free hit
counters
cant do any harm... right? (oil) - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

cant do any harm... right? (oil)

darkcat

Right so ive finally got round to changing the horrible tar that is an excuse for oil im the esprit.

The previous owner had this car for 10 years, and basically never used it (its only done 48k)

Im going to assume that he never changed the oil ether as its not nice.....

SO! when i had the cam covers off last month to paint them and re-seal them, i noted that there was a signifficant amount of oil still in them at rest, ITR of a litre.

This got me thinking, when i do do an oil change it'll only be partial as there is also a good deal of oil in the oil cooler.

questions:

1: Is there an optimum position for the car to be in to get the most oil out? i assume with the left side jacked right up (i noted that the sump pluis on the right) and with the front higher than the back, i.e on the inclune down to my garage.??

2: i want to flush the system out a bit without spending a fortune on premium £12/litre oil.

I looked at flushing agents but it occurs to me that there will still be a good deal of that left in the engine due to not being able to fully flush it all out, and that CANT be a good thing...

So i have bought some "Good but cheap" oil - Mobil Super 1000 - 15w 50. i know its not fully synth but its a heck of a lot better than whats in there. i intend to drain the crap out, put that in, use it for a few miles, like to work and back, then drain and fill with decent stuff (plus aditive)

Good plan or not?

more importantly, the breif use of mobil super 1000 isnt going to cause immediate implosion of my engine is it?

note: I intend to have the engine rebuilt in the next year anyway, as its using a bit of water, no smoke at all though and passes emissions with flying colours.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about the Esprit engine in particular but I always use an oil flush agent in the Porsche, it really thins it down so put it in a hot engine and run it at 2k rpm (To keep the oil pressure up) for a few mins to circulate it.

I'd then swap it for cheap mineral oil, change the filter and run it again for a bit longer to circulate it.

Finally then put in your proper oil and new filter again.

That should sort it all out.

Lotus Esprit S4 - Work in progress

Porsche 924 Turbo - Parts chaser

Smart Roadster Coupe - Hers

I can't see a problem with your logic Peter. If the oil in the engine is as bad as you say, the use of new oil is certainly not going to cause any damage. I think your engine will love you for it.

If you do have any concern, why drive it? Do the oil change, start the car up and run it up to operating temp on your driveway a couple of times. No real load on the engine and you achieve what you are after, which is circulating the new oil around. I don't have my workshop manual with me at the moment. Where does the return from the oil coolers go to? Unless you can get the oil coolers above that level, you won't achieve anything by lifting the front.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

Sounds like a good plan to me! Remember that these engines were produced when Duckham's 20/50 was king - so modern oils have far better performance, no matter what they are. I'd be inclined to flush it through as you describe a few times before going to the final synthetic. A bit of a hassle, what with the associated filter changes, but would definitely be better then just replacing the existing oil. As for using coolant..depends on how much and how you arrive at that conclusion. These engines do seem to find their own level, as far as coolant is concerned, and then settle at that...and the coolant level stays constant. Topping right up can make you think that the engine is using coolant, when all it's doing is expelling slight excess from the overflow.

I would recommend driving it....ideally to the point where the oil cooler thermostat opens...that way you'll get the oil out of the oil cooler, too. You are not going to damage the engine using the oil you suggest.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

If I just read the Mobil site correctly Mobil Super 1000 - 15w 50 meets or exceeds SN wear inhibition requirements, I'm sure these engines were built to use SF or similar (originally) so whether fully synthetic or not doesn't matter. that Good but cheap" oil looks to be way above Lotus's original requirements so good for the job.

Old engine, flat followers, whatever oil you use, check it has a higher content of ZDDP than the others.

Zinc dithiophosphate, ZDDP, is good for engines but bad for catalytic converters. Over the years it has quietly been reduced and removed from oils.

Edited by DanR

DanR

If you do have any concern, why drive it? Do the oil change, start the car up and run it up to operating temp on your driveway a couple of times.

I agree, the only thing I would add is put a cheap filter on (they're only a tenner) while you're circulating the cheap stuff & then replace it with the proper Lotus item when you pour the expensive synthetic stuff in.thumbup.gif

Cheers,

John W

http://jonwatkins.co.uk

I wouldn't use a flushing oil - I believe they contain abrasives.

A good quality non-synthetic oil will do the trick. All new oils contain detergents to help remove crud. And I wouldn't scrimp on a cheap filter either, even though you're only using it for a short time - your engine won't thank-you for it.

Then as mentioned previously, do your final fill with a good synthetic.

The Wynn's oil flush I use is an additive, it's a solvent type stuff, you chuck it into the current oil to thin it down.

Thats correct - however there is over 1l of oil left in the car when you drain it. so there will be 1/6th of a can of that going round your system after the oil change.... which cant be a good thing surely

That is why you follow it with cheap oil then change again.

Not done it on the Esprit to be fair, I do it on the Porsche and the oil cooler lines are much shorter!

Lotus Esprit S4 - Work in progress

Porsche 924 Turbo - Parts chaser

Smart Roadster Coupe - Hers