free hit
counters
Petition for Classic car tax - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Petition for Classic car tax

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/183

Hi Everyone

Please can you view this link and sign if you wish, this gent is trying to get 100,000 signatures using the Goverment epetition scheme to re-introduce the 30 year tax excempt policy for historic cars, with the help of clubs and forums hopefully the subject can be raised in the House of commons as the scheme should never have been capped at pre 1973 cars. Most classics are only used as second or third vehicles so don't use the roads like everyday cars making the current tax system unfair.

He currently has 9278 so needs as much help as possible.

Many Thanks

Dave

Do or do not, there is no try! 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Done :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I thought that too when I read the link but could not be sure, still a good petition to support though... :cheers:

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/2622

Here is another link started with less signatures and does state 25 years.

Do or do not, there is no try! 

Had already signed up a while back. Disappointing to see its not yet made 10k sigs !

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

Personally I'm against it.

The reason being that there are rules in the offing in Europe that limit use and modification of classics.

Only period mods and in some countries historics are excluded from city centres.

I for one use a classic daily, my 1980 Porsche 924 Turbo, and I don't want any thing to change that.

The reason I believe that the rolling 25/30 year restriction was stopped was that cars from 1972 are mostly rubbish

From the 80's onwards they got a lot more usable, reliable, robust and comfortable.

Lotus Esprit S4 - Work in progress

Porsche 924 Turbo - Parts chaser

Smart Roadster Coupe - Hers

No other reason to stop the rolling exemption than financial. I recall that when that oik Blair got in, he took all sorts of measures to enhance the finances....raiding all the pensions schemes was a biggie. I've signed several of these petitions, as well, but hold out little hope....you can't produce a logical argument that makes sense given the current predicament; the elected dictatorship just want as much money as it can get, to continue to bail out their friends the *ankers who got us here in the first place. Then they get nice jobs as (non-executive) directors after they lose their seats......

Cynical, moi?!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

I did hear that there was a back door motion to force/scrap all cars over 10 years, not sure how that would work with classic cars as its a big money earner and a lot of well off influential people are into cars..

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Rather than tying to force people to scrap their old cars there was one of those many "stimulus" packages around here a few years ago to entice you to trade in your gas guzzler heap. The car had to be scrapped upon trade in (dealer could not re-sell) and I seem to remember while any running piece of junk would do, seeing a picture of lots of decent cars piled up. Of course the car companies loved the handout and not sure how many people actually took advantage of it (hardly was doing that with my 2007 daily driver in 2009 so it was a case of selective charity and most would never benefit, but rather pay for the few who did)

cashforclunkers_3.jpg

Same happened in the UK. Ended up with whole disused airfields covered in perfectly serviceable vehicles, all of which were destined for the crusher, at Lord only knows what impact on the environment.....mad.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

The mainstream politicians love to portray these scrappage schemes as "Green" when the Green Party itself is utterly against scrapping old cars. The simple reason is; it is more damaging to the environment to make a new car than to keep an old `un on the road , to say nothing of the extra employment for mechanics and restorers it brings.

• 2 weeks later...

Another stupid thing with the scrappage scheme was scrapping perfectly good cars that were far more green than a lot of cars stil on the road. Offering them to people for the scrap value in exchange for a less green vehicle would have made far more sense! It was clearly just an excecise to boost new car sales rather than help the environment

Seems this is one of the few things the Norwegian authorities have got more right than the British. We have a 30 year rolling tax excemption. And this also goes for the psycedellic import tax; when the car is 30 years old you only pay VAT on the purchase price when immporting a car.

The other end of the bargain:

A Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 is supposed to cost around £28 400 in a Chevrolet shop in the US. In Sweden the price is around £35 000 - and of this £ 7000 is purchase tax / VAT. In Norway this car would have a price tag of £186 800. Of which £142 800 is purchace tax and VAT. We don't have many of those on Norwegian license plates...

But a 30-year old one would be "free" smile.png