free hit
counters
S2 Getrag Elite/Eclat on an early Elite/Eclat - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

S2 Getrag Elite/Eclat on an early Elite/Eclat

Hi Folks,

In my search for a Elite or possibly Eclat, I've come to the gearbox. If I would to buy a four speed Eclat could I change that for a S2 Elite/Eclat Getrag (not from an Excel)? What parts beside the box and stick would I need?

Cheers Dyna

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I believe it is a fairly simple swap as long as you use the Elite/Eclat gearbox rather than that from the Excel. You've obviously been doing your research.

If I were you, I would speak to Mike Taylor at Lotus Bits (01926 633211) as they are pretty switched on with what you can and cannot do with a 1970s Lotus and they can probably supply the parts at decent prices.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Thanks, the Getrag from the Elite/Eclat is listed as 600 pounds on Lotus bits.. the thing is that I can get one cheaper than that from another source. Well maybe I need to buy the other bits from LB.

Cheers Dyna

be careful, as not all Getrag 265's are the same. Some have different ratios, different speedo drives and different tail shaft/output flange arrangements. (The Opel Monza one looks longer at the tail, and the BMW one has a different output flange)

All these bits can perhaps be swapped if you are fixing an S2 with a broken box, but for a fresh install, you don't have the existing box to mix and match the bits from....

the one you want is a 0.82 ratio overdrive box without a dogleg shift. It looks like this...

getrag box.bmp

NB, why is it you want to swap from the ford 4 speed box?

It's a good box with the nicest change of any of the variants (imho). Is it just that you want the longer legs of the fifth gear?

NB the ford 4 speed box uses a different propshaft - probably bellhousing also, but not 100% certain.

Also, if you are looking at Getrags, all 265's start witht he serial number of 262 (4 speed). This is because the 265 is essentially a 262 (4 speed) with another section bolted on the back which contains the fifth gear.

Identification can be tricky. 265's were used in a number of things (pre-83 large six cylinder BMW's, Jag 3.6 XJS, Opel Monza/Senator, BMW M3 (early) & Lotus Elite and Eclat S2.

I'm not sure that any of the applications are an exact match for the Lotus spec box.

Edited by Dunc

Hi Dunc,

I see that the Getrag in the picture still has the gearlever attached, does anybody know how to remove the gear lever!!!!!

I need to restore the lever on mine as it has gone very rusty but cant seem to work out how to get it off, It is obviously connected with a rubber bush in the wider part of the lever but how to remove? I can twist it round and round but it wont un-screw, there are no nuts or bolts showing so was it just pressed on?

Help!

Sorry Paul, I have never removed a gearstick, so I'm afraid I just don't know. The Getrag fits in and out with the stick still attached.

surely you can clean it up as fitted with autosol or suchlike?

Hi, to remove the gear stick there is a wire spring circlip in the bottom of the stick, this needs to be un clipped then there should be a washer with two cut outs that need to be aligned with two luggs on the stub and then the rubber bush. not the best description but I hope it help.

Regards Dan

NB, why is it you want to swap from the ford 4 speed box?

It's a good box with the nicest change of any of the variants (imho). Is it just that you want the longer legs of the fifth gear?

First off thanks for a very nice reply (although I had trouble seeing the pic).

Well the reason to change it that when it comes to sell it's probably nice point selling wise to have the five speed. Secondly we want a overdrive low rev fith gear so we save fuel when going long distance. See we only drive classic cars. The most modern we have is a 89 XJS V12 which is also serving as my daily driver - As I think you know it's anything but frugal when it comes to fuel. The thought was to go Elite and get a frugality of the 4 cyl 16v engine with overdrive in a light car and still have loads of fun.

Cheers Dyna

• 4 years later...

Since I've trial fitted my getrag box before then engine goes in (I'm glad I did) I have just been puzzling over how to get the gear stick on with the box in situ since it looks impossible. Luckily Dunc provided the answer that it stays on the 'box and the whole lot installed with it on... 

Some photos just for completeness..

.DSC_0081.JPG.b3012f3ad2d933ec3804461e735

DSC_0080.JPG.c3fd3ab9280a2ec895ab93b4aba

DSC_0078.JPG.4b30a1dc2406b750b0fe1ae911a

The last photo shows the lack of room to do anything with the clevis pin once the gear stick is in place and the x2 forward bolts are inaccessible.

This would have been a real pain in the arse if I had just installed the engine and box:wallbash:

The knowledge on this forum is great... Thanks guys

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old post, baut anyway..

My gearstick has come apart, and all the parts are as described above. How do you re-install it again?

I am thinking about manufacturing an open sleeve to be placed underneath the gearstick - and then press from above.

The Real Stig Lotus Turbo Esprit, Lotus Elise S1, Lotus Elite, Lancia Delta, Jaguar XF ....Previous cars: Subaru SVX, Porsche 924 Turbo, Lotus Eclat Excel, Lotus Elite, Matra Murena 2,2, Fiat X1/9 5sp

If you have a getrag box then there is a pin that holds the gearstick mechanism onto the gearbox. This pin is secured by a circlip which is only accessible from the top. If the gearstick looks like the photos then it's an engine out job or massive cuts into the body.