free hit
counters
Unplug yellow air bag connector - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Unplug yellow air bag connector

Before I screw up yellow air bag connector, under steering colume, trying to unplug it, can anyone enlighten me as to how you uncouple it? Hard to get to and/or see very well; any tips will be more than I know now,,,hope someone can help - always paranoid about damaging for lack of knowledge.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I recall, there's a "latch" on the side or top of the connector you have to disengage before the male/female couplers will separate.

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

to be on the 'safest side' ..as possible -unplug the battery, what for maybe half an hour (should erase any current in capacitors, I hope) ..you can undo additionally the 15Amp & 5 Amp fuses under the dash (see yellow *SIR marked cables on passenger side)

there is an additional connector on the steering collum, if you need to open the wiring there ..but the actual connector is just an "clip on"-type on the rear of the driver airbag module -turn the steering to an usefull angle Left/right and undo the srews on the rear

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

I'm hoping to swap-out my (showing age) wheel with a nearly new wheel I purchased on ebay. I'm planning on using the air bag from my old wheel as the newer center has some cosmetic damage. Also toying with the idea of haveing the new wheel re-raped with some high quality leather while possibly adding some silver leather at the top or something"".. I've read about ECU having to go through a relearning process when the battery is disconnected. Is there much to that? or not a real big deal. Going to talk to a good local euro. car mechanic before proceeding to far..thank you for the replies.

If you are swapping the wheel and airbag it is easier to unplug the harness at the airbag and leave the connector under the column.

I was told to disconnect the battery first because (on porker ecu, am sure the lotus will use a simpler unit) if I pulled just the airbag connector (my first idea) then it would set the airbag light off in the dash requiring dealer reset. So I pulled the battery, gave it a few minutes, unplugged the airbag dead, did my stuff, plugged it back in dead, reconnected the battery.

Disconnecting the battery is easy, just two wires, so I just did that.

:D

That's a given, you should always disconnect the battery when working on the airbag system. I was referring to his original question of unplugging the connector under the column. The one at the airbag is easier to get to and to unplug.

That being said, with the Esprit you won't get any permant SIR codes if you don't disconnect the battery. The light will go out as soon as you plug it back in. As Paul said, this is not the case with many other cars particularly later models.

1995 S4s

..as said smoke.gif

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..