free hit
counters
Annoying issue with 2011 IPS - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Squadra T

Annoying issue with 2011 IPS

Hi,

One of the issues we have with our new Evora IPS 2011 is a problem when shifting back from 3 to 2.

When shifting manually in sports mode, and doing the kind of shift back from 3 to 2 where you will rev fairly high when in 2nd, the box just goes in neutral and shows an error, engine rpm goes back to 1000rpm, the gas pedal no longer responds and we're stuck in neutral. This is pretty dangerous because the car is uncontrollable in terms of speed at this point...

Remedy: shut down the engine and restart the engine.

Not very pleasing, aspecially for a sports car...

We took the car in and dealer re-installed the latest software, but that didn't help.

Now he says someone from Lotus UK will have to come over to Belgium to fix the problem.

Anyone had a similar experience? How fast and reliable is Lotus when you have an issue that requires an engineer from Hethel to come over?

Thanks!

- Tom Asselman

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

A friend of mine had a issue on a Elise gearbox. A lotus engineer had to come over to France to analyze the matter. In fact, the Lotus engineer decided to change the Gearbox. In your case, I think you can not solve a problem of automatic gearbox without disassembly.

The best to get information about the U660E gearbox, you post your question on an american Lexus/Toyota Forum. I'm sure you will find something interesting, a link example :

http://www.clublexus...ssion-tsib.html

http://www.toyotanat...um/t193519.html

I spend some times to study this gearbox, it's very modern but not as reliable as we can imagine .....

Could you give me the "Error" message ? Number references ?

Edited by Corsu

Thank you for the information Corsu.

There is no specific error message. On the gearshift indicator it shows an exclamation mark instead of the gear you are currently in, that's all.

I would think this is a software issue, as it only arises in manual mode?

Software won't allow it maybe to prevent an overspeed situation which could damage the box?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Ok, I read it. So, may be I'm wrong, It's even certain but i beleive that it's solenoid valve problem. The SL2 valve to be precise or something like that. Maybe you drive your car very sporting ? The manual says that Third gear is fixed in neutral position until the vehicle speed reaches a certain speed that enables the transaxle to be shifted. Nonetheless it could be a SL2 valve issue ? The dealer need to use the CAN VIM for accessing diagnostic data.

asl1-1690c4ef48.jpg

sl3-0bb126c243.jpg

sl4-64a2e59713.jpg

Have you the same problem "Drive" Mode selected ? (full automatic)

You also can read this document, start at page CH-41

http://www.transdeta.../U-250-U660.pdf

Great investigation :-)

It is definitely when I drive it sporty (so revving back from 3 to 2 at fairly high revs). I haven't had it in full auto mode, but that could be because when I drive sporty, I put it in manual. So I'll test that.

Maybe a stupid question (I'm a novice): this is all related to the Camry. But didn't Lotus write all the software for the gearbox from scratch?

Correct, the software is pretty much entirely in house from scratch and is being constantly improved.

I'd call aftersales for you to ask if they have a solution but if they're already sending an engineer there's little point.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

In fact, you can have any software, IPS is a automatic transmissions include the use of torque converters which lock up beyond a certain speed. It will never be as fast as a dual clutch transmission or as clever than dual clutch transmission. I think that it's a mistake to use it as an sequential gearbox.

In fact, you can have any software, IPS is a automatic transmissions include the use of torque converters which lock up beyond a certain speed. It will never be as fast as a dual clutch transmission or as clever than dual clutch transmission. I think that it's a mistake to use it as an sequential gearbox.

I see your point Cursu. But I guess Lotus had not that much choice to find a gearbox. They needed something that fits the layout of the Evora.

You really seem to be into this stuff. Are you an engineer yourself?

Hi,

They installed a software update on mine last week that fixed the problems. I hope it stays OK!

Thanks for sharing your experience,

Squadra T