free hit
counters
Lotus Originals opens factory shop in Hethel - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Lotus Originals opens factory shop in Hethel

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least they've got 2 now :lol:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Hardly friggin news is it? It just looks like the same factory shop thats been there for years!! And stocking Lotus Originals brandware is hardly news worthy. Must be running out of things to say before Xmas!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

You want to be editor?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Looks like a nice design of store, but you'd have to think they could have got a bit closer to a real lease by now - it's not as if the world is in a boom and there are too many people looking for store locations.

Maybe the kit is good quality (Ferrari's definitely is - my 6 year old gets presents even though he's a huge Lewis fan). The problem is that if I want Loro Piana I'll just buy it from them. (My wife will say I do far too often as it is). Their Roadster jacket is a great design for wearing whilst driving open on a colder day & I live in mine half the year but the great thing about their stuff is that it hasn't got logos all over it.

Problem is that unknown brand (for clothing) without seeing it 'in the thread' it's always going to struggle.

• 2 weeks later...

According to Evo, Lotus have just signed a lease on a shop in Regent St, due to open April 2012.

Evora NA

Call me a cynic but I think they should give away branded clothing after all it does promote a brand. You wont catch me wearing anything blatantly branded unless someone gives it to me.

There's money to be made in merchandise!

tifosi_97.jpg

Evora NA

If you want an Xmen Wolverine jacket then you can buy one that's more accurate, costs less, and better quality, from anywhere on the internet.

Unless you are actually going to MAKE stuff that is unique, rather then some buy-to-order pen/cup/mug/jacket combo that a hundred other companies brand with their logo, then you might as well be selling tacky trinkets on some out of season seaside pier, and throwing the unsold tat into the sea

I have a rack of leather jackets, including a wolverine and the Tom Cruise 'War of the worlds' i was wearing today, but if something on offer is a half arse'd, innacurate wannabe, looks a bit like something else, but not enough to infringe any copyright, inanely branded, but still sells (if somemone will buy it).

????

Clowns, catering for brand led cash cows.

You are not alone, there are people that would buy turds if it had Lotus/Porsche/whatever brand on them, as long as it comes from the maker (even though it's bought in from the maker and F all to do with them*) then that's just fine. Go to any car show and there are guys strutting round in this aftermarket but sold by the factory tat...

*see also those hideously dire quality 'Lotus' not made by Lotus fall apart caliper jap movement quartz throw away wrist watches, how shit are they? Has anyone opened the back of them and ebayed the quality movement? ($5 HK), go on, do it, buy a caseback tool and see what you have in there, utter valueless, non durable crap.

A month ago I stood at Hans Christian Anderson's grave in Copenhagen, and I swear the Emperors new clothes has never been more relevant then it is today, the man was a genius.

Tacky 'branded for the sake of it' sh1te.

It's so easy to leave the brand, lets hope the investment in new customers extends past that corporate badged merchandise that has 100% nothing to do with the brand. Any lazy company can rebrand the same pen that 100 other companies have before them.

Don't get me wrong here, porsche design do Exactly the same.

This all started well before I sold up, transfer on Parker pens, it's embarrassing and keeps Lotus down IMO.

There's enough history and enthusiasm to make this stuff pointless. It's an amazing company.

Burn the gift shop. Sell the history.

smile.png

Edited by Paul C

99.999% of anything isn't made by the company whose label adorn it, your point isn't relevant for the 21st century.

There are very few companies that don't outsource manufacturing nowadays. I'm sure you're aware that Apple have never made an iPhone, Nike don't made their own trainers, Adidas don't sow their own stripes on tracksuit tops.

Whats the difference between a t-shirt with 3 stripes on the sleeve and a leather jacket with a lotus badge on the chest?

Evora NA

The "gift shop" will appear to tourists, the potential markets in China, India, Russia etc are huge. Ferrari world was not built just for the fun of it.

My friend is a Powertrain Engineer at Ford I asked him why there were so many big engined cars considering petrol prices etc, he said the untapped markets I have mentioned are huge, and the people there who can afford it are very, very rich. So buying a few exspensive branded extras is not going to be an issue. As Bibs has shown look at the amount of Ferrari red at the F1 stands.

I agree Lotus need to build the cars, but its good to see the brand going up market.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

There's money to be made in merchandise!

Jeez, I had no idea the North Koreans were so in to Ferrari!

I almost think this whole issue isn't worth talking about. It's a sports car company. They're going to sell swag. Isn't that a given? And let's face it--given the amount of funding they've gotten, does anyone seriously expect Dany Bahar or Wiebke Bauer not to do things differently? They have something to prove and justify, and the more they rely on what came before them, the less value they appear to be bringing to the table. I'm certainly not buying a backgammon set, but I'll buy a bauble for my son or a tshirt and hat at the opening, but that has more to do with something to remember the day by and the fun I had being with friends while there, and pretty much nothing to do with the draw of the swag. Swag is just part of the landscape.

1983 "Investor's Special Edition" Turbo Esprit (#43/50) | 2012 Evora S

Whats the difference between a t-shirt with 3 stripes on the sleeve and a leather jacket with a lotus badge on the chest?

Cost, desirability and point.

When you do a 3 day course in optic fibre termination and your free pen is identical to the one in the factory shop???

When you go to a national trust country house and see their branded mug is the same as the Lotus one?

The difference is a worldwide brand that sells and a brand that whacks itself on anything non bespoke, or has something cheap made to badge as unique in the hope of sale.

It's not the same, that's the point, the embarrassment IS that it's not the same. It DOES NOT ADD ANYTHING POSITIVE to the brand.

You've carried enough lotus branded stuff from show to show, it's 'hot potatoes' , I've seen the rush and the queues that make me a liar.

Not.

The cars are, and always have been, good enough not to require really crap 'seaside rock' quality 'lifestyle' stuff, I still like lotus cars despite this stuff, so it surprises me lotus owning people still buy into it.

It has forever been the worst part of the factory tour: the 'stick them in the gift shop for half an hour' and leave them bit. The desperation sucks.

The first time I gave it 2 minutes then went outside (with many others, mainly smokers i freely admit), to look at the ducks bobbing about in that concrete gully outside the shop, I like ducks, they can swim, fly, walk and go underwater, personally I'd come back as a duck, but I digress...

The next time I dodged it, left the group and chatted to Brian Angus* in the carpark while some girl shouted 'we're going to the gift shop now' until she gave up on me.

*I should mention here that a 20 minute chat with Brian is worth missing anything, even the factory tour. I count myself Very fortunate to have owned an Esprit when He and Geoff were still at Lotus and driving the factory Esprit test mule. I think I owned Esprits in the very best times possible in respect of factory support and interest, and I am very, very grateful to have done do.

:)

Your talking entirely from a personal perspective, Lotus are a big company. They're currently selling £120k cars to Chinese people who want and pay for these kind of accoutrements too and £180k cars are just around the corner. If you spend £180k on a car, you want a keyring which costs more than £6.50.

Evora NA

Roger, go and buy a MP4-12C at £170K+ and they still charge you for the car mats etc.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

If I were spending 180k, $270,000 on a car, I'd expect to be given the bloody key ring.

People who can drop 180K on a car (who are the target demographic and can afford it) won't even bat an eyelid on another few thousand for some merchandise ....

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!