free hit
counters
WTF - Wind turbines? - Page 2 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

WTF - Wind turbines?

Bibs

Wind is free.

I'm not so sure, if you put up enough wind generators to supply the grid (even just a local one) I have a suspision that you may affect the weather patterns, possibly local food produce.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We could end up in the middle of the Atlantic!!huh.png

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

I'm not so sure, if you put up enough wind generators to supply the grid (even just a local one) I have a suspision that you may affect the weather patterns, possibly local food produce.

Better get rid of the trees and hills then, oh and cities, factories, bridges...

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I wonder how long an average wind turbine would take to recoup the energy taken to build it? That would have to include the mineral extraction, refining all the way to installation of course.

Still, think of all those green jobs.

Tell me, science gurus,

What is to stop solar arrays in space? Clear views of the sun, no cleaning.

I guess you would need an array of relay stations to ensure continual supply. Can microwaves be used to transmit energy?

I agree it would cost alot but once done, its done.

But maybe we shouldnt harvest solar energy that belongs in space. What if space became less......focused?

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

Can microwaves be used to transmit energy?

All waves are just energy so sure they can, just no idea on the efficiency once the energy is pumped through the atmosphere to a collection point. Imagine bringing more energy onto the planet too and it's effects on global warming, the greenies would be up in arms.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

But they payback would be burning less fossil fuel etc.

Or maybe its like girls and shoes/bags - never enough etc.

Well,I'm frozen.

I'm off tothe stove to burn some more fossil.....handbags.

Quite a lot has been done on the space based power concept...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space-based_solar_power

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

I wonder how long an average wind turbine would take to recoup the energy taken to build it? That would have to include the mineral extraction, refining all the way to installation of course.

I believe a few years ago it was quoted at 30 years of generating to pay for itself, build and installation, but they were more expensive then.

Of course they are only meant to be good for 25 at maximum before being torn down....though a recent report said they could only be good for 10 years before the gearboxes and moving parts need replacing....so....overall a total load of rubbish as no one really knows how long they will work, what they cost or how much before they are break even.

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

I've kept quiet on this one, but as I actually know more about it than anyone on this thread (or perhaps forum, or perhaps even the world?), I'm going to tell you what's actually going on.

Firstly, they are not 'Windmills' or 'Generators' of any kind.

The chilling truth is that they are in fact Propellers, not MAKING electricity but powered BY Electricity

Some time ago the Earth's rotating molten core started coming to a stop; without its movement, the electromagnetic field around the earth started to disappear and the earth started to stop spinning. This would eventually expose the surface of the earth unfiltered solar radiation and will incinerate anything or anyone exposed to it. Basically all the worst parts of the bible. Judgement day. Feel free to throw up, I know I did.

These propellers are actually making the world go round. And as the earth is a bit heavy they will sometimes buckle under the load, such is the case here.

:)

So what are all the treadmills in gyms for then? :huh:

Evora NA

Ever wonder why the front of lorries are flat and not very aerodynamic?

The front is a windbreak designed to create drag. This means that the huge amount of torque and power does not drive the lorry forward, instead it actually rolls the earth backwards.

Thats why lorries always point in the opposite directions to windmills.

I can quite see this, it explains why they have never continued development of the verticle take off plane, and why passenger planes are held just moment longer on the runway at maximum thrust, it's all to aid the rotation of the earth, It's all clear now.

So really all the greenies should be gratefull to us high powered sports car driver because out hard acceleration is helping too, and the police should be encoutaging us to acelerate harder and drive at higher speeds because this will help.

I'm going to talk to my local MP about this, we must start to reward speeding it's vital for the future of mankind.

Thanks for the enlightenment Paul.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

I've kept quiet on this one, but as I actually know more about it than anyone on this thread (or perhaps forum, or perhaps even the world?), I'm going to tell you what's actually going on.

Firstly, they are not 'Windmills' or 'Generators' of any kind.

The chilling truth is that they are in fact Propellers, not MAKING electricity but powered BY Electricity

Some time ago the Earth's rotating molten core started coming to a stop; without its movement, the electromagnetic field around the earth started to disappear and the earth started to stop spinning. This would eventually expose the surface of the earth unfiltered solar radiation and will incinerate anything or anyone exposed to it. Basically all the worst parts of the bible. Judgement day. Feel free to throw up, I know I did.

These propellers are actually making the world go round. And as the earth is a bit heavy they will sometimes buckle under the load, such is the case here.

smile.png

shock.gif I just threw up sick.gif

Kent monthly meet is the first Tuesday of the month at the Nevill Bull, Birling

OK,

I have had several PM's about the lorries going all in the same direction. Think about it guys eh? yes you DO see them on both sides of the motorway, BUT, are the ones going the other way in a forward gear? Eh?

EXACTLY

They knew this as far back as 1969 when JFK had the idea of the 'Sky Anchor' (later to be renamed 'Apollo'). The idea was to get a chain fixed to the lunar surface, then attach the other end to a big lorry (again) on the earth. The lorry drives forward to take the strain and then all the wheel movement goes toward earth rotation.

The project was scrapped when it was realised that once in place the chain would cut through the atmosphere like a big cheesewire and both halves of the atmosphere would then drop away like coconut halves, making it a bit hard to stay alive.

Stop me if I'm getting to technical.

ws_Earth__Moon_1024x768.jpg

No not at all, this is enlightening stuff, so many of my questions being answered. Was it trying to deploy the chain that caused the hole in ozone layer ?

OMG, I have an eco fan on the top of my stove.

Have I just bought in to this scheme? I'm turning it around immediately.

But, hang on, in the Superman film, when the earth was slowed down by the guy in pants, time slowed down (actually reversed in the end) so, I would be in favour of lots of lorries during the week but none over the weekend and on holidays or days when I'm off.

I could not believe this, but a pal of mine recently returned from a trip to the UK and took this photograph of these Solar Voltaic installations in England. He stayed at the one house and the owner said that during hours of sunlight they sell surplus electricity back to the power company and during the hours of darkness they take power off the grid. All in all these installations actually make money as they generate more than the home actually uses.

Each house has a meter showing exactly how much electricity is being generated and how much is being sold back to the power company with daily, monthly and even yearly totals.

during hours of sunlight they sell surplus electricity back to the power company and during the hours of darkness they take power off the grid...

Each house has a meter showing exactly how much electricity is being generated and how much is being sold back to the power company...

Our sun is dying.

These panels don't take power FROM the sun, they actually transmit power TO the sun from the national grid.

How do they fool people?

'Give them a meter to look at'

People love looking at meters, I mean who would not like to look at a screen telling them how well they are doing and how much money they have saved? It's not connected to anything, it's just there to pacify people. Just like those fuel economy 'computers' they put in cars, people take the readout as the truth, totally blind to the fact that as much as 30% of the cars wheel rotation is being used to turn the earth.

I'm telling you, now i've blown the whistle, everyone is trying to silence me, I'm a bit like that Jason Bourne actually.

Those PV instalations are only viable at the moment Roger as the electric companys ( therefore consumers) pay an inflated rate for the elec produced. They are also a bit of an eyesore. Once they can be built into the roof as tiles I am sure they will look better.

Hey Paul C. Since you got yourself a squashed Beetle you seem to have lost the plot. I would love to do an animation of the Porsche factory with Beetles going in one end into a press which squashes them and Porkers coming out the exit.

Anyway, I though Conspiracy Theories were my domain.

Malcolm. Here in good ole Africa, the power company does not buy power from anyone. A pal of mine has installed a system whereby his meter runs backwards as he puts power back into the grid during the day. He just has to make sure that he uses a small amount each month so as not to raise any alarms with the power company.

My brother works for an "alternate" power company. Its true in the UK any energy created by a household goes back into the grid. This effect is from the meter, so yes it turns backwards. If you had an empty space you could easily put up a solar farm and call yourself a power generator.....except the fact its ENgland and the sun doesn't shine much!! The Govt also pay a 5% of costs incurred reimbursement scheme to encourage fitment of such panels. If you invest £10,000 in solar panels you will get £500 a year from the govt....plus cheaper energy/heating/hot water bills.

Paul, Obviously seeing a huge male penguin has warped your mind. How many times have I told you that its the surface of the earth thats moving, all the cars/trucks stand still!!

when the earth was slowed down by the guy in pants, time slowed down

I slowed the earth on Saturday night???????

There is a gulley in the centre of our roof, not visible from the ground at all.

One half faces south.

It can be accessed from the loft space by a hatch.

Thats where I keep all my secret things.

BUT, there is potential for solar panels. Problem is, the cost and efficiency.

You would think, that with interest growing exponentially it seems, that tech would follow suit?

Does anyone know if solar panel efficiency is improving significantly?

In other words, worth waiting until they are cheaper/more efficient?

BTW Paul, as our Sun is "dying", thats good news as it will start to shine brighter for a while. It will also grow, getting somewhat closer. Hydrogen fusion will then move to helium fusion and we will be OK for abit longer huh.png

Anyway, since they have probably seen the god particle, we dont have to worry any more at all, do we? Everything will be free.

Or, God will smote us all. (notice the use of capitalisation that time, just in case ermm.gif )

Edited by slewthy

Back on topic.....

About these here turbines in Scotland.

You do know that earlier in the year (April), the companies that operate some of them were paid £900,000 (yes nearly a million!) to STOP generating. Apparently the national grid pay generators to stop generating in order to balance the load.

The payments were 20 times greater than the cost of the electricity they produce.

Article here

The next month they also had to switch them off. Total cost £2.6 million funded by the energy consumers - you and me!

Article here

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

On topic is why the turbine blew up, that's the original question.

harhar.gif

Off topic is chatter about various alternative energy solutions, their cost, and how good they are.

Off topic is also how anything moving contributes to the rotation of the earth at a cost of it's intended function.

Neither more valid than the other, being both off topic and failing to answer the original question.

So back on topic, is it me, or just below the turbine, does the firey bit falling look like a helicopter?

post-1-0-85104400-1323430058.jpg

huh.png