free hit
counters
Squeaky brakes? - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

I have a 1999 Esprit V8 with squeaky brakes, and the manual does say this is actually normal. I have the stock Brembo calipers.

What can I apply to get rid of the squeakiness? I have heard WD-40 may work?

thanks!

Matt

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I always found with squeaky brakes that giving the pads a good clean and removing the glaze always seemed to help them. You could also check whether the thin metal plates that back the brake pads are there. I have seen lots of cars with them missing.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Do they squeak hot or cold, when applied, all the time ? like Michael says, do you have the correct shims, (they can loose tension when overheated)

The calipers mat be standard, but what pad material are you using ?

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Have you got Copper slip on the BACKS of the pads?

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

FWIW, I think that WD-40 on the brake pads or rotors would be extremely dangerous!

WD-40 is a lubricant, and your brakes are designed to create friction. Yes, you might eliminate the noise, but you might also increase your stopping distance to something very unsafe.

Just my guess though - haven't tried it. :)

Some say that MINTEX CERATEC ANTI BRAKE SQUEAL LUBRICANT is better than copper grease. haven't tried it yet as I haven't encountered a situation where I couldn't get rid of the squeal, but then I don't have V8 Brmbos

No WD-40!

The Mintex stuff that Andy linked would work.

Or I use http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-24125-Ceramic-Extreme-Lubricant/dp/B0018PSASU

good up to 3000 Deg F! ;)

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

basic questions -

..the Brembo Front calipers use something like pree tension 'steel plate inserts' on the aluminium calipers inside where the pads are placed into, to support the leading edges of the pads, are those still there in your calipers ..?

..the Brembo front calippers also use a pre load flat spring plate to hold the pads in position, this there in the same place where the fixing bolds go along.

..most OEM pads for Brembo calippers do have (as already mentioned before..) some additional (it is a different material than the base plate) type backing plate on the brakepad itself (on the big flat side face, where it is in contact with the calipper pistons) ...what is on your pads ?

(if there is no such thing, and it is just an overall equal steel plate of 3-4mm with the friction material on top, you can of course already use one of those mentioned 'high temperature grease' on the rear face, where the pad is in contact with the pistion ..and on the smaller leading edges of this pad (where it is guided in the 'pat slot') too.. .

But be carefull, don't use to much ..as even the high temperature substances can change viscosity and run off under higher temperatures, and therefore can contaminate the friction surface or 'front face' of the pad (where it is in contact with the brake disc) -always keep this side as clean as possible if you carry out some work there !

..other thing to check:

-is the disc overheated (blue colored), so that it is not centered or does 'run out' bejont factory specification ..? This would create unequal forces under light braking pressure -where the pads do not have full contact, especially with higher running speeds -as the high rpm of the wheel turning around, and therefore the brakedisc too would create an high-frequency sound than.

So check for run out and use some sanding on the main surfaces - the surfaces where the pads have contact with the disc.

(if you are there, you use some extra time to and undo the calippers, after that the disc and check mounting faces on the hub and disc for rust contamination causing outline positions too..!)

...you can 'resurface' / reuse pads with glazing in an easy way -just by rubbing them flat over an concrete workshop floor. But do it only with slight pressure, as on the other way you could damage the pre set surface 'flatness'/ angle of the pad face on the hard and abrasive concrete.

...most quality pads have a 'cut off' edge on the outside ends of the friction side of the pad, and a cut in the middle of the friction face side. reshape the 'cut off' on the edges with a small file, if there is already enough material left, and use a screwdriver, small file or even a saw-blade to clean the cut in the middle (mostly it is covered with dirt and brake dust and not really working as it should on older cars/pads long in use...)

for the rear Brembo it is mainly as written for the front ones -difference is only that the pads have an additional clamping wire type spring that holds them in place (instead of the flat spring plate like in the front caliper)..and this spring is secured by one bold each side. So if this is not there any longer your pads can jump around in the calipper on rough roads ..and maybe even make some more odd knocks or noise/high frequency sounds under light brake pressures.

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..