free hit
counters
Losing power at high speed - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Losing power at high speed

Hello !

I have a 88 Esprit Turbo (carbs version),

at relative high speed (>=110mph) when accelerating hard, at a certain point the car doesn't want to continue to accelerate, the motor seems to "grazes" or "coughs" (I really don't know how to say it). It seems that the motor doesn't deliver its power, I have to decelerate to find again the motor working fine,

it occurs only in the end of the 4 or 5 gear,

in the 1,2 or 3 gear, the car is accelerating to +6000rpm very strongly and then in fourth after 4000rpm suddenly the engine coughs...

any idea ?

many thx for your replies, +

Edited by Grandsport

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello !

I have a 88 Esprit Turbo (carbs version),

at relative high speed (>=110mph) when accelerating hard, at a certain point the car doesn't want to continue to accelerate, the motor seems to "grazes" or "coughs" (I really don't know how to say it). It seems that the motor doesn't deliver its power, I have to decelerate to find again the motor working fine,

it occurs only in the end of the 4 or 5 gear,

in the 1,2 or 3 gear, the car is accelerating to +6000rpm very strongly and then in fourth after 4000rpm suddenly the engine coughs...

any idea ?

many thx for your replies, +

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi

What is your boost reading ?

Simplest things first.

do you think the problem could come from a weakness in the turbo at high speed ?

there is a british owner in the same garage with a 88 turbo too and he is facing the same problem, :)

never seen that in the other side of the channel ? B)

+V

Sounds very much like fuel starvation to me. An elderly fuel pump that can't keep pace with the fuel demand has got to be a likely candidate for the cause of the problem.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree sounds like fuel starvation. Check fuel pressure regulator should be 4-4.5 psi on tick over. and remain 4 psi above boost pressure.

Also check float hieght 1mm out can make a lot of difference when on boost.