, I do, but only the Essex cars are allowed to be blue.

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.