free hit
counters
Originality - Photographic Record - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Originality - Photographic Record

I am asking for photographs of the front compartment of S1 and 1983 Turbo cars.

I am trying to collate photographs in an attempt to build up a picture of how the cars were originally supplied. I appreciate that these vehicles have invariably been modified over the years but I am trying to establish definitively what was original.

With all members help I will be attempting to do this for all areas of the cars but need to start somewhere.

My knowledge is limited but collectively I am sure we can produce a visual record with is historically accurate.

The sooner we do this the better. My apologies in advance if this has been done before but I cannot find any reference to such a record.

Chris

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am asking for photographs of the front compartment of S1 and 1983 Turbo cars.

I am trying to collate photographs in an attempt to build up a picture of how the cars were originally supplied. I appreciate that these vehicles have invariably been modified over the years but I am trying to establish definitively what was original.

With all members help I will be attempting to do this for all areas of the cars but need to start somewhere.

My knowledge is limited but collectively I am sure we can produce a visual record with is historically accurate.

The sooner we do this the better. My apologies in advance if this has been done before but I cannot find any reference to such a record.

Chris

Chris,

The first photo is my Lagoon blue S1 front compartment (LHD). I think it looks original.

The second photo is a LHD 87 Turbo HCI front compartment. I hope this help.

Tom

post-13656-0-85826600-1325899988.jpg

post-13656-0-68155900-1325900203.jpeg

Edited by 7veloce

Chris,

I took a few hundred photographs of 134H, a 100% original time capsule. They are on another computer. I'll dig them up and maybe start a gallery; it would make a great source. But please note, there are little detail changes throughout S1 production, and an early (1976) S1 will look different from an early (1977) Federal S1, which will look different from a mid-1977 S1 which will look different from a late 1977 S1 which will look different from a 12/77-1978 S1:

Early S1 1976: Little round "cap" in front of early style blower, black or (IIRC) body colored. Teardrop shaped reservoir. Possibly no microswitch to disable headlamp motor when lid open. Mostly UK cars, probably no Federal cars.

Early 1977 (predominantly Federal) S1: Trapezoidal-shaped cover in front of most prevalent style blower motor, mostly body-colored, a few in black plastic. Rectangular brake reservoir. Microswitch to disable lamp motor is normal.

Mid-1977 S1: Blower motor cover changes to black plastic.

Late 1977 S1: Three relays added to front compartment near the brake and clutch reservoirs on Federal cars.

December '77 - 1978 S1: A lot of them had dual headlamp motors a la S2, and therefore had different hinges up front.

I'm not totally clear on whether any S1s actually left the factory with Air Conditioning (it appears some did, but there's no official word saying so), but that might be what's represented in Tom's photo above (unless that's a dealer/importer install). S2s had a different shroud over the equipment.

Cheers,

Tony

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE