free hit
counters
South African Road Carnage - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Roger 912

South African Road Carnage

Quite frightening. Statistics have just been released for the month of December. So far 800 people have been killed in road accidents in this month alone on South African roads!

In one instance a taxi, a Toyoto Micro Bus licensed to carry 22 people,(10 seater in a civilised Country) crashed head on into a truck on a bend in the road. 30 of the 37 people in the Taxi were killed. You can imagine the weight of the occupants on the tyres and the inability to steer the taxi when speeding and trying to take a bend in the road.

Due to the carnage caused by speeding and overloaded taxis, road safety are looking at dropping the maximum speed limit from 120 kph to 100 kph. The blerry idiots do not realise that the taxis do not adhere to any speed limits and dropping the speed limit to 100 kph will cause more accidents as the taxis will want to overtake the now slower moving traffic.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Same old, it's better to enforce meaningful laws than impose more restrictive ones that are enforced no better than the old ones.

Corporate manslaughter legislation in the UK was a good idea as a piece of legislation, now following a few directors ending up in prison we can only hope it will mean that personal safety will not just bother them on the balance sheet (fines, damages etc) but concern directors etc that they can be seen to be at fault by inactivity either for a known problem or for not checking if their safety precautions are adequate.

Somehow I doubt that would have any effect on the taxi scenario you mention, I guess the owner was the driver and one of the first to die.

These Toyotas that are modified to carry 18 passengers not 22 as I thought are the Toyota Hi Ace. Some are driven by their owners but most are owned by a dude and he employs drivers.

I have actually been in one of them on an overnight trip down to Cape Town to collect a car. The driver was driving in excess of 100 mph on many occasions with 18 plus passengers, talking on his cellphone, drinking a coke and overtaking on double white lines. Most of the taxis are not even fitted with safety belts, not that the normal passengers would wear them. You take your life in your hand in one of these.

The income derived from these thousands of taxis is not in the income tax system and they even get refunds on petrol slips meaning that they do not pay as much for petrol as the normal motorist.

Never give one of them the finger for cutting you up on the road as you could get a bullet through your windscreen.

Still not the end of the month but the total has now exceeded 900 dead. Yesterday another taxi had a head on with a Mercedes killing 19, four of them occupants of the Merc.

You take your life in your hands when you go out on the road here.

Any statistics for the UK for the month of December?

I routinely honk and flip those arrogant assholes the bird. Fuck them. They're a menace. Aren't they supposed to be limited to 80 anyway????

Luke Colorado, Super Spy.   -  Lotus Owner No Longer

1987 Zender Widebody 560SEC | 1994 Lotus Esprit S4 | 2013 Honda Fit EV (#269)

Makes getting your car resprayed for £40 all worth it, no? :huh:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Yesterday the police arrested a motorist for exceeding the speed limit in a 60 k.p.h. built up area. He was caught at 212 k.p.h.

That is automatic confiscation of motor vehicle and jail time after the court case. The dude would have spent the night in jail awaiting his trial.

No wonder we have such high death tolls in South Africa.

I am sure that deaths for the month of December will exceed 1000.

Last year an S.A. pop star was dicing his pal in Soweto and they both lost control and ploughed into a pile of children on the side of the road killing most. At the court case, the two pleaded not guilty. The case still continues.

I've lived here for 3.5 months and based mostly on anecdotal information I'd say the legal system and police force are massively fucked up.

Firstly, there are no cops. I rarely see police in Durban and I have a long commute. I see tons of private security, of course.

Secondly, the legal system seems as shameless as are the criminals. I've heard many stories murders buying their way out of jail time. Murders!

I fear the fabric of this society is much, much, too thin. I'm not sure I could be here long term, as beautiful as it is.

You moved to South Africa? :huh: Wow!

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Well, not exactly. It's a stunningly beautiful country (outside the cities; except cape town) and the dollar is very strong, and the roads are great, and the plants and animals are crazy, but.. It's a dangerous, heavily privatized, very disparate place.

######

Edited by karmavore