free hit
counters
Starts without clutch? - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Starts without clutch?

I had my '03 Esprit serviced recently and now it can start without pressing the clutch. Anyone have any ideas as to why it's doing this?

'03.5 Final Edition Esprit ~ 5.7lbs/hp

mildly modded - 430rwhp, 353rwtq

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had my '03 Esprit serviced recently and now it can start without pressing the clutch. Anyone have any ideas as to why it's doing this?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why wouldn't it?! All the cars i've ever owned have started without the clutch pressed!

Why wouldn't it?! All the cars i've ever owned have started without the clutch pressed!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Really? Maybe it's a US thing. Most cars here have a safety switch so they won't start without the clutch being pressed..

Really? Maybe it's a US thing. Most cars here have a safety switch so they won't start without the clutch being pressed..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's useful to know if I ever rent a "stick shift" in the US!

In the UK, a neat trick to move a car that won't run is to stick it in gear and drive it on the starter motor for a few yards to get off the carraigeway!

FWIW I've never had to press the clutch in to start on any US V8 I've driven .....

Edited by fmxa
Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

That's useful to know if I ever rent a "stick shift" in the US!

In the UK, a neat trick to move a car that won't run is to stick it in gear and drive it on the starter motor for a few yards to get off the carraigeway!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is how i drove my esprit up onto the flat bed when she broke down the last time...

Shah

My Beautiful Car http://www.glcforum.com/ukesprit/forums/in...CODE=12&CID=182

ribbon200.gifProud to be a G-car ownerribbon200.gif

FWIW I've never had to press the clutch in to start on any US V8 I've driven .....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh really? :blink: Maybe I was thinking about another car. :)

Nevernind then. :)

yes it's very useful :blink:

I read your post and assumed that V8s were different because I'm almost sure there is a law about that so you can't accidentally start your car into someone, similar to how automatic transmissions don't start in gear. Thought I start mine in neutral with the clutch up... dunno, just like that better.

Slade

"It's called a fire hydrant. Firemen like to stick their hose in it, and eventually squirt water from it."

Owner of 86 TE HCI, and 55 Chevy. Stare at broken down TR7

On the Citroen DS19, my understanding is that the way you started it was to move the column-mounted gearshift lever all the way to the left; this activated the starter motor and guaranteed that you wouldn't be in gear when the engine started.

Do UK Esprits have a steering wheel lock? That is, when the ignition key is removed, will the steering wheel lock if it's nudged off center? I *hate* that misfeature. US cars have this, ostensibly to prevent theft. Fat lot of good that does. A few years ago there was an issue with new Corvettes having their steering lock while at speed. That must've been exciting...

As to the original question: apparently the interlock switch is not functioning or is somehow fooled into thinking the clutch is depressed.

-Dave

Edited by mr50bmg

All Cows Eat Grass