free hit
counters
7,000,000,000! - General Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

7,000,000,000!

Bibs

That's a lot of people, almost twice as many as when I was born!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/interactive/2011/oct/24/how-big-worlds-population-born?fb=native

There were 3.8bn in 1974...

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Keep `em coming ! They are all made in God`s image ! Alright some will be grossly deformed and die within weeks and others will kill their mums through the agony of childbirth, and some of the gang have not really respected their rights as children in quite nasty ways, but never mind that and its probably your fault anyway for being born a sinner

SO- just shut up and keep `em coming or you will go to Hell!! "

.....and to think that is still an ideology sold to billions as the gospel truth. We have a long way to go.....

Mother nature keeps doing that mate.

My worry is she will get pee'd off with us all and decide there needs to be a change at the top of the food chain!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

So 4.5 extra billion in 50 years (thank me later Moley!). Where did they all come from? How have we managed to cope with such a massive population explosion? If iPhones weren't made in China would none of these extra people have somewhere to work?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

There is a valid argument that having more children makes a family more effective and efficient at subsistence farming. Problem with that is, if carried to the ultimate, EVERYBODY ends up as subsistence farmers...Civilization only really got going once farmers were able to produce more food than their own families needed; then people had time to think and do other things than just scrub about trying to stay alive. Child labour is still rife in large parts of the globe.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

They think the population could double again!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthnews/8850487/World-population-could-double-warns-UN.html

Blimey, we'll need bunk beds and Ford Galaxys!

Evora NA

I just thought I would have my penny's worth with some quotes from a book I am reading.

"All the problems of this World we live in, such as pollution, over fishing, deforestation, famine, drought, crime are all caused by one problem and that is overpopulation. Until the World addresses this, these problems will increase and civilisation will ultimately decline".

"Compulsory sterilisation of all people who do not have an IQ of 90 by their 12th birthday".

"Famine and drought are natures way of saying that there are too many life forms breeding in that area".

"Some specie of the human race can be likened to a bacteria rapidly multiplying and destroying everything in its path".

If it helps, I saw on telly yesterday that this figure means 7 billion would fit into a city the size of France.

And...overpopulation is definitely a problem but feed into the equation unequal land ownership, types of wasteful land usage and poor global access to crop-maximisation technology and the problem is more complicated and more solvable than a simple exercise of birth-control.

Check out Philip Larkin's poem "This be the verse". The answer is in there...depressing, contentious, bound to cause a lot of debate just as it did when it was written.....make up your own views!

Edited by IanQ

Though this be madness yet there is method in it ( Polonius in William Shakespeare's Hamlet)

On a brighter note, it turns out that, in the well-off countries, people naturally have smaller families on average, leading to an aging population which will, in turn, lead to population reduction.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE