free hit
counters
Cat D question - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Can anyone help me with a question on a Cat D listed car?

I am thinking of buying a new motor to replace the workhorse mondeo and a car quoted as Cat D has come up at a suitably attractive price. I know that this means its meant to be cosmetic damage repared by the insurance company, but how bad is it likely to be? and what are the implications to me getting it insured, selling it on etc etc.

According to the dealer, it drives like new and looks great, but he would say that wouldn't he?

Twitter @radioRedwards

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It strikes me that if they were all as good as they pretend why would they all be so cheap? surely if its fixed correctly they are as good as before, or is it that there is some fear about having a previously damaged car? hmmm cars eh? why do we do it to ourselves?

Twitter @radioRedwards

Take an Esprit, say one which was new in 2000 at a RRP of close to £60k. Now if this had a decent off which required less than £40k to repair it, it would be repaired and £40k's worth of damage can be a lot of broken bits. Much more and it becomes a Cat D but up to that limit (which on an Esprit is c66% of the value of the car due to high salvage worth) it'll be fixed.

Fast forward to that car now, worth £15k. A £10k or more repair means Cat D so it may have had a £30k repair in the past with no record kept but £10k now (very easy bill to achieve on an Esprit) means it's written off.

That's why Cat D means eff all, in my opinion.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I own a cat D car and its no different to insure than any other car; in fact my insurance company weren't in the least interested when I told them.

I bought it at less than market value and I expect to sell it for less but I've got a car I wanted for a great price.

A cat D car does not need to be inspected (known as a VIC check) . Its also worth noting that the VIC check is NOT interested in how well the car has been repaired, its only interested in proving its identity.

:)

It's getting there......

I've had a Cat D Alfa - It suffered water damage when almost new in a flood. The car was dried out and had all fluids changed and was absolutely perfect - no marks nothing. I bought it when it was only 10 months old at an unbelievable price over new. Used for a couple a years and sold on - It did affect resale price but when I paid so little for it I was not too concerned. Insurance were fine. I guess there is a risk but I tracked the first owner from new before buying and he confirmed the history - He was insured so it was replaced with a brand new like for like car. Not sure if I would do it for an accident damaged car but I was smiling like a cheshire cat when I drove it home for the first time....

Mate of mine buys cat D's regularly, does the work and sells them on for a profit (no his name is not Mike Brewer). You would be surprised how little damage makes a car a cat D. He is currently using an Audi A4 with all the bells and whistles which he got when it was less than a year old, all that was wrong with it was knackered front bumper, headlight, and some very light damage to the wing, no mechanical, no suspension damage. It was a Cat D because to be on the safe side when the repair estimate was done they included the rad and all ancillaries but they were fine! Think he paid 11K for it. Worth checking with insurance companies though before you go ahead, and always remember your are legally obliged to declare it was a write off when you sell it.

The other point to mention is that if you buy one and then write it off yourself or it is stolen then you get the amount you get back reflects that it was a Cat D car.

Insurers will check so if you don't disclose it being a Cat D they will find out and adjust any payout anyway.