free hit
counters
Bye Scotland! - Page 5 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Bye Scotland!

Bibs

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, Smapmap said:

I'm sorry you've been subject to anti English abuse  - that is totally unacceptable.

I lived in England for 12 years and had similar so I know how you feel and it's not right . My wife is English and has thankfully never had any negative experiences after 15 years living in Scotland. Hopefully it's becoming a thing of the past. Unfortunately there are bampots everywhere!! :(

Appreciate this is  banter between pals but it's on a public forum - I just happened to stumble across the thread and am pretty peeved off with some of the comments here. 🤬

Anyway.... back to the safety of the Evora forum lol 👍

My wife, also English has been here now 11 years and a bloody shop keeper said to her she had no right to speak local dialect which she has picked up over the years.  Guess who now do a round trip of 6 miles just for a pint of milk rather than give her trade. Her loss.

• Love 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

You know i do find it all rather funny and given my family (i guess 50:50) I do think I can see both sides.

The English will rib the Scots in England. But generally I would say the majority is good natured.

My mother is 75, lived in England for a long good while but I even catch her now making comments about "bloody whining whinging Scots" - I do pull her up on it and remind her she is a Scot. I get that look!  👀

However, there really is often an undertone from many, noway near all, Scots though with their Anyone But England and we hate England etc jibes. When I mention it to my neighbours in Scotland. I get that look 👀

I do believe though the real issue is that we have had nigh on 15 years of Salmond, Sturgeon (what is it about SNP leaders and fish) and that quite frankly idiot Blackford constantly sniping, whining and whinging about English, England and Westminster.

As a result, I do believe what we are no seeing is a reaction. A backlash. An enough is enough and just .... Off, we don't need you, response from a lot of English (a bit like with the EU - the English have a long history of taking it for so long then bam). And that attitude. That response. Is just so typical Anglo Saxon. So typical English. BUT, and here's the rub. That response really winds up the Scottish Nationalists. So the circle is fulfilled and around we go again.

The anti-english sentiment can be very strong around where I live. It can be very venomous.

There is no excuse for it from either side. Both sides are guilty. I guess a divorce will fix it. But at what cost to each side?

• Like 1

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

• Gold FFM
8 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

There is no excuse for it from either side. Both sides are guilty. I guess a divorce will fix it. But at what cost to each side?

Dunno - I reckon the new border wall will cost an absolute fortune though

Only here once

• Gold FFM

After moving to England many years ago there's something about Scotland that I never noticed until I was back visiting - it seems you can't sell anything in Scotland unless you prefix or affix it with the word "Scottish" or emblazon it with the Saltire. For example, Scottish Gas, Scottish Power, The Scottish Sun, etc. Even the big supermarkets pander to this with bespoke carrier bags for Scotland. I know it's national pride, an identity or perhaps just marketing but I didn't see the same whilst living in England, except for when the world cup was on of course! 

Now I'm back in Scotland with my English partner and son who are about to start learning Gaelic....

I feel there is no need for division of the United Kingdom. We can still be different, together.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Signature not working...

• 2 years later...

So next year she is going to try again whatever asking exactly the same question. Personally would have thought she might lose by more this time

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, PaulCP said:

She’s still banging on about “Scotland didn’t vote for Brexit” as being a reason for another referendum.

Whilst conveniently missing the point that Scotland "did not give the SNP, or her, a mandate for independence" at the last Scottish election. She, and her supporters seem to think that a minority government that has to "buy" support from the Green's means that she was given a majority by the voters.  Sturgeon struggles to spell democracy, as independence is a longer word I am surprised sometimes she can spell that.

We keep on being told up here that she has a mandate. Well, surely a real mandate would have come from the MAJORITY in Scotland putting the SNP in power would it not?

• Like 2

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

• Gold FFM

How far do we want to go with this rolling back of history anyway? You'll get Scottish independence, Welsh, Cornwall, Yorkshire.... Sussex, Wessex... Then we can have a king in each, because it's better to rule your own small bit with your own king.

All of that went really well the first time around. Europe was also much better with a divided Spain, Holy Roman Empire etc. History absolutely shows that division is the way forward.

• Like 2

Listening to Radio 5 Live this morning (Nicky Campbell not biased at all!!!!) and Several people came on and (of course) the SNP, likened it to a Divorce. They said:

Scotland is the poorer partner so should get a bigger % of the pot than England
The pot was to include English assets as well as joint ones
The Population are their kids and as such England should pay "maintenance" for 20 years
This Maintenance should be at least as much as they currently get per Capita
There should still be free use of Assets such as the tax governance, infrastructure, Currency, Oil and Gas and English tax income

Then they totally ignored everything above and said Scotland was wealthy and thats why the English didn't want them to leave and thats also why the EU will accept them immediately.

I know I have Scottish friends both here and locally and my wife is half Scottish, but I suspect many people who want to leave, get a nasty shock when they do! Am I the only one who thinks, "Just F Off for F**cks sake" and make it a total severence with no 20 years payments, split of English Assets etc? You want out then just go, but don't expect anything from us?

Sorry Scottish friends but this whole thing is wearing very thin now IMHO.

• Like 1

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

• Gold FFM

@Kimbers, if the invasion of the Ukraine by the Russians has taught us anything it is to not judge or treat a country or nation by it's political leaders. Hard not to I admit. If you are getting fed up with it think of the folk who live in Scotland, hearing about it constantly and somewhat concerned that it may actually happen. To ensure it doesn't happen the people of Scotland should be reassured by it's neighbours of the reasons to stay united, not treated with apathy and told to just f**k off already.

Sturgeon is comparable to Putin; blinkered and selfish. Fuelling her agenda on history and bigotry.

I've said it before, the last thing the world needs right now is more division.

• Like 2

Signature not working...

@MysteraeUnderstand where you are coming from but many of the people calling up were just Scottish members of the public.

The SNP seems to have done a good job of convincing a small but definate Majority, that you will be so much better off without the English who they seem to think are all Boris Johnson!

I genuinely believe a referendum will vote leave. Its a shame, but like I say, the SNP will just keep coming back again and again until they get the vote and the fact they keep getting in power shocks me but doesn't surprise me (knowing some of my in laws). frankly, I understand your point of view but I fear its a minority. From this morning if I wasn't an intelligent man, I would think the SNP and Scottish callers all think leaving the union will not only solve all their problems but Ukraine, World Poverty and reduce everyones cost of living :)

Sorry. Not trying to upset you but frankly some need to get what they want to realise what they had!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

• Gold FFM

Not at all upset @Kimbers, just tired of it too. 

The only way I'd support another referendum is that if Sturgeon promised to resign if the vote was a no. That would increase the voter count for sure!

• Like 2

Signature not working...

Although not Scotland’s  first minister at the time of the last referendum, wasn’t she quoted as saying that if the vote then was “no” she wouldn’t support another referendum, or am I just dreaming.

I agree that if another one takes place she has to agree to stand down if the vote is no.

However before any vote, as I have mentioned before, she has to show the Scottish people how she plans that Scotland can survive financially without ncluding pie in the sky assumptions.

• Gold FFM

The thing that kills me @Mysteraeis that Scotland is a beautiful place. The vast majority of Scots are very decent people. It's just a lot of them have been brainwashed into believing Independence is the ONLY solution and the scary thing is the brainwashing appears to be supported by the educational system.

I just hope we can put this to bed once and for all and just focus on making Scotland the best place to live. This sideshow is literally killing us 

• Gold FFM
On 29/06/2022 at 12:22, Kimbers said:

Then they totally ignored everything above and said Scotland was wealthy and thats why the English didn't want them to leave and thats also why the EU will accept them immediately.

I highly doubt the EU would do that. The Northern Ireland protocol is currently a monumental pain in the ass for them - accepting Scotland into the EU would be even more problematic.

Only here once

If and when Scotland re-join, it would be on a completely new set of EU imposed non-negotiable T&Cs and there would certainly be no preferential/priority treatment.  I would imagine mandatory debt reduction (AKA 'austerity'), free movement and of course the Euro.   It's also hard to see how an open border with England could work.  But equally inconceivable that a border crossing would be an acceptable solution to Brits (I'm also including Scottish folk as 'Brits').  I'm looking forward to reading NS's proposals in due course.     

• Gold FFM
20 minutes ago, 910Esprit said:

But equally inconceivable that a border crossing would be an acceptable solution to Brits (I'm also including Scottish folk as 'Brits').  I'm looking forward to reading NS's proposals in due course. 

Cannot see how a hard border could not exist. The issue is that Scotland would have "free movement" from within the EU, and unlike NI/Ireland there is not a large body of water to cross that forces border controls.  I do believe that once the full facts of what all of this REALLY means, as opposed to what Nicola WANTS people to believe, comes out then there will be some interesting conversations. But that also means that Remain really needs to get its shit together so it can articulate the impacts and ask the DIRECT questions of Nicola and not let her off the hook with her answers. Can't see that happening based on past performance :(

• 3 months later...

Just taking in points from the Fish’s speech, still swimming in cloudy waters & dreaming of SturgeonLand.

It would seem that SturgeonLand being a member of the EU is a pure formality and that Scotland is better prepared for independence than it was in 2014, although she conveniently doesn’t say how 🤔

She says she has loads of detail & will take journalists questions later. Please let there be a decent journalist amongst you, not just reporters, and ask her to reveal details of her fully costed 10 & 20 year vision for a viable independent Scotland. She surely can’t be flying blind in her quest to get votes, in the same way that she has recently accused Truss of 🙄

• Gold FFM

@PaulCP and she reckons Oil and Gas (that she wants to kill off totally) will deliver her a $20bn sovereign fund to drive growth!

You also missed the bit Paul about joining the EU and having an open border with rUK and NI!  F##king bonkers!

And only at the weekend she telling Kuensberg was it about how the SNP government is all about transparency etc....

However, plenty up here are sucking the coolaid from the straw and whoopin' and a holerin' about how great Independence will be.

2 hours ago, C8RKH said:

@PaulCPHowever, plenty up here are sucking the coolaid from the straw and whoopin' and a holerin' about how great Independence will be.

Ah, so they are all off to the promised land with the deluded Messiah.

She is guilty of political evangelism, the gospel according to Nic!