free hit
counters
What's your speed? - Page 6 - Technology & Gaming - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

What's your speed?

We were upgraded from copper to fibre at no extra charge early last march and became unlimited (just in time for lockdown). They were moving everyone off copper connections. But our fibre cabinet is over 1 mile away.  So the old overhead cables are the same from the cabinet. Our copper speed was up to 2.2   and now on fibre it varies from 1.9 to 3.0 at the moment its 2.275. So I suppose that is why they could not charge anymore.  We are at the end of the phone line - the last telegraph pole is in next doors garden. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Now with go faster stripes! BT Infinity 2 if anyone cares

Pop over with your multimeter and some electric rope then Barry, I'm confident you'll have us up and running in a day or two

Rural microwave broadband..... unlimited use and it's free...... mainly as we are a microsite for others   And we are in the middle of bloody nowhere

Posted Images

• Gold FFM

I live in the middle of nowhere several miles from my exchange on the top of some hills.

My broadband is rubbish obviously!

image.png.f96b6301f8f7b44fb466da447c5b5d57.png

But then the wife was streaming and casting to the TV, and the son was watching a Netflix series, and I was working with my VPN.  Usually it is about 55-65Mbps :whistle:

image.png

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

You may have a problem on your line, we are on fibre to the cabinet as well and should get 30 Mbps plus but in reality get about 16 (we used to get around 24Mbps). Our supplier has told us that we can raise a call against it for them to find out why. I haven't done yet as I will be rewiring the internal phone wiring later this year and they state they will bill us for any work if the problem is deemed as internal to the house. It doesn't help that the builders keep unearthing the phone external phone cable as it is only inches under the surface.

Have you contacted your supplier to query your speed because if they don't meet the required speed levels they have to fix it for you.

Oh and we just over a mile from the cabinet.

14 hours ago, Bibs said:

Just been offered to join the Starlink Beta. Err, you can keep that thanks Elon! 

Opera Snapshot_2021-02-23_173406_www.starlink.com.png

Beggars and choosers matey.  If you were still on a 1mb link (on a good day) for £15/mth as we are then 6 times more money for 100 times speed seems not such a bad deal.  I paid my deposit yesterday - but they say maybe 6 months 'til I get it.

On a related point I'm a bit concerned about the stats being used by the Gov (as ever!).  I got my annual review with Zen last month and they class me as having a 10Mb service.  If that's how its reported on up the line then no wonder so much of the country is claimed to have acceptable broadband.  I got Zen to check and their tests showed that 1Mb was right - no apologies of course...not their fault I know, its the best you can get over 7 miles of copper.  But I still pay for and am classed as having an average 10Mb service despite the change in the law about what they are supposed to be able to claim.

• Confused 1

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

• Gold FFM
14 hours ago, march said:

I haven't done yet as I will be rewiring the internal phone wiring later this year

Ensure you have the latest type of master socket. And do not have any extensions whatsoever. Old masters and multiple sockets reduce line speeds dramatically.

Only here once

This is all going to change after 2025 when BT switch off the analogue PSTN. Everything will switch to digital VOIP etc. This means that ADSL (which requires an analogue phone line) will no longer work. You will still have a cable to your house but it won't carry a phone line. Instead they will be running digital signals over it with a different signalling system to achieve the broadband connection.

Dave - 2000 Sport 350
  • 1 month later...
  • Gold FFM
On 24/02/2021 at 16:18, march said:

I haven't done yet as I will be rewiring the internal phone wiring later this year

Don't spend too much doing it unless you are IP enabling the wires as remember the old analog network is going in a few years...

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Home Internet speed Fibre Plus £40 per month

speedtest6.jpg

However if I use one remote desktop method to works network

speedtest wvd 7.jpg

Or, if I use a different remote desktop method to Works network.

speedtest horizon 8.jpg

The last method won't allow me to use Speedtest.net due to firewall restrictions.

My home Internet connection is frustrating as 3 or 4 times per year the performance really drops off due to a fault in the cabinet or exchange.

When the current contract runs out I am thinking of changing to a 4G / 5G mifi router and doing away with the landline.

For the last year all our home broadband has been from an unlimited 4G contract from Smarty (part of the Three network) for £20 per month. (using phone as a Hotspot)

Its been very reliable and good enough for remote working and concurrent HD streaming to several devices.    It also gives continuous coverage when we have had opportunity to travel between the NE and NW. 

Just got 28mb download and 21mb upload from this laptop, but didn't bother switching off the TV box or stopping daughter from streaming YT.

Edited by 910Esprit
  • Like 1