free hit
counters
Bye Scotland! - Page 4 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Bibs

Bye Scotland!

7 hours ago, pete said:

so the scots are after another vote to leave and now the welsh are talking the same. Both seem to think they can join the EU as independent countries so is time to give them what they[nicola sturgeon] want?

I thought that Wales voted to Leave?

Oh hang on a minute boyo, we’ve finally realised that doing that would mean no more massive EU hand-outs. I don’ think the rest of the EU would want Wales in the EU.

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

If Scotland leave it would be great to see the end of that SNP bloke who whinges non-stop in parliament. Every PMQs he seems to be allowed to ask several "questions" which are not really questions at all but just endless moans about how the UK treats Scotland so badly, apparently.

The population of Scotland is around half that of London. They get far too much air time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barrykearley said:

Absolutely ludicrous - they want freedom from the uk - but are desperate to be shackled to the Eu. 

Speaking as a person born, bred and living in Wales I feel somewhat qualified to add my view to the subject.

I can understand the desire by some for independence, the Welsh economy was hollowed out in the 70's and 80's and there is still a lingering resentment towards Westminster. The area in which I live was devastated and has not even come close to recovering - things that we have lost:

Countless mines, several steel plants, many automotive part manufacturers, chemical industries, pharmaceutical manufacturing and research, a myriad of support industries - not to mention the complete and utter destruction of the railway infrastructure. The devastation inflicted on the area in a condensed time frame didn't give the economy, or the people,  time to adapt and it has left a wasteland.

That said, my friends and peers in no way want the Welsh Assembly - it is seen merely as another talking shop and a further layer of useless Politicians talking and ultimately achieving nothing. The Assembly have recently pulled plans for the desperately needed M4 relief road having spent £114 without laying a single inch of tarmac - truly staggering. Those that are in work, earning over the average wage shudder at the though of the Welsh government wielding their newly gained tax raising powers - you can be sure that they will hammer those that are in work on an average wage and above.

I don't believe that leaving the UK will solve any of the problems that Wales has. From my experience those calling for independence are either part of the Welsh Crachach, Welsh language crackpots or the young who have no real skin the game.

On a side note I am perplexed as to why the Scottish and Welsh nationalists are somewhat encouraged despite their vile anti English rhetoric, yet English nationalism is frowned upon. Double standards of the highest order in my view. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve always found it hypocritical when politicians gain employment in organisations they despise. Take the SNP or Plaid Cymru in Westminster and UKIP and Farage in Brussels/Strasbourg. Let’s hope they find life on the dole if they achieve their objectives.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Frickin_idiot said:

. The area in which I live was devastated and has not even come close to recovering - things that we have lost:

Countless mines, several steel plants, many automotive part manufacturers, chemical industries, pharmaceutical manufacturing and research, a myriad of support industries - not to mention the complete and utter destruction of the railway infrastructure. The devastation inflicted on the area in a condensed time frame didn't give the economy, or the people,  time to adapt and it has left a wasteland.

The same paragraph applies to many areas of England, Scotland and Northern Ireland, as well as many other Western nations. Not sure why Wales thinks it’s a special case. On a side note have they finished that Heads of the Valleys dual carriageway yet? How many years has that been work in progress?

The Heads of the Valleys dual carriageway is still a work in progress - although it is an area that I don't frequent.

I don't believe that Wales thinks that it is any more of a special case than the other regions that you mentioned but it does explain why areas such as this may be more open to changing the status quo. The area was completely destroyed during a 10-20 year period, as were many parts of the north of England. Just because the same problems have been inflicted on other regions doesn't make it right.

The Welsh and Scottish Nats rightly point the finger at Westminster for not taking appropriate actions to rebalance the economy - more could and should have been done. That said I do not believe that the Nationalists would take the appropriate steps to increase the competitiveness of their respected regions and I do still believe in the union.

2 hours ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

I thought that Wales voted to Leave?

Oh hang on a minute boyo, we’ve finally realised that doing that would mean no more massive EU hand-outs. I don’ think the rest of the EU would want Wales in the EU.

According to a recent report Wales receives £245 million pounds more EU money than is paid in - hardly a massive EU hand-out. 

That’s a net contribution from the EU of £79 per person per year in Wales. In comparison, the whole of the UK population (inc. Wales) paid £151 to the EU (data from same report). That’s a massive discrepancy to me. I.e. every Welsh person is effectively benefiting to the tune of £230 per year in comparison to UK population in general.

The EU must look at the situation with horror! They are set to lose the UK's massive annual contribution to their budget and gain two additional states that both require economic subsidies to survive. I hope those German tax payers are prepared to dig a bit deeper into their pockets.

With all these referendums going on, I think it only fair that we English get one.

I reckon if we had a referendum on English independence from Scotland and Wales........

We would all be called racists. 

• Like 1

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

10 minutes ago, Kimbers said:

I reckon if we had a referendum on English independence from Scotland and Wales........

You are, I fear, quite correct. It seems that everyone in England is a racist, and everyone in Scotland and Wales is a cuddly nationalist who supports progressive politics.

• Haha 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

Anyone know when the wall contracts are up for tender ?

Only here once

Just now, Barrykearley said:

Anyone know when the wall contracts are up for tender ?

I believe the lighting contract for the watch towers will be up for grabs soon Barry. Followed by the contract for the corrugated tin roofs and the 40 calibre twin mounted, lazer guided guns....

• Love 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

5 hours ago, Kimbers said:

Reckon it would be a landslide

• Like 1

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

15 hours ago, pete said:

Reckon it would be a landslide

Racist

• Haha 1

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Thanks

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

hindsight: the science that is never wrong