free hit
counters
What's your speed? - Page 4 - Technology & Gaming - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

What's your speed?

oneshot

• 3 months later...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

.3626402418.png

I guess I can't complain (though I would love to). :huh:

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

• 1 year later...

Being in a rural location our home broadband is shocking...

5420371674.png

so I have a 4G broadband box from EE but it's quite pricey (£28 for 32GB/month) which is not a lot of data allowance which I run out of after a couple of weeks if I'm lucky...

5420389516.png

so have to switch back to the dire home line. Our local exchange is fibre but because we're 2.2km from the closest FTTC cabinet we can't order fibre and BT is giving us no indication when it might happen. It's been like this for about a year now despite our council tax subsidising a 'Making Kent Faster' rural fibre rollout.

Does anyone know of any way to get more information from BT or another ISP as to when we'll actually get fibre? It's hard work when you spend all day, every day on the internet chatting about cars! 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM

I live on the top of a hill, in the middle of nowhere, in rural Perthshire and get this thanks to Fibre to the Cabinet and Plusnet who are superb!

5420434803.png

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM

You need to find someone on that exchange - as close as possible and in sight line - and then put a microwave link from them to you. You will be able to get the same speed as at the cabinet then.

Only here once

I'll pop down Malpins and pick one up once I've found a stranger 2km away who doesn't mind sharing their broadband :huh:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM

You can do it on a community level

thats how most do it. 

Fibre in - free to use link for the host site

then radio link out on a secure network to several remote sites who pay for the line and some profit etc......

its not a new idea @Bibs there are many many providers doing just this

We are rural and that's how we get 20mb down and up 

Only here once

Pop over with your multimeter and some electric rope then Barry, I'm confident you'll have us up and running in a day or two :)

• Like 1

Evora NA

• Gold FFM

I can bolt up the stuff - but would not have the first idea how to configure it .......

find a site - get half a dozen folks together and blitz it. You would be amazed how many folks have the very same problem as you. Or you could simply wait the few years or so and bt will get round to it - fibre is slowing rolling out in the sticks

Only here once

Live in the middle of nowhere, thankfully there is a BT exec round the corner and the local cabinet was therefore fibre enabled :)

5421124894.png

Was 0.5mb/s until then!

Oh and don't forget, and Ping is King!!

Providers are also key - 2 neighbours here, one on Sky, one on BT neither paying a lot. both on the same grading as us and are lucky to get 8Mb/s. 

Lotus Register - https://www.lotusregister.com

5421249548.png

I also live in the middle of nowhere on top of a hill - but sadly I'm paying a high (broadband speed) price for that advantage!  Obviously less than one meg isn't really broadband at all and rules out using my "smart" TVs for anything other than live viewing.  I'm 7 miles from the exchange which is apparently beyond the design limit for it to work at all - but the exchange doesn't offer fibre broadband yet, let alone the "local" box - which is about 500 meters away. 

However, there is a local initiative to get a set up along the lines that Barry's talking about.  They say that the local pub (about 1000 meters away) has a fast signal.  (I don't understand how they can have since they come off the same exchange and local box as us).  Nevertheless the initiative is to put a microwave link from them to the bottom of the hill, and then distribute from there.  I'm told it needs line of sight.  We can see about 50 miles with a good pair of bins, but we have no line of sight with anywhere within 3 miles due to the trees, so that may well rule us out.   I have applied for, and been given, a voucher for £500 to get this set up if its available to us.  Another frustration is that I watched the Openreach guys put in the fibre trunk between Crewkerne and Chard alongside our land a couple of years ago...but I'll obviously get no access to that.   I believe that BT "must" fibre the exchange by either 2017 or 2020 (depending who you ask), but the Gov has now backed down on making them distribute it to all addresses so its likely that I'll never get it.  Booo Hiss!

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

• Gold FFM

It's a bit sloooow tonight

image.jpeg

@MPx it's worth persevering with - if your on top of the hill you could be the very site to distribute the signal.

the local pub may have a good signal - 1000m on thin knackered old copper pair wires isn't good for broadband speeds - speed and signal degrades rapidly. Have a look around - there are lots of small providers whom may help.

if you can get enough of the vouchers in your local area you may make it more appealing to the bigger smaller providers. If you have small business units or estates they get £3k vouchers if I'm remembering correctly - it doesn't take too many of them to make it and appealing proposition. I certainly cabled up a local business unit with about 30 connection points - I think that was a good project for the company I installed it for

Only here once

It's over 300 Mb/s for downloads at my fiancée's in northern Manhattan. Just crazy fast. The one I posted above is from my mother's place in Queens...ya know, where Donald Trump is from and which we all try to deny.  

1983 "Investor's Special Edition" Turbo Esprit (#43/50) | 2012 Evora S

• 1 month later...

Just switched over to BT Superfast broadband - what a complete and utter disaster. The switch over went faultlessly except they decided not to port our number over so all of a sudden no phone calls and no-one able to contact us. Chased up and basically was told it was my fault. Eventually was told it would be switched back after I pointed out the stupidity of their argument but it would take 72 hours before they could do anything - so more people unable to get us. Eventually got them to arrange to swap it back to the original number but they gave us yet another number! so even the people we told of the temporary new number weren't able to get hold of us. After more (starting to get heated) phone calls they agreed they had stuffed up and changed it again within 24hrs. During all this I was getting regular phone calls from India asking how well they had done! (was actually rude to them at one point, not something I usually do)- Oh and amongst all that they had completely mucked up the billing as even BT could not keep up with the changes along with other problems. All this took over 2 weeks to resolve.

And as for Broadband speed we were promised 30-40Mb but we are getting 12-13Mb from the test socket - now awaiting an engineer who we have been told will bill us £124.00 plus VAT if he thinks the slow speed is our fault. I am just going into the attic to look for my baseball bat in case he needs convincing its not our fault.

In all good faith I do not think I could ever recommend BT :no

Not that dissimilar to my experience.

You-ll be able to get 30-40Mbps (think it was  times what I was getting at the time) . No that's what the line test gives not just the book speed. OK

Agreed to have it, but got confirmation that if speed not achieved I can simply request back to old one for no charge.

Change happened, no different to old speed but costing my 2x as much, so called them. No, you cannot back it out until we've sent an engineer to sort it. I reluctantly agree to engineer visit (no mention of any charge). Engineer comes, achieves nothing but says it's as good as it's going to get. Call BT, well it will cost me the whole of he contract to change back, lots of reading from script and no comprehension of what I or they are saying. Eventually got to the disconnections team, who actually sorted it back to original service. 

Then found out I'd been charged for the engineer visit that I'd been blackmailed into, so another call to complain.

I am getting a bit worried now, hopefully we won't get a bill. Anyway I should look the part of a menacing customer as after a little accident on the farm last week my face is a little swollen and covered with stitched up cuts, just need to find the baseball bat now :vava:.

• Gold FFM

I'm no longer with bt - all our stuff is over a rural broadband microwave link. It's great but does crash now and again.

the best thing I ever did was cut the by wire off the house and throw it into the road. It appears it was that causing the damp in the bathroom.

i had the same issues with them - they told me I was on a 12 month notice contract - if been with them for 10 years and never had anything free off them. I made a payment for the last months line rental and cancelled my direct debit. The problems I had with them was amazing - I asked to speak to their legal department who were chasing the debt at one point and educated them !! Bt - I will never use them ever ever ever again. 

Only here once

mmm - probably going to cancel the engineer and try and cancel the contract with BT - already have a complaint in with them but not expecting it to go anywhere. I am really fed up with spending my days trying to phone BT - it was almost an hour on hold this morning to get to Tech Support.