free hit
counters
Gear knob DIY £1 vs £140! - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Gear knob DIY £1 vs £140!

Look at the price of this!!!

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item519bc1aab4

So.....guess what I'm going to do?

2011-11-14185337.jpg

These are 50mm turned Birch and were about £1 each or so. I have a spare gearknob that I will remove the fitting and give them a go.

I'll try one plain, just varnished and try carefully cutting a gear layout pattern in another to be filled with black resin/wax before varnishing.

Any tips on how to bring out the best in the wood?

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I saw that eBay ad. too...I hope nobody buys it for that ridiculous price. Seller seems to be a right chancer...as you say, the £1 and a bit of ingenuity option is a much better bet. If the old one has broken, it could be glued back together again...or you could use the cast inset from the old one and transplant it into a new one! A bit of a p*sstake, I thought...

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Any tips on how to bring out the best in the wood?

GIve it a few coats of a spirit based wood stain and then once youve put the 7mm fitting in the bottom either spin it in a drill and appy/ polish with a hard wax or a varnish. Or Rustins do a hard laquer finish which gives a very shiny surface called plastic coating http://www.rustins.e...p?ProductID=857 . Ive used it on a dash ( which is obviously flat so may be easier to do). The surface comes out almost as good as the polyester used on pianos but thats not a diy apply job.

Just make sure the stain and laquer are compatable.

Edited by mdw

I saw this ad as well,I am glad I am not the only one that thinks that is a disgusting price. Hopefully mine will be ok after a bit of TLC. Good luck with your knob slewthy! Be good to see your finished article.

Really? £140 - incredible.

It is possible to buy gear layout inserts, including those with O/D so thats another option.

I think I'll just start by getting a good finish on one. I'll post up my results as suggested.

no more knob jokes

at all

please

I bought a good used one from the US (SportsCarWorld) because I was unwilling to pay the stupid money they seem to fetch here. I think I paid $25.

Paul.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Anyone paying £140 for a gearknob wants their brain testing. Or finding in the first place....! Think of what you can get for £140. A case of champagne. A new competition clutch friction plate is only £130ish. All the spanners you will ever need would cost less than that. Madness, I tell you, madness!!!!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Here we go.

2011-11-15140417.jpg

The thread on mine is 8mm - later '86 which is generally handy.

Drilled out a 19mm hole for the nut thing which has....spline things.

Nice tight fit using a press.

2011-11-15144044.jpg

Now easy to spin on a drill for finishing.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, here is my first effort.

2011-11-28221616.jpg

Its rosewood stain followed by 3 coats of ultrahard varnish. Inbetween each coat, I spun it on the drill and sanded with fine paper.

Now, its nice and smooth and has a lovely tactile finish to it.

Cant wait to have a car to screw it onto!

Thanks Andy. This is 50mm which feels about right.

I hunted the house for my kids toys - amazing the variety of size spheres I found and could test!

There is a guy on ebay (actually lives quite close to me it turns out) who sells wooden balls of a variety of sizes and could probably turn out any size if asked.

I'm pleased with this and it has been just what I needed right now - something small I could get really good to give me some more incentive to continue with the main project.

• 1 year later...

Well, this is on ebay atm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOTUS-ELAN-2-GEAR-LEVER-KNOB-5-SPEED-/181178031791?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2a2f0d5eaf

Currently at £27 at 2 days to go. Not sure if it would fit the S1 though.

Mine looks better though! Oh, and 2000 miles on and not a scratch. Its very tactile - I find my passengers holding my knob at every opportunity...

• Gold FFM

I'm seriously interested in making these in various exotic woods. Does anyone have an old one I can borrow for a pattern?

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

I'm seriously interested in making these in various exotic woods. Does anyone have an old one I can borrow for a pattern?

Not if they can sell them for £140!!

Have you not been struggling to get wood recently Sparky?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM

I've been trying to get decent wood for months.  Not like it used to be.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.