free hit
counters
Insurance & "Approved Repairers" clauses - Lotus Insurance - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Insurance & "Approved Repairers" clauses

Beady

Just renewed my insurance on Evora.

New company this year and having read all the small print it contains the following clauses:

1. All repairs done by the insurance companies "Approved Repairer" only (they have said this is unlikely to be lotus approved repaired)

2. If you chose to used another repairer, the insurer will only pay the costs that their approved repairer would have charged - not a penny more. You have to pay the full amount of any difference.

3. Approved repairer may use non original parts at their discretion.

I intend to cancel and try to find another insurer that doesn't have such draconian terms.

My question is -

are these terms enforceable?

Could you accept the insurance and challenge the clauses later as being unfair?

Does anyone have any experience of this?

Perhaps this is fine on your old runabout but in a 40k, 2 yr old vehicle?

construction and property consultants : My company

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm fairly certain that it's your legal right to have your car repaired at a garage of your choosing, it's not up to the insurance company.

They would otherwise pick the cheapest garage they could which would be unfair on you, scale this up to a £1m car for example... you'd not allow a £25/hour fred in a shed fix it no matter what the insurers tried to pull.

Ring these people tomorrow and ask them - http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/contact/index.html

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

They could counter argue that the approved repairer is competent and cite that as being the reasonable cost of the repair and so any cost in excess of that is a choice for the owner to pay.

At least you should have the 14 days cooling off period so only have to pay a brokerage fee and not an early cancellation fee IIRC.

it is fairly standard from what i recall. As Andy states provided the work is carried out but an insurance approved repairer, which I think are inspected/accredited to provide a competent level of repair. At the end of the day the insurance is there to repair the car to the condition it was in before the accident it doesn't matter who does it as long as the standard is acceptable. If you wish to pay the difference for a preferred workshop you have the option of doing so, if you are bothered about it, the extra few hundred quid would be worth it in the event.

if you are not happy, then change within the period as has been mentioned. I don't think they can discriminate if they price is the same, but i'm not sure.

If its a non-fault claim it is usually your choice where to go. Usually a bit more tricky if you've crashed your own car.

The whole point of insurance is that the car should be reinstated to its pre-accident condition so I would contest the use of non-genuine parts as they are generally considered to be of a lesser quality.

I have a feeling that they are doing this in order to stop unscrupulous people from having their cars repaired by friends or even family and rooking the insurance companies. I know that this scam has cost insurance companies dearly in the past.

• 2 weeks later...

An update-

I have cancelled the insurance based on the restrictive repair clause.

New insurance policy says they have a network of approved repairers but you may use an alternative of your choice (no other restrictions)

The new insurance cost a bit more but worth it in my opinion as a non main dealer repair would devalue the car by more.

Check your insurance!

construction and property consultants : My company

PS Full forum members get discounts at 6 insurers, would have been worth the £20 as most offer 10% discount, I'm sure you're paying more than £200... :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Ive only used the so called approved repairers once years ago..after id sent the car back for the third time the insurance agreed to have it done somewhere of my choosing all over again. Since then ive never touched them. Ive worked in that industry too when I was at Mercedes...so I know why not to use them! You will at worst loose the right to have a replacement vehicle while yours is being repaired, but as most of us use these as second cars its not the end of the world.also, as far as I know up to a certain age of vehicle, repairers have to use genuine parts regardless. So a ten year old mondeo would have acceptable aftermarket parts, a fairly new any car up to I think 5 or 6 years has to have genuine. Dont forget also that the manufacturers warranty on bodywork etc is longer than their mechanical, 8 years sometime...and so any use of non genuine parts will invalidate that which is in no ones interest...

I had that sort of fun with approved repairers, and previously one of my (in hind sight, stupid) choice.

Approved repairer, when I was in my early 20s (no, not a Model T), I ran into the back of somebody, damaged bumper wing etc, the repairer had it 4 times before it was due to go back to them again and I had somebody hit my car at the front. The repairer had left filler showing, 80 grit marks in the filler showing through paint etc.

My choice was a few years later, somebody hit the rear of my 406, again several repairs later and the car was still the wrong width and so bumper not fitting and leaking elsewhere. Eventually the insurance assessor gave them an ultimatum to get it right, the failed again and they agreed (after he twisted their arm) to pay for another repairer to do the job. Eventually (year or two later) found the leak was the rear screen not having a continuous run of adhesive where they'd had it out for the repair.

A few years later there were issues with another approved repairer who fitted the wrong bumper, argued with me it was right, then argued it's not their fault and it would have to stay on as they'd painted it so couldn't return it. The clever person explained they had another one of that model and trim in so he could show it was the right one, so a few yards walk later he accepted the exhaust that was touching the inside of the bumper should be coming through the cut-away section that this bumper didn't have.

So, approved or not, main dealer or not, they can and do get it wrong.